OT: Cleaning Keyboards

Decided to try a method I read about sumwhr on the net. Had a particularly grungy PS2 board for the shop computer. Had a few iffy keys, too.Set it in the dishwasher, top shelf, and angled down so the water wouldn't pool inside. Ran it through the cycle with the usual load. Worked great! The keyboard looks like brand new, and functions perfectly. I prolly wouldn't try this with a wireless board, but for the basic ones, works good. YMMV. JR Dweller in the cellar

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

I use the compressed air method.

Ignoramus4834

No s$%^t!. i never would have guessed that would work. I've been tossing keyboards once a year. I'll try it. if it don't work I'm out a whopping $10.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Will compressed air take off the brown stuff?

Reply to
SteveB

Its something that works very well with about 90% of all keyboards and has for years.

Gunner who dishwashes his keyboards about once a year

Gunner Asch

SOP for boards that have "spill damage". Works pretty well and will work on wireless as long as you pull the batteries and let the board set a bit to allow any charged capacitors to discharge.

Reply to
Steve W.

The board and electronics will stand washing but some switches won't. Any soluble contamination that leaks in and isn't washed out can keep them from making contact reliably. It's hard to know what they will take without reading the data sheet. Dishwashing detergent can be highly alkaline and corrosive to some materials, too.

We generally use >90% isopropyl alcohol except with water-clean flux. Lacking it I've used water and hand soap and scrubbed off the flux residue solids with an old toothbrush.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Many years ago Tektronix oscilloscopes were routinely washed to clean them. After being rinsed well with distilled water and thoroughly dried they were ready for switch lubrication, tube reinstallation, and recalibration.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

I recommend skipping the dry cycle to keep the max temp down so nothing melts, and just stand it on end for a few days to air dry. Works a treat to get that CocaCola or sugary coffee out when someone's posting is just a bit too funny :-).

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Reply to
Carl Ijames