OT: Cleveeland cop dies on the line

Officer Derek Owens died of a gunshot wound Saturday. The shooting took place a few blocks from my shop and I just happen to be running errands in the
neighborhood and was a few hundred feet from the place of the gunfight. If I would have had a window open, I'd have heard the shots. I had to pull off the road three times to let cop cars speed by on 93rd street.
Derek was one of the cops that followed up on some of my break-ins, he seemed like a nice guy and was truly concerned about my problems. I remember he had a sense of humor.
My point being that a recent thread about how "religious zealots" were putting too many of these animals in prison. WTF??? This incident just confirms my conviction to get my ccw. It just so happens that the security company that I hire for the shop teaches the course every month and as a customer, I get a 20% discount. I've decided to carry my Springfield XD-9mm especially after installing an aftermarket trigger and a bit of polishing on the sear and striker and installing a 4-40 overtravel limit set screw on the trigger bar. The trigger is now SWEET! (Don, are you reading this?) I'll have to get a hold of Gunner for ammo recommendations as I think 9mm is a marginal defense round.

If you'll check the same thread of which you made reference, you'll see that I'm not sympathetic of criminals. Far as I'm concerned, it should be open season on the bastards.
Very sorry to hear of the tragedy with Officer Owens.
Harold

Cleveland is out of control! The joblessness, the failed schools and the gestalt mentality have turned the inner city into a no man's land. Our Democratic government spends money like water on convention centers and sports arenas. The unions would rather see businesses shut down than offer concessions. Companies have left in droves. I'll move at the earliest opportunity.

Trouble is, it's not much better elsewhere. We're out of the big city, which is getting to be survival of the meanest mentality. You got what I want and I'll just take it type of behavior.
We've sort of bunkered in buying two acres in a very rural area. We are not naive enough to think that we are insulated or far away from the crime of the city. We have crime here in a city of 1400, most of it associated with theft to buy drugs. Two murders a couple of months ago, and three in the last two years. My property is surrounded with barbed wire, forbidding ravines lined with lava rock, cacti, and various other obstacles. Private property signs all over the place.
And we still get people riding right through on ATVs like they're on public land.
Next week, the rest of the fences and the signs go up. No way in except for the main gate, and no way out except the same way. After that, the attitude changes. Carrying a gun on your own property is legal, and some of these idiots just need "private property" explained a little clearer. Those who come after dark, or who don't come up the normal approach paths will be treated as threats, which I consider them.
You want to come on my property, come in the front gate. Come to the front door and identify yourself and state your purpose. Chances are, if you're on the up and up, we'll have a nice conversation and a cold beverage. You want to sneak through the back, or drive past private property signs and act ignorant, let's rodeo, cowboy.
And if you come around between 9 PM and dawn and are sneaking around, you deserve whatever happens to you.
Steve
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 00:49:44 -0500, "Tom Gardner"

The little town I live in, would love to have your busines. And Ill bet you could get significant tax breaks from local government, and likely free or near free land and perhaps a facliity existant.
http://www.taftchamber.com /
It IS California..but its a Strongly conservative county, with a sherriff who is almost Shall Issue with CCWs. We dont pay a lot of attention to Sacramento, and as its a town in decline..there is a significant workforce available. And hungry for new business.
Gunner
Gunner Asch wrote:

Interesting former name:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taft,_California

Thought so... Site of teh movie, "THe Best of Times"
On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 08:34:31 -0600, cavelamb himself

My face may be seen in that movie, and several others. For about .5 milliseconds <G>
Gunner
On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 22:24:20 +1300, with neither quill nor qualm, Ron

-- An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done or left undone in the short run determines the long run. -- Sydney J. Harris
On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 07:33:28 -0800, Larry Jaques

Long as we have UPS and DHL, and the post office..hardly marooned. <G>
Gunner

Ayup. I make fun of it on my home page as well
http://home.lightspeed.net/~gunner
Gunner Asch wrote:

i was deleting photos from a computer the other day and found a picture of a Kern County Sheriff's cruiser. The legend said, "Well beat you up, and take your donuts, too!" Do you want a copy?
prove it.
On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:00:57 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Sure..send it along.
That photo was the result of having the Lerdo motor pool inmates having a good time.
Everyone enjoyed it, including the cops.
Gunner
On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:19:14 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
--snip--

Post a link once you have it online, please.
-- An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done or left undone in the short run determines the long run. -- Sydney J. Harris
Larry Jaques wrote:

Will do. Now, I just have to pry it out of a S-L-O-W Win 95 computer when I get back out to the shop. Give me a couple days.
prove it.
On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 17:24:56 -0800, Larry Jaques

http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/kern.asp
Gunner
On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 10:26:30 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,

Bloody hypocrite!
http://home.lightspeed.net/~gunner/madeinusa.gif
-- An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done or left undone in the short run determines the long run. -- Sydney J. Harris
On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 17:21:32 -0800, Larry Jaques

Hey,..,I bought em fair and square. I keep em off welfare and when they get sick, I take em for a ride out into the desert for some sun.
A couple weeks later, some Varithane and they make great lawn jockeys to sell at the swap meet. Assuming the coyotes dont get em while they are drying out. Shrug
Gunner
Like the honor flags at the bottom of the page!
What a scrounger!
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
Gunner Asch wrote:

Well said, Steve! Well said.
Bob Swinney