OT:Data recovery

Well, that would certainly ruin your day, probably the whole month, too.

The details are hazy now, but a couple of years ago I had a HD start to go south on me and and installed a new primary HD, with the old original installed as a secondary so that whatever data was still readable could be recovered. I would have had to FDISK the new drive and don't recall any problems with the secondary getting reformatted at the same time. I may have had the secondary physically unplugged at the time, though. I get pretty paranoid about that sort of stuff.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

On 10 Apr 2005 06:47:36 -0700, "Jim" wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

OK. Thanks. But it sounds risky enough that I should still grab what data I can (this was not my PC. I just fix up the results. In this case I take full blame, as I was doing the work that caused the trouble. I assumed backup, instead of doing a redundant one :-< )

I will check out the process, with care.

****************************************************************************************** WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to
Old Nick

I'm not sure what you mean. If you are thinking of FAT32 drivers, both IBM and eCS have them. In addition there is some FAT32 stuff on Hobbes.

Is there some other driver you are looking for?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I have a friend at one university and a daughter at another. Both have heard nothing but bad about XP. Another source that appears to be unbiased: <

" NT has grown by accretion, and lacks a unifying metaphor corresponding to Unix's ?everything is a file? or the MacOS desktop.[33] Because core technologies are not anchored in a small set of persistent central metaphors, they become obsolete every few years. Each of the technology generations ? DOS (1981), Windows 3.1 (1992), Windows 95 (1995), Windows NT 4 (1996), Windows 2000 (2000), Windows XP (2002), and Windows Server

2003 (2003) ? has required that developers relearn fundamental things in a different way, with the old way declared obsolete and no longer well supported.

There are other consequences as well: ... "

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Is that system using FAT32 or NTFS?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

On 9 Apr 2005 15:14:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

OK. Thanks

Easy to say "if you don't want it don't back it up". But until recently backups were always behind the sheer size of HDs, on a cost basis IMO. They are now very affordable, and the DVDs themselves are now very cheap.

Also, it has always been my fear that unless I keep buying new gear to store backups, one day ythe old gear will break down...........and you won't be able to find anyone to read your backups.

I am certainly not in your league as far as loss goes.

****************************************************************************************** WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to
Old Nick

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:33:06 GMT, Ted Edwards wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

NTFS on the munged drive.

I am running FAT32 (Win 98) on the working drive. The NTFS drive usually resides in another PC, in which it was the only drive. I am using my Win 98 PC to try to recover the system, or at least the data.

****************************************************************************************** WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to
Old Nick

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 22:30:26 GMT, Ron DeBlock wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

I work on a "no try no buy" basis. No demo available.

I know they can say, as you have, that thjis stuff is good. But After working with Win and reading enough Net messages, I feel that it may well not work for _me_

****************************************************************************************** WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to
Old Nick

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 13:46:11 +1200, Roger_Nickel wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

Thanks for the suggestion. I had found it just on Saturday.

I am currently talking to them. they have respnded to a problem it gave me ( :-< ) in that it showed gibberish for file names and reported the drive as FAT when it's NTFS. I am awaiting further replies, becauser their first suggestion did not help.

****************************************************************************************** WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to
Old Nick

In other words, you had a second drive in place with data on it, and that was untouched?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
[ ... ]

Just out of curiosity -- do you truly mean an uptime of 2 years? No reboots because you're installing some software which insists on a reboot to take effect? No reboots because of power outages? No reboots because you had it powered down to install new hardware? No reboots for

*any* reason? I've noticed that Windows likes to insist on a reboot whenever any software is installed -- such as for the recent installation of the income tax software. :-)

My uptimes (for the machines which I haven't recently upgraded to a newer OS or made hardware changes to) is (in order of uptime):

====================================================================== popocat-2 up 75+22:08, 0 users, load 0.14, 0.11, 0.08 shindig up 86+21:15, 0 users, load 0.04, 0.03, 0.03 stromboli up 89+22:54, 0 users, load 0.02, 0.03, 0.03 popocat up 105+07:50, 0 users, load 0.00, 0.00, 0.00 cadeau up 130+12:41, 1 user, load 0.79, 1.12, 1.02 sponge up 132+00:04, 0 users, load 0.06, 0.07, 0.07 curlmakr up 145+09:54, 0 users, load 0.14, 0.11, 0.08 twenty20 up 355+01:15, 0 users, load 0.00, 0.01, 0.02 ceilidh up 455+07:50, 0 users, load 0.14, 0.14, 0.13 ======================================================================

These are *true* uptimes -- no reboots for *any* reasons.

The final end of that was because of a power outage long enough to require shutting down the UPS (battery charge limitations).

Cadeau has achieved the uptime of 130+ days without an UPS, as everything is stored on the servers, not on that machine, so it can be rebuilt with no problems if corrupted by a power glitch.

None of these are the faster machines (the Ultras), which have all recently been upgraded to Solaris 10 (now a free download).

And of course the token Windows machine (Win 2000 Pro) spends most of its time off -- except during the income tax season.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Many times. In fact..some of the computers had 3 or more drives, and one, has 7.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Ayup. That was typed on my wifes machine while I was doing some housekeeping on this one. Hers has been on, none stop for 2 yrs. Unless she turned it off for some reason.

Ayup. She doesnt load any software on her machine. The reboots are so that the registry entries are reloaded after the progs are installed.

Im struggling with my 2000 Pro server at the moment. I popped a circuit breaker out in the shop, and this one shares it, which I didnt realize..so was flipping it off and on repeatedly.

I think the raid is rebuilding at the moment.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Flipping a partition from inactive to active is non destructive. Not risky at all. Anyone who has a server with mirrored drives has to do this if the primary goes out & they want to boot off the other. I've done it dozens of times & never had a problem. XP does it automatically, without asking you. I'd give it a shot without worrying. There is room for operator error, I guess, but if that's all you do - just change the first partition to active - you shouldnt' have a problem.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Yes, that's right.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith

snip--

you may have some luck booting a copy of knoppix (or other linux) off a cd and using the NTFS (readonly) support feature on the damaged drive

all the best

Reply to
sidd

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 03:40:38 GMT, Ted Edwards wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

He didn't. I did . But I will have to have a think about what you said, over a fe....oh...

****************************************************************************************** WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to
Old Nick

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 01:37:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@iinet.net.au (Old Nick) wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

OK. Thanks for all the replies, and I am still reading the increasing thread with interest.

I ended up caving in and buying the one I first complained about regarding support.

I know that makes me a pest, because I asked then went away and did what I said made me ask in the first place.

Question. Would I be the first one here to do that?

Basically I did try all the alternatives. This one suited me. I did get a half-decent reply to a support question at last.

It is very easy to use, shows the data in a nice "user" format (as filenames, not clusters etc), and found data where others did not, at least not in a way I could discover easily. It is reasonably-priced.

There may be more powerful programmes out there (DFSEE???) but I felt that a needed results, not a learning curve, just right now :-I have munged an XP hard drive, by accidentally using it as the slave

****************************************************************************************** WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to
Old Nick

I recovered most of my data from a failed hard drive using DFSee, which you can download at

If you knew what you were doing, you could use the software in its trial version and recover your data for free - but for the registration, you get the patient personalized explanation of the solo software author who gives you step by step advice on how to do the job right. It was worth the $50 it cost to register. Registraton on that version of software will be good forever. The author is constantly adding new features at the suggestion of those on the users group. You can see what direction they're going currently at the users group messages in Yahoo groups.

You're likely to get virtually everything back from that drive if you haven't done much to it with other software.

RWL

******* Recreate gaps in email address to reply *******
Reply to
RWL

A part of my life was spent teaching at college level. In the first class of programming courses, I always explained to my students how to do a backup. This was when "mass storage device" meant a 1.44MB floppy. I also told them that all assignments were to be handed in on a floppy. Late assignments would be discounted 20%/day and _a_ solution posted on the 5th day. A disk "going bad", "getting lost", "getting pissed on by the cat" or "chewed by the dog" would be considered as indication that lesson one was not learned and not be accepted as an excuse.

At one time I backed up on floppies. By using PKZIP and incrementals this was practical even when I got a "huge" 40MB hard drive.

The next machine had 4GB and I bought a Nomai with 750M removable cartridges. Fortunately I got a CD writer before that died. Along the way, I always copied my archives to the next medium.

Now my new machine has a 40GB drive and a DVD burner. DFSee will provide a set of partition tables and images. These will be combined with ZIPs of the partitions. I am writing an incremental backup supervisor in APL2 which will use ZIP to keep the backups up to date between majors every few months.

Much (most?) of my software I wrote in APL over the years. It would be a major disaster for me to loose that.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards