OT: Cleveeland cop dies on the line

Officer Derek Owens died of a gunshot wound Saturday. The shooting took place a few blocks from my shop and I just happen to be running errands in the neighborhood and was a few hundred feet from the place of the gunfight. If I would have had a window open, I'd have heard the shots. I had to pull off the road three times to let cop cars speed by on 93rd street.

Derek was one of the cops that followed up on some of my break-ins, he seemed like a nice guy and was truly concerned about my problems. I remember he had a sense of humor.

My point being that a recent thread about how "religious zealots" were putting too many of these animals in prison. WTF??? This incident just confirms my conviction to get my ccw. It just so happens that the security company that I hire for the shop teaches the course every month and as a customer, I get a 20% discount. I've decided to carry my Springfield XD-9mm especially after installing an aftermarket trigger and a bit of polishing on the sear and striker and installing a 4-40 overtravel limit set screw on the trigger bar. The trigger is now SWEET! (Don, are you reading this?) I'll have to get a hold of Gunner for ammo recommendations as I think 9mm is a marginal defense round.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

If you'll check the same thread of which you made reference, you'll see that I'm not sympathetic of criminals. Far as I'm concerned, it should be open season on the bastards.

Very sorry to hear of the tragedy with Officer Owens.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Cleveland is out of control! The joblessness, the failed schools and the gestalt mentality have turned the inner city into a no man's land. Our Democratic government spends money like water on convention centers and sports arenas. The unions would rather see businesses shut down than offer concessions. Companies have left in droves. I'll move at the earliest opportunity.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Trouble is, it's not much better elsewhere. We're out of the big city, which is getting to be survival of the meanest mentality. You got what I want and I'll just take it type of behavior.

We've sort of bunkered in buying two acres in a very rural area. We are not naive enough to think that we are insulated or far away from the crime of the city. We have crime here in a city of 1400, most of it associated with theft to buy drugs. Two murders a couple of months ago, and three in the last two years. My property is surrounded with barbed wire, forbidding ravines lined with lava rock, cacti, and various other obstacles. Private property signs all over the place.

And we still get people riding right through on ATVs like they're on public land.

Next week, the rest of the fences and the signs go up. No way in except for the main gate, and no way out except the same way. After that, the attitude changes. Carrying a gun on your own property is legal, and some of these idiots just need "private property" explained a little clearer. Those who come after dark, or who don't come up the normal approach paths will be treated as threats, which I consider them.

You want to come on my property, come in the front gate. Come to the front door and identify yourself and state your purpose. Chances are, if you're on the up and up, we'll have a nice conversation and a cold beverage. You want to sneak through the back, or drive past private property signs and act ignorant, let's rodeo, cowboy.

And if you come around between 9 PM and dawn and are sneaking around, you deserve whatever happens to you.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Cor-Bon 9mm 115 grain +P Jacketed Hollowpoint

Its hot. Really hot. And expensive. But it almost makes it a .357 magnum. Very well proven on the street. Not for older guns.

The Corbons tend to fragment a bit more than I like, but they have a pretty good street record.

It makes a LOT of noise and has significant recoil. If you are noise or recoil shy..go with the Gold Dot loadings or the Golden Sabers.

(Better a couple good hits than a few powerful misses due to flinch.)

Remington 115gr Golden Sabers

Anything loaded with the 115gr Speer Gold Dot.

Btw...Gold Dots are my personal favorite in most handguns/calibers

Dont bother with any of the 147gr bullets in ANY 9mm, even the Sig

357.

The Corbon Pow'Rball ammo is supposed to be really good, but Ive not tested terminal ballistics on this particular bullet in any caliber.

I shoot a lot of 125gr .357 Remingtons.. because I scored a 20mm can filled to the top some years ago. Im about 1/3 of the way down...chuckle

Im usually carrying a .45 of some sort, or a .357 wheel gun. Occasionally, a Mod 57 in .41 mag. Depends on my mood and AO.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

The little town I live in, would love to have your busines. And Ill bet you could get significant tax breaks from local government, and likely free or near free land and perhaps a facliity existant.

It IS California..but its a Strongly conservative county, with a sherriff who is almost Shall Issue with CCWs. We dont pay a lot of attention to Sacramento, and as its a town in decline..there is a significant workforce available. And hungry for new business.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Interesting former name:

Ron

There's an empty facility right beside a rail line in my little town. The city would fall all over itself with incentives to get you here. There's a GREAT workforce, wonderful schools, good (well OK) government, great qualtiy of life, etc. in this area. Same story in 1000's of small towns in rural USA. It is time for you to move. Choose the area you'd like and start shopping.

Why don't you come on out to MN? Don Foreman and I would be glad to show you around. Stop at a few local cities to see what offers are available.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Thought so... Site of teh movie, "THe Best of Times"

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Well said, Steve! Well said.

The little town I live in, would love to have your busines. And Ill bet you could get significant tax breaks from local government, and likely free or near free land and perhaps a facliity existant.

It IS California..but its a Strongly conservative county, with a sherriff who is almost Shall Issue with CCWs. We dont pay a lot of attention to Sacramento, and as its a town in decline..there is a significant workforce available. And hungry for new business.

Gunner

Robert Swinney

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 22:24:20 +1300, with neither quill nor qualm, Ron quickly quoth:

Having visited there, I'm surprised it wasn't named "Marooned".

-- An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done or left undone in the short run determines the long run. -- Sydney J. Harris

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Try this load , Gunner:

147gr JHP Remington, 4.5gr Herco, CCI primer loaded to COL=1.152 Close to subsonic in a HP35 , good indoor defense round, tends to transfer energy without going too far...

cheers T.Alan

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

"Karl Townsend" wrote

I hear a lot of companies are deciding to give up the good life in Kalifornia. A short ad in one of their papers might be productive. I have heard of many communities and states GIVING companies land, tax breaks, and all manner of gifts to entice them. And they're going for it.

AAAAAhnold recently went to Las Vegas with a semi truck, touting the good business climate of Kalifornia. He invited any business who wanted to come to return to Kalifornia with him, free trucking.

He had no takers.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yes. I'd like to know more about the source of the aftermarket trigger and about the overtravel limit setscrew, please. Note that if "sweet" means "light", that is not a good tactical trigger for carry. You want very crisp without a lot of travel, but somewhat heavy.

As to ammo: wait until after your training to choose ammo. Your first criteria must be that the gun is utterly, flawlessly reliable with it. XD's are not known to be fussy feeders, but you need to be sure. I have not found any ammo that my XD .40 doesn't work flawlessly with -- but if I had another one of the same model I'd definitely check it.

Think about your choice of caliber for a moment. The advantage to

9mmp is that it has light recoil, double-stackers like the XD hold lots of 'em -- and ammo is cheap. Forget about the mythical "one-shot stop" with magic ammo in a 9mmp. You aren't limited to one shot. If you get several hits in COM, the probability of at least one of them having the desired effect is at least as good as one hit from a heavier round that you may not shoot as well. Really critical spots within COM are not arranged radially from center in importance. COM is not a bullseye with numbered rings. They're somewhat randomly distributed. A heavy round works better because it damages a larger region -- but a lighter round in a right spot is even more effective. Consider: the 12 gage shotgun with #00 buck is absolutely unquestioned re stopping power. It merely delivers eighteen 97-grain balls at 1100 fps. Each of these balls is both lighter and slower than a 9mmp 124-grain HydraShok JHP, and they don't expand. However, probability of one or more of them hitting a critical spot is essentially 1.

You must be able to shoot well with the ammo you choose, which means be in complete control of muzzle flip. You are in control when you can deliver 4 or 5 rounds into COM at 21 feet in under a second.

A "hot" round that misses has negative efficacy because it still invites return fire. Recoil should be a non-issue with a full-size XD in 9mmp, but you need to be sure that's true for you with your piece and your ammo.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Ayup. I make fun of it on my home page as well

Gunner Asch

My face may be seen in that movie, and several others. For about .5 milliseconds

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Long as we have UPS and DHL, and the post office..hardly marooned.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

i was deleting photos from a computer the other day and found a picture of a Kern County Sheriff's cruiser. The legend said, "Well beat you up, and take your donuts, too!" Do you want a copy?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sorry to hear that, Tom. It's alwways bad to hear that someone you know has been killed, and even worse when it's so close to home.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

-tr +f ;)

Reply to