OT - Buying a Spotting Scope

So I went to the range on Sunday to sight in my new rifle. I found that without a spotting scope, I would have to wait 30-40 minutes to go downrange and look at my target. So I have to buy a scope.

It looks like there's three choices. A no-name $60-$100 scope, a Bushnell Spacemaster for $300, or a name brand Nikon/Pentax/Leopold for > $400.

The scope will be used for casual shooting at 100 yards, 30 caliber bullets.

I don't want to spend more than $400 and I'd like to get off considerably cheaper if possible.

Any recommendations?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Jim Stewart wrote on Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:57:38 -0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

For casual shooting, "whatever works". I picked up a generic scope for I don't want to spend more than $400 and I'd like

-- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I use a pair of 20X binoculars. Barska, $20 on sale.

I have a cheap tasco spotting scope. It's junk.

Reply to
RB

Get one with an angled eye piece. You do not want a scope that has an inline one. Trust me.

After that, you need sharp optics and a good support (stand)

Wes

Wes

Can you see bullet holes through your rifle scope?

Have you tried those targets that have special coating to better show where bullets impacted?

I cannot say anything meaningful about spotting scopes, but will be reading this thread with interest.

Ignoramus30863

Darned near anything will work for 30 cal at 100 yds. Even a decent 9x riflescope can see the holes. When you go to 22 cal, or start stretching out to 200 and

300 yds the cheap ones fall off pretty fast. I've got a cheap Simmons variable that works just dandy at 100. Might have paid $40 for it with junky tripod and case.
Reply to
Bill Marrs

Your range doesn't rent them? Depending on how often you go to the range, consider that. The place I used to shoot would rent them out by the hour for three or four dollars an hour.

Tom Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:57:38 -0800, the infamous Jim Stewart scrawled the following:

I'm cheap and bought the $30 spruce-wood Belarussian scope from HF. It doesn't have an angled eyepiece so it's a PITA to use, but it works. HF no longer sells them.

Yeah, just one: don't go to the range on Sunday afternoon with 500 other people.

-- A great preservative against angry and mutinous thoughts, and all impatience and quarreling, is to have some great business and interest in your mind, which, like a sponge shall suck up your attention and keep you from brooding over what displeases you. -- Joseph Rickaby

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Look at scopes. Physically go to the dealers, then select what you want. Now shop price. Ebay, pawn shops, local newspapers that advertise goods for sale, like Quick Quarter, or whatever it's called where you are. We have a local AM radio show called Tradio. You get to put pretty much whatever you want on there, but not commercials. I called in today for telephone poles, and within one minute a guy called me with three of them begging me to come drag them off. I will go Saturday with chain saw and trailer.

Reply to
SteveB

I have a Burris Landmark 15-45x60 that I'm very happy with, cost under $200. I think it's a lot of scope for the money. I actually got it for spying on bass fishermen from my deck at the lake, (what are they throwing today?) but then got back into riflery and find it quite satisfactory at the range. There's also a 20-60X80 Burris Landmark. I chose the 15-45 because it's considerably smaller and lighter with ample power for my uses. Burris also makes a fixed power 20X50 which would probably be quite sufficient for 30 cal at 100 yd. About $85.

None of these have an angled eyepiece. I might prefer an angled eyepiece, but I don't find not having one to be a problem.

Some of the no-name stuff is utter crap. I compared Burris with Bushnell, found Burris to be markedly superior. I also compared it to Nikon. The Nikon was a little better, but not enough better to pay twice the price.

Things to look for: sharpness of course, brightness of course, also an acceptably large exit pupil so it isn't critically fussy about where your eyeball is. Some scopes are difficult to use because your eye has to be in exactly the right place or you don't see anything at all.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I got a Kowa angle eyepiece model (TS-7) about 20 years ago for about $200. Excellent quality. Quite a bit at the time but a bargain compared to today's prices. The smartest thing I did was get a "long eye relief" eyepiece. Wearing glasses makes seeing through a regular eyepiece a pain. You get a full clear view with the LER.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Meyer

^^^^^^^^^^^^

You misspelt "AR15 posers", otherwise you're right.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Sorry, my clever carrots didn't work. I think you know what I meant.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 21:56:14 -0800, the infamous Jim Stewart scrawled the following:

The carets were in their proper place when I saw them, Jim. Agent 5 + Courier New font.

-- A great preservative against angry and mutinous thoughts, and all impatience and quarreling, is to have some great business and interest in your mind, which, like a sponge shall suck up your attention and keep you from brooding over what displeases you. -- Joseph Rickaby

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Unfortunately, most cheaper scopes don't come with an LER eyepiece, so you are best off trying a few, which means hitting the brick & mortar stores. On the cheaper scopes, there can be significant varition from unit to unit, so try the one you are going to buy, not just a display model. I had to go through 5 "identical" $80 B&L plastic scopes to find one that would focus down to 33 feet for my basement air gun range.

30 caliber at 100 yards doesn't take a super duper scope. You don't need zoom, and in your price range, the extra money you pay for it will give you inferior optics compared to a fixed power scope. If you only plan on shooting in broad daylight, you probably don't need anything bigger than a 50 mm objective. 20 power should be plenty.

I just bought a Kowa TS-501 scope for $150 on eBay. It has good optics, and a 45 degree eyepiece. I got it for pistol shooting out to 50 yards (mostly .22), but I suspect it would work fine for 30 caliber holes at

100 yards. They don't specifically claim it has super long eye relief, but my wife shoots with one & she has never complained about problems with her glasses.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

This gets asked with regularity on the shooting forums. Here are a series of messages I saved from several years ago. They favor Champion's Choice or Kowa scopes.

I have a BSA Cateye 15-45 X 50 with a long eye relief ocular at 45º. It's fine on a sunny day, but late in the afternoon, particularly on a cloudy day I have problems seeing the holes in the target at 100 yds. It was about $80 when I got it on sale several years ago. Today, I think I'd save up and buy one of the scopes recommended by the regular target shooters.

Saved messages below.

________________________

From: Troy Burns To: snipped-for-privacy@egroups.com Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 10:40:11 -0600 Subject: Re: [CB-L] Spotting scope question

Chase,

I can make a specific recommendation here. We use spotting scopes in NRA Highpower shooting all the time.

The most highly recommended of the moderate priced scopes, and the kind I have, is the Champion's Choice CC645 22 x 60mm spotting scope. It has a 60 mm objective, a standard 22x eyepiece, and excellent optics. The eyepiece mounts at a 45° angle, which is desirable for most shooting.

I have looked through a lot of spotting scopes, and I would not even consider buying any other scope that costs less than about $600 including eyepiece.

If greater magnification is desired (not usually needed for shooting sports) up to 50X eyepieces are available for $50 each. A clamp to adapt the scope to a tripod mount is $16.00 and a padded water resistant cover, which can be left on the scope when it is in use, costs $25.

You will find that most scopes in the higher price ranges are priced without the eyepiece, which can cost more than the entire Champion's Choice scope.

Available from Champion's Choice, Inc., 201 International Blvd., LaVergne, TN 37086, phone 800 345 7179.

PS: If I absolutely had to have a more compact scope, I would buy the

50mm Kowa from the same company for $150-$220.

tb _________________

From: jimpa To: snipped-for-privacy@egroups.com Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 12:28:11 -0800 Subject: Re: [CB-L] Spotting scope question

Look for someone with a used 77mm Kowa who upgraded to the new 82mm scope and buy their old scope from them, Great spotting scope.

_____________________

From: Dale LeDoux To: snipped-for-privacy@egroups.com Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 17:48:35 -0600 Subject: Re: [CB-L] Spotting scope question

Chase-- One that I find highly recommended is the Champion's Choice 22x60mm, with the 45 degree eyepiece, sold by (oddly enough) Champion's Choice, Inc.

their info: Champion's Choice, Inc.

201 International Blvd. Lavergne, TN 37086 PH: 615-793-4066/800-345-7179

CC caters to the competitive shooting community, and their scope is a great value. A lot of them are used out there.

From: Herm

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

There is a store called Sportsman Warehouse. They will send you a catalog. There is one in my town. They had some great ones the other day for less than $100 WITH a tripod. For what you want, they should be fine. If they don't have one on sale in the catalog, call the St. George, Utah, store, and maybe they have a store special, and can have it to you by Priority Mail in a few days.

Last two evenings, a common road that we travel on, we saw some deer. First herd was 52, the next 36. Several bucks of nice size in the first group. Think we will pop over and get one, and the attachment that goes on the window. Last evening, fewer, but we waited, and right at sunset, they came trailing down the mountain, pretty as could be. Mule deer.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB