OT Car won't start

Helping neighbor with 1996 Dodge Intrepid. Car quit suddenly while on highway. Obviously, it won't start.

Replaced the following: (Auto wrecker lets us return parts for up to 30 days) (We pulled the parts ourselves)

Cam position sensor Crankshaft position sensor Coil Power train module computer Auto Shutdown Relay

We did the above after following all the diagnostics in the Chilton's manual. BTW, the wires to both sensors (cam & crankshaft) have the correct signal voltage (9± volts) with ignition on. No spark coming to plugs.

Any and all help diagnosing this would be greatly appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

What did the OBD code reader say?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Ivan Vegvary wrote: (Auto wrecker lets us return parts for up to 30

Can't help you, but as a lifelong parts guy, I find this rather amazing

Reply to
RBnDFW

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Yes, it's pretty amazing, isn't it? Of course we have not taken any parts back yet. We'll see how it goes.

The parts guy signs each park in a distinctly colored ink. Of course we do pay $2 entrance fee to the yard, whether you find your part or not. BTW, until recently this used to be a "You Pull It" wrecking chain, which was a division of Schnitzer steel. Their main focus has always been 'crushing and shipping to China', parts has been simply a sideline.

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

What about looking at a different manual? Are you simply following the manual's suggestions or do you have a schematic of the system? It would seem that such a firm failure could be traced fairly readily. Not that I haven't designed a few new cuss words over such a seemingly simple situation myself. In my background, we wrote the manuals when the vehicles were new (so we had to guess, sometimes), and seldom rewrote them when we knew what REALLY caused the failures. For instance: my 1978 Horizon stopped dead on the highway on the way to work. I had it towed to the dealer. They had found, 3 years after the car's intro to the market, that they had a bad solder joint on the ignition circuit's fusible link. It would look solid under the insulation, but wouldn't conduct juice. I'll bet that wasn't in the Chilton manual.

I've got a 1993 Voyager wagon. You have to get two or three service manuals to cover the whole car, and then there's no guarantee that what you've got is really for yours.

Pete Stanatiis

-----------------------------------

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Reply to
spaco

In my experience, when things don't make sense, check all the grounds. On a late model, a bad ground attachment in the trunk might kill the whole car.

Reply to
RBnDFW

(...)

When you measure the voltage (to ground) on each side of the ignition fuse, what is the reading?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

See how the terminal ends poke through the package and are available for probing while installed in the fuse block?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

You can get to all (most, anyway) of usenet through

rangerssuck

First, I'm not familiar with this particular car...

But did you first look over the the simple stuff, like the timing belt and all that?

Erik

Reply to
Erik

To Bill Putney and Erik YOU GUYS WIN THE PRIZE !! It is the timing belt. No camshaft movement. Thank you for the advice. Would not have thought to think about timing belt.

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

"Ivan Vegvary" fired this volley in news:HUBnm.901$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

Um.... you may have a bigger problem now. If that's an interference engine, you may have a LOT of other work to do besides just replacing the belt and re-timing the cam. Sorry... don't kill the messenger.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Cringe....indeed....

Sometimes its cheaper to sell the car and buy a duplicate than rebuild the head after the valves all went Crunch.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do--- his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Reply to
Gunner Asch

And get filtered by quite a few of us.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

$2.95 a month 12 GB dl

Wes

Wes

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 09:39:53 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Ivan, some vehicles need a valid oxy sensor to work. Check that, too.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Two questions:

  1. Is the insurance current, and would you make out if disaster befell the car?
  2. Just how much do you like that car?

HTH

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

(...)

I can always take myself down a notch.

Still, I think it's remarkable that bringing the camshaft 'offline' should produce no OBD codes at all. I've often thought of camshafts as being rather necessary....

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 16:16:30 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

I thought only Hondas had the bad fortune of misengineering to allow interference fits upon timing belt failure. Man, 24 years away from the field swipes memory...

-- Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. --Daniel Webster

Reply to
Larry Jaques