OT: download a video

Got a new govmint inspector stop by this week... And another requirement to comply. We have to train all new employees in Worker Protection Standard before they can start.

Not a big deal ,we found this video they can watch:

My question, internet is sometimes flakey out here. is there a way to download this to a hard drive? Its a piece of cake with you tube videos, don't know how for this one.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Right-click and"save as" They are *.wmv videos, intended to be viewed with Windows Media Player, but VLC will play them just fine.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

HOO BOY, this didn't work at all for me. It converted my firefox to AOL hell and doesn't work. Now i got a mess i don't know how to undo.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

My right click doesn't bring this up. do i need to install something else.

I right click to save pictures all the time.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

How you escape so long???? Been since early '90s when reg's went into effect.

K-State extension has them on CD at the local extension offices here just for the picking up--if no joy on the download problems might check wherever you are for similar.

Reply to
dpb

They are not standard .wmv, they are playlist links. Save as won't work.

Reply to
Steve W.

Download helper works great if you grab the add-on directly through the FF add-ons. The site version is different and includes a bunch of crap now.

All of it can be removed but it's a PIA.

Check your mail for a YT link for at least 3 of those vids.

Reply to
Steve W.
[My question, internet is sometimes flakey out here. is there a way to download this to a hard drive? Its a piece of cake with you tube videos, don't know how for this one.]

How do you do this? I'd like to save a few your tube videos to my pc but never bothered to investigate how to do it. Thanks.

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Reply to
Carl Ijames

FDM will download them by right click and selecting "download with Free Download Manager". ' You can get it here.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Where did you go, Karl???

Always I tell you, only load Firefox add-ons from Mozilla itself!

I use Download Helper a lot. Works like a charm.

Back out whatever it was you loaded.

Might have to uninstall FF and reinstall - AFTER you run a deep scan for trojans, worms, and other bad-ware that probably came along for the ride.

Then get the real-deal from:

Richard

You should have to; I'm using Firefox and I just right click the little box on the right-hand side (unde the "watch" column) and select "Save Link As". The first one comes up as "WPS_Worker_English.wmv".

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

^^^ shouldn't have to

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I tried that and got a 193 byte WMV file which played when double clicked on the file but is obviously a link to the actual video rather than a video file itself.

Reply to
David Billington

Aye, looks like you're right; I can save the .wmv file, but it's just a stub pointing to an .asf (streaming) file.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Use Download Helper on Firefox and then convert the video to a useable format. I use WinFXVideo Converter.

You might have to update your codecs and play with the options on your converter, but it usually works. I have saved a number of videos from YouTube this way for more reliable local playback.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

System Restore is usually the easiest way.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Easy? Try Revo Uninstaller. There is a free version, for personal use. You use it to run the uninstall for the program, then it will remove any trace from the Registry. Always run it at the highest level, which is the bottom of the menu of how much to remove.

Michael A. Terrell

Works GREAT and thanks for giving me the heads up last year about it.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

It's saved me weeks worth of work to salvage the files on screwed up computers.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell