OT:Data recovery

I have munged an XP hard drive, by accidentally using it as the slave rather than the master while trying to mirror it :-<

So I am looking for data recovery software.

The best one under US$100 so far is Restore2000. IT can see the files and the demo can recover any files less than 64K. Nuty the attitude of the vendors to a couple of questions I have asked has been apalling, on the occasions when they have actually replied. I cannot get any assirances from them about security of purchase with Creedit Card either. They have simply not replied, over more than a week, to three tries at asking.

It's a pity, because it looks like good software. I just don;t trust the bastards, and their behaviour does not make me want to give them my money.

Are there any other reasonably-priced ones out there, with half decent people running the show?

Any help appreciated.

****************************************************************************************** WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to
Old Nick

Rob

Yes, demand is high for their skills, so they act like they're concrete guys or something.

Just imagine how they're react if they already had your money, and you had a problem with their work? I'd say avoid those ones.

I'd trust my instincts on this one if I were you. Was you. Whatever.

Weeeellll.... I've used datarec.com (as in, ship drive to them, get data back from them) but they're expensive. I guess it depends on how important your data is (was)?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I have and have used DFSee

Netherlands but judging from the speed of response when I have a question or problem, I thought he lived next door. Price is good too and everyone who has used has been impressed.

You down load from that site, try it out and register with Mensys. Everything can be handled over the 'net including delivery of the ISO file to burn the CD.

This is the software that pulled my fat out of the fire when I was having problems setting up this machine. (ThinkPad T23 with boot manager, W2000 and eCS.)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

The other company I was thinking of is

Dave Hinz

XP can be rather pernicious.

XP ignores your CMOS setting that a second disk on your computer is set off-line. It appears to believe that it owns every drive attached to the computer.

As a result, when I installed XP, it formatted every drive connected to the machine costing me years of data files. I lost all the files on my primary drive, plus all of the files on my backup hard disk. Six months later I'm still recovering data but unfortunately some of it has been lost forever.

I wonder what "genius" at Microsoft thought it was a good idea to ignore the CMOS settings on the computer? I'd sure like to CMOS this guy in the place where the sun don't shine, and see how he likes it when a blank hard drive is shoved up his rectum!

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

Nasty! And perhaps grounds for a lawsuit. Was there a warning about this behavior anywhere in the printed documentation?

I'll bet that it was done to "get rid of" those pesky alternate boot linux or BSD systems on the other drives. :-)

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

On 8 Apr 2005 20:41:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

As the OP, I have to ask "How?"

****************************************************************************************** WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to
Old Nick

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 21:01:58 GMT, Ted Edwards wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

OK. Thanks I will look that up.

****************************************************************************************** WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to
Old Nick

On 8 Apr 2005 21:13:12 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

At $90 for 5 files a time on up to 5 drives before renewal.

Or $1200-1300.....

I think I'll pass.

****************************************************************************************** WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to
Old Nick

I use OnTrack's Easy Recovery Professional.

Not cheap... but works great. $499 for individual users.

-Tom

**************************************************************************** **************
Reply to
TT

Reply to
jammer

I haven't been following this thread and may have missed something, but it seems unlikely that a WinXP install would blindly format every hard disk on the system without some mistake on the installer's part. Was there something about the situation that prevented a backup before doing the XP install?

Reply to
Mike Henry

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 01:06:04 -0700, "TT" wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

$500 (Probably $800 to me) is a lot to pay for not taking care of myn data. This is the trouble.

Actually, I cannot find a $499 user option even.

****************************************************************************************** WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to
Old Nick

It's just the worst of M$ products. None are good.

No backups? I zip up my data every week to month depending on activity level and write the zip's to CD. Now switching to DVD with the new bigger machine.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 11:13:12 -0400, jammer wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

running it now.........

****************************************************************************************** WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to
Old Nick

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Depends on what you did to the drive (I didn't bother reading all through this thread) but often all that happens is it flips the MBR & it thinks it's not a bootable partition. In that case, just boot with the CD in recovery mode & start FDisk. Change the partition to active & your problem is solved for free & 5 minutes worth of time. I've seen it happen quite a few times on XP. Try that first for sure.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

WinXP has been working fine for me on a couple of systems. for the past couple of years or more.

Linux is no good for me because at least some of the software I depend on won't run on it.

I tried *really* hard to use OS/2 years ago but it suffered the same problem, especially wrt to utilities. After a while it occurred to me that I was trying to fix a problem that didn't exist, at least not for me.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

I have two computers at home on XP with zero problems, in fact I love it.! It is the best OS from MS I have used except Win 3.1! ;-) We have five computers at work running XP with no problems either. We did have two running 2000 but with nothing but problems, loaded XP and all is great. Greg

Reply to
Greg O