OT Computer help OT

I have a problem with this news group. computer : Old (6 yrs) AMD CPU Running Windows 98SE News reader: Netscape 4.7 Modem 33K dialup ISP : Earthlink, News server: news.west.earthlink.net

I have 6 news groups suscribed. alt.binaries.pictures.furniture alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking rec.crafts.metalworking rec.woodworking sci.archaeology.moderated rec.aviation.soaring

Netscape keeps a list of the headers for each news group and loads them when a news group is selected, then goes to the server to download new headers. It then sorts the new headers into the proper threads showing new ones as darker font. Has been working for years, recently it purges the list of headers for rcm only. I can't see any way one news group can be different from the rest. rec.woodworking has nearly twice the number of headers so it cant be size related. for example: rbpf 12 rbpw 282 rcm 28670 rw 48900 sam 68 ras 5700

Any ideas as what can cause only one group to have its headers purged or some place that may know? Thanks for any ideas. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Are you tight for disk space by any chance?

Try another newsreader and see if it does the same. e.g.

If it does then the problem is with your server. Try a public server.

Reply to
John Ings

Reply to
Ron Moore

Netscape has overall newsgroup properties and individual group properties. When you are at your list of subscribed groups, right click on one and select properties. Compare the settings of the various groups.

Now, that said - my computer did similar things last year with various groups. Some updated just fine, others never downloaded new headers, etc. It was a mess. I even re-installed Netscape and it didn't correct it (I guess it left the group article intact when I uninstalled Netscape).

I strongly suspect a spyware program or virus had corrupted something, since the little 'arrow boxes' that minimize the various toolbars periodically changed color, and had little patterns in them like eyes, flags, etc, from time to time.

I ended up with a new computer anyway and never solved the issue, the new machine works fine on all the newsgroups and I now run Sygate personal firewall, Ad-Aware and Spy-Bot, all free.

DT

Reply to
DT

You will find a bumch of files that contain the info on the newsgroups and email folders. i occasionally (about every 6 months) delete the newsgroup files from the computer as they just keep on growing larger and larger as the old headers never get deleted. Sometimes the files get so large that they get corrupted just because they have more than a certain number of entries. Also go through your DELETED folder and remove all of the stuff that is old and you will suddenly end up with a whole lot more space on your disk. Right now, my DELETED file is about 33MB and it is about time to clean it out.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

By the way..... Agent 2.0 is current!

Reply to
Gene Kearns

Is it worth the upgrade price?

Reply to
John Ings

Lewis Hartswick wrote

I think this is the specific group for help.

netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news

I could be wrong (you can ask).

It looks large enough to me. You could repost the same message (edited for clarity, and maybe check the formatting by pasting it to WordPad with word wrap off).

FWIW. I am pretty sure your newsreader was part of "Navigator" or "Communicator" (Communicator might be the email/newsgroup part of Navigator) which once belonged to the company Netscape. I disagree with the advice to install another newsreader, that's just painful, unless you want to change newsreaders.

Good luck.

Out.

Reply to
John Doe