OT: eBay categories

I have a new set of Snap-On sockets I'm going to put on eBay. They are pretty pricey, so I want to put them where they will be found. The only categories I've found are "automotive>parts and accessories" and "home and garden>hand tools. Under business and industrial, I don't find anything for hand tools. I feel like I'm overlooking something.

Suggestions?

Reply to
Andy Asberry

I'd list it under the above categories, because if you put it under "business..." they charge several times more for the same auction.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Wright

FWIW I never search FleaBay by category I always search ALL categories and then go in title and text.

Use the old trick of making a title like

Snap-On NOT MAC, MatCo, Sears Craftsman socket set with all sockets and ratchet

Note this has several other manufattures names plus the word socket spelled

2 different ways and the word ratchet... Do the same thing in your description, use as many spellings and manufactures names and you can so searchs will find you.

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

Sure. Search for similar items, and see what category they're in.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Carried to an extreme, this approach will annoy buyers like me. If I'm looking for Mac and use that in a search string, that's all I want to see and a bunch of listings for Snap-on in my returned hits will not amuse me. If there's enough of them to really tick me off, I may even check out one of the listings and make a mental note not to buy anything from that seller or even make a keyword spam complaint to ebay.

But maybe other buyers like this approach - anyone?

Reply to
Mike Henry

Have you tried your local Snap-On guy? Depending on the dealer, it might be worth your time to sell the sockets to him.

YMMV.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

There is a sub-category for wrenches/socket/SnapOn I ran across but I am not sure what the higher categories are. Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

I would contact Ebay and ask why they dont have a tool and equipment section,considering this would save time in looking up a particular tool or set of tools .

Reply to
badaztek

I'm seeing, in my minds eye, two ebay newbies who each used "Craftsman" as a search term and stumbled on that "Snapon" auction listing.

Each one decides he wants it, and submits a bid. Each, in his turn, sees the other outbid him, and each is completely unaware what he wants to pay, but is dead sure he'll pay one dollar more than the other guy.

A frenzy ensues.

The perfect (seller's) dream scenario. I think a lot of sellers are marketing exclusively to THEM.

er (remembering many items slipping away from his grasp...)

Reply to
Enoch Root

I detest it. If you are selling something..put it in the subject and simply say your piece.

Nothing I hate worse than searching on "hardinge" and having to wade through a gazillion bits of tripe.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

You can all be as pissed off as you like, And vow to never buy from some one who does this, and believe all the crap FleaBay says about NOT doing it... And those of us who do will STILL continue to sell stuff with a larger audience, which eaisly makes up for you.

It's called a free market economy that's based on a small number of sellers and a large number of buyers, it works every time.

You all probably don't like 'sniping' or the autobid snipe sites out there... I have news for you, get used to it, it ain't going away...

And for the original poster, here's another piece of FleaBay advice, time your auction so it ends Sunday about 5PM West coast time.. That will still be afternoon East coast time and gives you most of the weekend to attract buyers... The east coast people will be back from church and the west coast people won't have gone to dinner yet.

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

If I was looking for sockets, and saw that header, I'd specifically _not_ go to the auction and bid on that item. Keyword spamming is a huge annoyance.

List it with keywords that really apply, sure. Adding others to make people hit on your item, when they're looking for something else, is rude at best.

...making it necessary for people to ignore your auctions over and over, until they figure out how to block your seller ID from search results...

Putting keywords in an auction when those keywords don't apply to the item, tells me all I need to know about a seller. I'll buy from someone else.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Plonk. Again.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

When you create a listing, you can have eBay tell you what categories the words in your headline are used in most often.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I agree. eBay's advice not to use words like "not ..." or "like " in titles benefits ebay only. There are instances when it is necessary. The main instance is when I am selling a part that is compatible with a famous brand part but is made by some other company.

So I would say "ABC part for ... like XYZ". An example of this would be a generator head made by another company for generators made by Onan that is identical to the one made by Onan. A real life example.

Ignoramus14714

I just gotta laugh...

All this noise from people about how ' un-ethical ' it is to maximize your exposure on FleaBay, where people come by choice to buy things...

And then have no problems at all with the idea of scanning the obits in a newspaper and then calling the family a week later to see of they can't take advantage of them in their time of grief and make off with tools at 'a good price'... ...

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

Um, no. The point you're going out of your way to miss, is that when you keyword spam, you're going to annoy your buyers.

Who here said anything about that being a good idea?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The point you miss is... its works.... and is going to keep on happening no matter how annoyed it makes YOU. And in the long run you are the one probably missing out on some things you might use. I could care less, people WILL buy what I put up on FleaBay...

Go read the Estate Sales Thread, posted to by several of the people here...

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

"f*ck you, I'll do what I want", in other words. Lovely. What's your eBay ID?

I don't care. I won't every buy anything from a spammer or a telemarketer, either. People that noise up search results with bullshit items (that would be you, apparently), are in exactly the same category far as I'm concerned.

Imagine how much more you could be getting if you weren't pissing off som many potential buyers.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

That will be 8PM East coast time; you've got your time zones reversed.

Reply to
spaam_this