OT Car won't start

That's what the roll bar is for. ;-)

Reply to
Rich Grise

We had an Oldsmobile Delta 88. It was an '87 IIRC. Had the 3.8L? transverse V-6. Anyway, my wife was driving when the belt broke, car came to a rather quick stop, as in she didn't have enough momentum to coast off the road. When I pulled the heads, I found a bunch of bent valve stems.

So yeah, GM was guilty too.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

What overhead valve engines are built that the piston will NOT contact the valves at TDC, providing that the valves are stuck open as they may be when a cam drive breaks?

Reply to
jbslocum

2.2l Subaru boxer.
Reply to
Jim Stewart

Gates publishes a timing-belt guide that indicates which engines are interference-type and which are non-interference (Gates calls them "free running"). In this list, if there is an asterisk next to the engine, it's an interference engine, which means that the valves can contact the pistons if the timing belt breaks:

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Volkswagon!

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

some of them listed.

some more.

VW has a few listed!

1976-91 All Except 1.9 2.1L Engine 1990-92 1.6L Golf (CANADA) Jetta 1990-95 2.0L GTI Jetta GLI Passat 1.5 Diesel 1.6 Diesel 1.8 Turbo 1.9 Diesel 2.5
Reply to
Steve W.