OT Car won't start

Helping neighbor with 1996 Dodge Intrepid. Car quit suddenly while on highway. Obviously, it won't start.
Replaced the following: (Auto wrecker lets us return parts for up to 30
days) (We pulled the parts ourselves)
Cam position sensor Crankshaft position sensor Coil Power train module computer Auto Shutdown Relay
We did the above after following all the diagnostics in the Chilton's manual. BTW, the wires to both sensors (cam & crankshaft) have the correct signal voltage (9± volts) with ignition on. No spark coming to plugs.
Any and all help diagnosing this would be greatly appreciated.
Ivan Vegvary
Add pictures here
✖
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

What did the OBD code reader say?
--Winston <-- "Nothing. Code reader's don't talk."
Add pictures here
✖

Code reader says "No codes" present. As I said, the car stopped suddenly on the highway. Maybe if your total ignitions system shuts down you don't get any codes? Don't know.
Thanks, Ivan Vegvary
Add pictures here
✖
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

In my experience, when things don't make sense, check all the grounds. On a late model, a bad ground attachment in the trunk might kill the whole car.
Add pictures here
✖
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

(...)
When you measure the voltage (to ground) on each side of the ignition fuse, what is the reading?
--Winston
Add pictures here
✖
Winston wrote:

See how the terminal ends poke through the package and are available for probing while installed in the fuse block?
http://media.digikey.com/photos/Cooper%20Bussmann%20Photos/BK%5EATC-7-1%5E2.jpg
--Winston
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 09:39:53 -0700, the infamous Winston

Ivan, some vehicles need a valid oxy sensor to work. Check that, too.

Ooh, two points, Winnie!
-- Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. --Daniel Webster
Add pictures here
✖
Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)
I can always take myself down a notch.
Still, I think it's remarkable that bringing the camshaft 'offline' should produce no OBD codes at all. I've often thought of camshafts as being rather necessary....
--Winston
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 20:14:36 -0700, the infamous Winston

Oh, they are! It's just that the bargain basement chips in veHickles don't know what to do with mechanical breakages. With no cam/crank revs, there are no timing blips and no data, ah reckon.
-- Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. --Daniel Webster
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 20:37:57 -0700, Larry Jaques

SOME vehicles will report a cam sensor error if the crank sensor shows rotation and the cam sensor does not.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

But not the 96 Dodge Intrepid. That is one for the data bank!
--Winston
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 18:33:18 -0700, Larry Jaques

Don't know of a single car that will not start with a bad, or even NO Oxygen sensor.

Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 00:09:28 -0400, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca scrawled the following:

I never had one but I heard about a couple, eons ago.
-- Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. --Daniel Webster
Add pictures here
✖
Ivan Vegvary wrote: (Auto wrecker lets us return parts for up to 30

Can't help you, but as a lifelong parts guy, I find this rather amazing
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, it's pretty amazing, isn't it? Of course we have not taken any parts back yet. We'll see how it goes.
The parts guy signs each park in a distinctly colored ink. Of course we do pay $2 entrance fee to the yard, whether you find your part or not. BTW, until recently this used to be a "You Pull It" wrecking chain, which was a division of Schnitzer steel. Their main focus has always been 'crushing and shipping to China', parts has been simply a sideline.
Thanks, Ivan Vegvary
Add pictures here
✖
What about looking at a different manual? Are you simply following the manual's suggestions or do you have a schematic of the system? It would seem that such a firm failure could be traced fairly readily. Not that I haven't designed a few new cuss words over such a seemingly simple situation myself. In my background, we wrote the manuals when the vehicles were new (so we had to guess, sometimes), and seldom rewrote them when we knew what REALLY caused the failures. For instance: my 1978 Horizon stopped dead on the highway on the way to work. I had it towed to the dealer. They had found, 3 years after the car's intro to the market, that they had a bad solder joint on the ignition circuit's fusible link. It would look solid under the insulation, but wouldn't conduct juice. I'll bet that wasn't in the Chilton manual.
I've got a 1993 Voyager wagon. You have to get two or three service manuals to cover the whole car, and then there's no guarantee that what you've got is really for yours.
Pete Stanatiis -----------------------------------
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

You can get to all (most, anyway) of usenet through http://groups.google.com
Add pictures here
✖

And get filtered by quite a few of us.
Wes
Add pictures here
✖

First, I'm not familiar with this particular car...
But did you first look over the the simple stuff, like the timing belt and all that?
Erik
Add pictures here
✖
To Bill Putney and Erik YOU GUYS WIN THE PRIZE !! It is the timing belt. No camshaft movement. Thank you for the advice. Would not have thought to think about timing belt.
Thanks, Ivan Vegvary
Add pictures here
✖