OT:Favorite Jeans?

I've wore Levi's for decades, but the last few pairs purchased are not the same. They feel like they have been given a wrinkle resistant treatment. No matter how many times washed, still the same. The new pants are foreign made, too. The previous jeans were all domestically produced.

Anyway, any recommendations on other brands?

Fred

Reply to
ff

Sewing clothing is labor intensive and our workers have priced themselves out of the global market... I doubt that any mass produced clothing items are made in the USA currently... All come from places where the wages are 1/10 or less than US wages, and the waste by product of the factories are flushed into the river or burned in open pits... Likely, your Levi's have been sewn overseas for some time now... The changes in the cloth are what you are noticing... As far as suggestions, maybe one of the big catalogue folks, Lands End or the joint up in Vermont (name escapes me) will have jeans that feel good... The price will be a bit higher than the local Wally World, or where ever...

denny

ff wrote:

Reply to
Denny

Reply to
Gerry

Real men wear Wranglers , Myself for work and play it's Carhartt's , shirts, pants, coveralls, coats, hats. the works..look, fit , and wear the best. A#1 I only wear jeans when it's casual out on the town.

ED

Reply to
ED

I think..in my 53 yrs..Ive owned maybe 3 pairs of Levi's.

Wranglers..thats the good uns.

As the bumperstickers around here, on the ladies cars and pickup trucks say clearly..."Wrangler butts drive us nuts"

Course if you have a big ass..they may make you look like a pair of half grown raccoons in a denim sack.....

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

Carhartts are good indeed. Though unless they been washed a few times..can chaffe the inside of your thighs. Even on skinny guys like me.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I got some of these a while back. After I got them I see they're made in South Africa. The quality is OK. They are kinda baggy but the price is right.

Randy Replogle

Gunner posted:

"I think..in my 53 yrs..Ive owned maybe 3 pairs of Levi's.

Wranglers..thats the good uns."

Got to agree with you there Gunner!

I wear Levi's only to do the dirty jobs, simply because they are amost always highly discounted and inexpensive hence perfect for thow-away use. Expect to pay nearly double the price for Wranglers, but worth it when you want to look cowboy casual and not like you spent the last 12 hours plowing a field or crawling on your hands and knees through a ditch!

Nobody has even mentioned "Lee's" which were made in my home town of Bordentown, NJ, where even there there noboby but farmers wore them, and then only when working the fields. (Think "American Gothic").

Just in passing there are still some quality soft goods made here in the US. I purchase them on the web, since I can't seem to find products of this quality sold in retails stores. The ourfit I deal with sells

100% Cotton Denim toolmakers aprons (which wear like iron but are very soft, comfortable, and washable). They also sell surgical scrubs, white doctors coats, police and airline clothing, etc., all lacking a brand name except for: 100% Cotton made in the USA and a part number. A friend of mine purchases the surgical scrubs for use as pajamas...and I keep telling him that these would make a large hit at the local bar!

Then too, can't argue with Wranglers. Ever notice how nicely they shrink fit to the body of a shapely 18 year-old? :-)

Harry C.

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
hhc314

Or even a mature 35 yr old lady...gotta love them heart shaped asses in Wranglers...

Gunner, 38x36 slimfit/cowboy cut.

Political Correctness

Gunner

Kirkland Signature Jeans - Costco. $13 a pair, all the time, so if they get wrecked while being worn for work you won't be heartbroken - like you would by wrecking Levi's at $30 to $50 a pop.

Wear well, good material and workmanship, and proper tailoring.

The only fault is they order their case lots with the sizes based on a Bell Curve for demand, and their curve doesn't quite match reality. If you fall way out on the end of the curve (40-32) you have to check the stacks on every visit and grab them when you find them. 30's and

32's they *always* have plenty.

Then go out and buy yourself an Overlock Machine and a good old Heavy Duty Singer - when you blow the knees out of the jeans you cut them off, hem them, and turn them into jeans shorts for the summer.

If you can afford the maintenance fees, it might be worth it to go get yourself a Significant Other to do the hemming and other work of this type, but the are REALLY expensive to keep - the featherbedding can be worse than a Union Shop. Things start out wonderful, but they morph from "Honey Pie" into "She Who Must Be Obeyed" real fast.

IMNSHO, it's *far and away* much cheaper in the long run to buy the machines and take the time to learn how to use them.

Carhartt's are more for colder areas where you want insulated workwear - if you live in a normally milder clime, you keep a few pairs of thermals around for those really cold days.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

That's the age where it could either be the upside down *or* right-side-up heart shape. :) Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

I just buy whatever is cheapest at local garage sales. Take 'em home, wash them in scalding hot water and boraxo. Wear them till they look really gross and toss 'em. Fat people are always outgrowing their 33 waist x 30 inseams. Buck a pair is fine with me. No tax. Sometimes free.

Reply to
daniel peterman

I still have a couple pair. My First Pair when I joined the Hippies, back in 1969 I think it was. Or was it '68? I just remember thinking "$5 for a pair of pants? The things we do for Fashion."

"Two young boys setting up a pup tent."

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich "Given our monstrous, overgrown government structure, any three letters chosen at random would probably designate an agency or part of a department that could be profitably abolished." Milton Freidman

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner wrote on Sat, 18 Nov 2006 21:54:30 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I've no idea what brand she was wearing, just that my train of thought completely derailed and took a dirt road when I came round the corner and saw her. I told her "You, my dear, are a hazard to navigation."

Oh yeah ...

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 22:19:43 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Bruce L. Bergman quickly quoth:

Bi-Mart has Rustler Jeans (made by Wrangler) for $8.88 and they're as tough as Levis with a better cut. I've lived in them for decades now, from 34/30 to 36/30 to 38/30s.

Excellent idea. I can do it on my straight stitch Consew machine.

------------------------------------------- Crapsman tools are their own punishment

Comprehensive Website Design ======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

LOL! Indeed!

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

Chuckle...I was digging though some old suitcases Id not opened for years..and found a Neru jacket I wore in the late 60s.

Sigh..it Almost fit..kinda sorta..well..I was tall and spindly in those days..

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

A pair of Rocky's enclosing something delectable is a heart beat enhancement device. They are cut like a push up bra. Rocky's are the female equivalent of Slim Fit Wranglers.

The unfortunate thing is..all to often, like a push up bra, once you unleash the packaging..its evident gravity has taken its toll.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

Kirkland jeans are good. The Vietnamese slacks they sell are also very good.

Reply to
ATP*
.

Carhart- I used to get my jeans at Wal-mart but they only lasted 1/3 as long as what Sears was selling. Now out in the country Sears is 100 miles away and I never get there. I've also noticed the clothes ar Wall-Mart seem to start falling apart within minutes of purchace. I get my work shirts at thrift stores for a dollar.

Reply to
Dr. Butter