OT electrical question

Unless the 4-way switch in the center of the run has pilot lamps, the ones at the end won't really work right.

But I think this works if you draw two pilot lamps on the four-way switch. That is, if you draw the switch as four dots, and the center contacts either go straight thru or reverse, then the lamps have to be in the switch in such a way to make them in series with the messenger wires.

Jim

jim rozen

Saved me the trouble of doing the ASCII Art myself. The two wires in the middle are referred to as travelers, and there really isn't a defined NO or NC on the 3-way switches.

The pilot light in the switch is between the two travelers (you can use multiple lighted 3-way and 4-way switches in the same circuit), and they send the pilot light current through the ceiling light filament - remove that big lamp, and all the pilot lights in the switches go out.

When you check the circuit with the power applied & the lamp removed with a high-impedance meter, it looks like there's voltage at the lamp socket all the time, no matter which way you flip the switches...

That's when you take a step back and think"Sumthin's Wrong Here!" (sic ;-) and re-check all your assumptions. (And find out that they used lighted switches.)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Right, but the present question is, how do they implement the pilot light at the four-way switch? Seems to me they really would need two neon lamps there to make it work.

Jim

jim rozen

If you connect a single pilot light between the travelers on either side of the 4-way switch, it will be in parallel with the the pilot light at the 3-way wired to that side of the switch, so only one lamp needed at each switch.

I went thru the exercise of following the flow thru the various states of the switches before seeing the obvious. Doh!

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Grrr, why didn't I see that to start! If one did put two lamps in the four way switch, one would be on at all times!

Thanks for the explaination!

Jim

jim rozen