OT:Data recovery

If she turned it off for some reason and turned it back on again, that's a re-boot.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Do get DFSee and register it. I don't recall whether you have high speed or dialup but if you don't have high speed you can download the bootable floppy image and use that. He also has a parallel port to parallel port thingy a la laplink that you can use to move your data off on to whatever then go to work on the damaged drive with DFSee. Jan is most helpful to registered users.

Good luck!!

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Yet another reason for recommending DFSee. Your download is a 30 day fully functional trial version which you activate for permanent by registering. Once registered, you can also get an ISO from which you can burn a bootable CD which also carries DOS, Windows, OS/2 and Linux versions. All in all, I wouldn't be without it.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:51:32 GMT, Ted Edwards wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

I have dld the demo.

I may get back to it, but it was a little "hackerish" for me, in my present mood and situation. It speaks of things I do not understand. The guy and the forum may be helpful, but I have enough on my plate and just want results. I do not even really understand what the programme tries to do. That's not because I am stupid (??) but because I looked at it and went "wup!", for the time being.

Remember, you try not to use Windows, because it's "no good". I use it because it's easiest to go with the flow!

****************************************************************************************** WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to
Old Nick

No shit?

I asked her and she said she has never turned it off.

Gunner

Gunner

is a better link and it works.

Reply to
Unknown

XP does not natively format any drive without user input, and you have to confirm twice, and press a different key (F8) rather than Enter in order to make it do this. With a standard XP install disc it is difficult even for an inexperienced user to 'accidentally' format a drive.

Question: Were you using a copy of XP that a friend made for you? If it was a 'slipstreamed' or 'auto-install' version of XP, it may very well do this without any user action, because the install routine has been changed in order to be able to install on multiple machines without user intervention. These discs will not work properly on a home machine that is not set up exactly like the machine it was designed for.

Disabling a hard drive in the system BIOS will not do anything. Almost all motherboards will refuse to boot if you set the hard drive to 'not present' and fail to unplug the IDE cable. The rest of them will auto-detect it and set it back up during boot. As for getting a 'quick remove' hard drive, this is great if you're running a giant RAID array on a highly used machine and need to be able to quickly replace broken hard drives. It is usually a bit expensive compared to simply opening the case and pulling the IDE cable off a drive for a home user.

Reply to
Fenrir Enterprises

Hmm. If you use data recovery software, first make sure you have a logical problem, not a physical problem. If it's a physical problem, it's best to leave things to the pros, because you could damage the drive further otherwise. Call me at ESS, at 1-800-237-4200 ext. 241 and we can set up an evaluation to that extent.

If you're not interested in using professionals, most of the software referenced here is pretty decent. Just make sure you read the tutorials and readme files REAL carefully.

Reply to
john