OT Dry Time IC Boards?

Yesterday I finally got around to cleaning my audio processor that I made the mistake of putting WD-40 on when the wind blew rain into the shop. It collected all kinds of dust and I disconnected it, BTW no case just open boards. I scrubbed it with a tooth brush in a pan of Isopropyl and set it out in the sun yesterday afternoon. It got a couple of hours in the sun and it's over 100 degrees and maybe 7% humidity. Will it be safe to hook it back up later on today after 8 hours of baking in the sun or should I wait for another full day?

I would guess that its 120 degrees on the surface of the board now , and getting anxious to fix the crippled stereo in the shop.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

I've seen a professional disaster recovery crew at work on a bunch of computer gear with very heavy smoke damage. They had standard convection ovens set at 130DegF with a blast of air. Circuit boards stayed in there for a couple minutes.

Boards were cleaned in straight distilled water in a spray booth.

Reply to
Al Dykes

A few years ago, a neighbors car was involved in a little flood... just deep enough to submerge it's under the drivers seat mounted emission/fuel injection computer in thin mud.

She didn't have the money for a new car, or computer.

With nothing to lose, I removed it, and blew out the wiring harness connectors. I then took the case apart, gently flushed the spooge out with the garden hose, and let it dry for 3 days inside.

Put it back together, and it runs fine to this day.

YMMV...

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Since the demise of Freon, virtually all electronics is either cleaned with water or not cleaned at all. The only issue is water getting into unsealed switches and connectors. You did the right thing.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Thanks all , it lives again. Now how to figure out why the turn table isn't in stereo. I might have changed something awhile back when I shut the processor down, IIRC that alone shuts off one channel. The thing is really complex and backwards from what it should look like so I was afraid to change the wires. I've been putting up with one side of stereo for a long time. Could be that I don't have something right or forgot how to set the amp between components.

Sounds great with four speakers and the cool processor a friend made for TV and radio stations again. Works really good on cleaning up records and tape. Looks like a day and a half is ok.

If I had the $ back 10 years ago I would have hunted down the guy that had the last 10 , probably could have got them for $150. Oh well.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Next time you get in the area, Ill give you a Roberts 772 reel to reel tape recorder....hummm Ill have to check to make sure I didnt give it to someone else from the newsgroup. Or tha Akai reel to reel.

Gunner

Gunner

Got one and about 4 new tapes. Have to get the whole stereo system up and going perfectly first. The tape I got from the swap meet makes an EEEEEEE sound , haven't tried the new yet.

Almost got the package done, looks like I'm going to miss this weekend. Maybe next Sat. after 10... Got a favorite carrier?

I keep being interrupted , everyone will be gone soon. 4 days alone ! Except I have to do a pool from hell. Is it just me or is it really rude to call back cause I called the customer once for a gate code or inform them that tile isn't in town? They get it on caller ID and then call me back everyday on their ID blocked phones. The last one called me at 9:30 pm to ask me if I could do the tile diagonally on this very complex pool. Talked her out of it, it would have looked like crap anyhow.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

If you are trying to play old reel-to-reel tapes that have been sitting for decades, you may have to bake them first. Or the oxide sticks and sheds, or peels off on the heads, and they're now trash. (And you have to clean out the deck, too.)

AFAIK you just put the tapes in an electric oven (NOT gas) at around

200F for a few days and let them dry out, but you might want to research it first. Especially if the tapes are irreplaceable, like recording session masters.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Baking works well but 200F is too hot and could damage the tape. Have a look at these links...

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher

That's precisely why I said "you might want to research it first". Thanks for finding the links.

I knew there was a problem he might encounter and should be aware of, and you needed to put the tape in a 'warm and dry' oven to cure it, but I wasn't sure exactly what value of 'warm' was needed.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Fx??SMoÛ0 ½çW¼Ssq7]·5-?¢¶[Ö?A±K³-e]Ïÿ~??H?î?¤Ç÷ÈGòÖbíl?? kÕc?e§ÈN?¯ËÓ3|Xß%¸ömNø?â?|Ù(;¹0?G5?oê/÷w7·?7ãó)?6¶J}Pµ)?J>GçÓòbn.'C ¼ÝZ|mErqö,y¼X.Þ.O^c?½?©®©?ÿkòCøct?nÆçê*wM®§?øPí¾*çZU??:Q??å?Ã{?vÚ1?-»¶.P¨F?Ör?R?:$U¨« 8â!ºÒ4=ÄÞ5ón9?w]?~wv:8?JMóªè?§¹©ÿ???-?¦S®­«]Ù??+²JíÇÿÄùNùü

6öé%Á;­x°ó??@uN÷X!(SàèGëø¼w-SjF§¬èàÅBås ÃØxî¹)¼b1¶Î ı¥±E£ñ/§³Be©?PO¢ $5'~5è1 ²ÒyËä?)z? AuÊïuÞm?+°D1û]ËOÓcEa*?,|??{ y»Og8fq³SFè§ÊyðM¦K?%¸íH9*?ÿP3f³¸3ñ
Reply to
Sunworshipper