OT can crusher

With some care I can balance my whole 200 pounds on an empty, aluminium soft drink can, then Junior hits it with a stretched elastic and the can gets a whole lot shorter in a hurry. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

this should make you all laugh!!. Im a siversmith and minter in the UK, and just for fun, I put a flat topped steel billet say 4in dia by 4in thich in between the poppets or clamps on my drop hammer anvil. this hammer falls 3 ft under gravity and weighs 275 lbs. Gives well over

50 tons of dynamic energy when you stop it dead in say 1/16th in. so inm told. Place one empty ali beer can on said billet, release hammer, said can is now 3/16th in thick and a perfect crinkled disc.There aught to be a prize for the best crushed can. Offered by the brewery. More beer id suggest. Can do some 20 a minute. If any one wants to see picture of the end result please post. The can acts as a perfect slow me down for the hammer. Theyrarely split just crinkle up. with s sigh as the air acts as a cusion. Doesnt help to have any beer residues, that sprays out all over the shop!!.
Reply to
ted frater

A friend offered me a Coca-Cola at an event last Summer. It tasted better than any Coke I've drunk in a long time. She said it was Canadian bottled Coke. Canada, she said, did not permit high-fructose corn syrup as a sweetener in soft drinks, but required real sugar.

Don't know for sure if that's factual or not, but it had sugar on the ingredients list and it tasted like Coca-Cola used to taste. :)

Reply to
John Husvar

Some work - but with a bit more research, they could be crushed!

Ian Stirling

Ian Stirling

Same thing with Mexico, but I think it's more a factor that they don't have import duties and price protections on Sugar, so it has both a cost and taste advantage over High Fructose Corn Syrup.

All the Liquor Stores and Mercado's in L.A.'s Latino neighborhoods do a brisk business in Bottled In Mexico Coca-Cola for the purists, even though they charge more.

It's Only In The USA that we allow the Sugar Producers to demand import tariffs to protect their profits, the food producers to cheap out on the ingredients and use HFCS instead of Sugar to save a nickel, and the consumers just accept it all without a peep.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Lots of interesting suggestions so far...

I use an old Asphalt Tamper for the tin cans headed to recycle. See for some example:

10 X 10" Tamper With Handle by Ames - True Temper

I've seen these for sale at Harbor Freight too. They are a little weighty, no problem for me though.

Just plop the can down upright on an old slab of cement and pound down. It doesn't get much simpler. Aluminum cans will be less than 1/8 inch thick after two thumps. Most steel cans will be much the same. Lots of times I nest 2-3 steel cans inside each other if the sizes permit it. Flatten them all to once with 4-6 thumps. It is a nice tool to have around for other things too, like tamping down dirt and asphalt :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Years ago, when I was working/living on the border in Texas, I always prefered Mexican Marlboro cigarettes over US ones. Tasted sweeter, didnt lock up your lungs as bad, and they were $3 a carton as opposed to $7

This in the mid 70s

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her t*ts" John Griffin

Reply to
Gunner

My latest idea on this one involves using an electric lawn mower (since I have a nice old one) inverted on a trash can. Block off the now top side with aluminum sheet with a can size hole in it. On the old top of the deck also make a hole. Turn it on, drop cans thru the hole and they will comeout the othe hole all chewed up but still obviously can material. I know that one is pretty stupid.

Reply to
daniel peterman

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but John Husvar wrote on Sat, 06 Jan 2007 07:26:10 -0500 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Actually, it is much more simpler than that. The US has it's own domestic Sugar Cartel, which maintains a price for sugar in the United States which is (last I heard) about double that on the world market. So between a handful of sugar certificate holders, and the "corn lobby", sugar costs more in the US than elsewhere. Hence US manufacturers switched to corn syrup as a less expensive alternative. Also why a number of candy companies relocated manufacturing out of the US.

Yep. And I live close enough to Canada (and a Costco store just over the border), to consider it worthwhile for "special" events. Now I have two grades of booze and pop: the stuff for mixing, and the stuff for sipping.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich "Given our monstrous, overgrown government structure, any three letters chosen at random would probably designate an agency or part of a department that could be profitably abolished." Milton Freidman

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I made a one shot one a couple of years ago. used a cylinder liner and a spark ignition system to drive down the piston with a crush ram on place of the con rod :) frame from 2" angle iron, and remote ignition to allow a good distance from the unit. was 'very exciting' to use, but not very efficient ;)

Dave

Reply to
Dave S