OT: Favorite practical joke

Nope , I was there in the summer time. I did see the biggest bald eagle on the way there though. The web says they only have a wing span of 8' , but this was way bigger than that. It was sailing over the road we were on and then grabbed the top of a pine tree and bent it over for a place to sit. Must have been a 12'+ wing span , got me, but it was huge.

Sorry to hear it burned down. My mean step dad had/has a cabin just east of there I think. That was 30 years ago. The step son and I use to hike all over the forest up there, its was amazing that we never got too lost or munched by bear or wolfs.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

the phone trick reminds me of my favorite - years ago I worked for a particular company's field service office - I was a "baby engineer" then. The secretaries would go out to lunch once a week and have a martini or two and come back just a little "off", shall we say. Our secretary was a really nice lady with a great sense of humor, so one day whilst she was away, I removed the receiver from her phone and replaced it with a banana (connecting the coily cord into the base of the banana), replacing the banana on the chrome "hook" just like the original receiver. She came back after lunch with the girls, sat down and got to work, not noticing the switch, until the phone rang. There was a surprised "OH!" when she answered the banana, and then had to dash across the office to another phone (the call was from a senior executive, and she said she had a heck of a time not laughing at him). To her credit, she decided to play along and see what would happen as the sales staff (co-located at this office) would come by to flirt or pass the time as they would always do. As each salesman came by, she would proudly point to the banana, and extol the ingenuity of the engineers, and tell them "try it, it even works". Every single salesman picked up that banana and said "hello". We had a pretty non-productive afternoon.

Reply to
william_b_noble

"Tom Gardner" skrev i en meddelelse news:XQDyd.5216$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...

One of the classics here was wrapping the shift foremans car w. the large size saran wrap, normally used for pallets.. We did this a few times before we figured out it was more fun to wrap the poor guy to a pallet and park him at the refrigirated storageroom ( ~4C ) for half an hour... Needless to say.. This guy was not a friend :-)

At the same place we got cleaning products in 5 gallon plastic containers.. Remove the cap and drill a hole in it.. Fit a quick release air hose fitting on it...Put cap back on and connect air hose ( atleast 30' ) at container end and plug it in an air outlet and take cover.. The container blows up within a few seconds with a good thump.. You could use Dry Ice and a little hot water instead of having to deal w. compressed air..

Some of the machines had a pair of blowguns in different colors, one connected to compressed air, the other to a cold water line.. In the summertime people used the air ones to cool off ( temperatures typically around 30C on hot days ), so the sport was to swap the hoses at the outlet... This trick usually resulted in massive waterfights utilising every hose and pressurewasher in the area :-)

Same place had outdoor surveillance cameras to help detect leaks from outdoor storage tanks.. A favourite with these was hanging the centerfold from a nudiemagazine infront of the camera..

Dry ice ( Solid CO2 ) in the toilet bowl--- Do I need to explain that one ?

Saran Wrap or a rubber band inside a sandwich is also loads of fun..

/peter

When I was stationed at Keesler AFB in Biloxi for tech school, back in

1970, "some guys" used to get cheap balsa planes, glue foil to the wings, and fly them into the horns of the over-the-horizon radars. Always got a rise out of the radar ops, not to mention the nice bursts of flame as the planes got close.

Not exactly a joke, but we laughed about it later -- after Keesler, I was a computer tech at NORAD, and one of the standard training protocols was to jumper out some circuit, then have the new guy trace the fault (this was in the days before IC's, the CPU consisted of about

60,000 2x2 circuit cards). Anyway, we did that on the maintenance machine for a newbie tech, who spent about 3 hours working on the problem, before coming back to the shop with a piece of purple wire in his hand, with the announcement that he had "found our jumper". Of course, the joke was on us, as he had found no such thing, but instead had removed what turned out to be an **undocumented** engineering change the factory techs had put in, but forgotten to note on the prints! The rest of us spent the next two shifts trying to find where it went -- of course, the newbie had just grabbed it out of the machine when he thought he had found our "jumper". What a PITA that one was! Regards,

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Ya know after reading some of these posts about practical jokes in the workplace, some of them downright dangerous, that it could be one of the reasons companies are out-sourcing more and more...Just joking, no troll ;0)

granpaw

Reply to
granpaw

Dangerous, reminds me of years ago I was in Troy Ohio at a factory school to repair commercial microwave ovens. These ovens had a pyramid shaped aluminum piece that slowly rotated in the top of the cooking cavity to bounce the energy around so as to prevent cold spots, it was called a "mode stir". The door (stainless steel, no window) had interlock switches that shut off the oven when the door is opened. The only way to check the mode stir was to put the oven in a cook cycle and quickly open the door, if working, you would see the mode stir just coming to a stop. The class clown bypassed the door interlock relay and called the instructor over, telling him he's checked several times and cant tell if his mode stir is working. The instructor put the oven in a cook cycle, knelt down, opened the door and pushed his head in. The oven didnt turn off, but after about one long second a slow blow fuse blew. The instructor didnt see the humor in it. They fired him on the spot and sent him back to his hometown that night. He said his face felt immediate warmth, we asked if he's afraid he'll become impotent, he replied no, the only way that can really happen is to stick your balls in the cavity and SLAM the door shut.

Forger

Reply to
Forger

why did thay fire him?

Reply to
HaroldA102

One I've done:

At a summer camp, get a spool of black sewing thread, some very small black fishhooks (#20-22 midge hooks work very well), and some beeswax (or a can of neutral Kiwi shoe polish). Tie one of the fishhooks to the end of the thread. Late at night, sneak up to one of the cabins and hook the center of the screen over one of the windows. Walk a couple of hundred feet into the woods, pull the thread tight, and rub the thread with the wax near where you're holding it. Wet your hands in the dew on the grass, and rub the thread where it's waxed. The squeak will be transmitted down to the cabin, making the screen sing and squeal, surprisingly loudly. The kids in the cabin will not be able to figure out what's going on, even if they are looking right at the screen, and will began to get very agitated. Even if they go outside and look, they won't be able to see the thread, or anyone there. Works particularly well if someone's told some ghost stories earlier in the evening.

-- Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

a mistake huh Harold?, should keep the guys with a sense of humor Merry Xmas to ya :)

Reply to
Forger

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:08:55 GMT, "Tom Gardner" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Wish somebody would play that joke on me!

The most unpleasant but harmless joke I have had done to me was when I was hung over quite badly...one of those mornings after a party when you are glad you woke up on the floor of that party house, and not in gaol for DUI.

Anyway, I was talking to a guy at the dining table and while he talked he had been fiddling with a box of matches. As he talked he set them down on the table, and while I was watching him as we talked, out of the corner of my eye I saw the box start very slowly moving across the table top. Not a nice feeling. Simple trick with some cotton and a drawing pin. Very neatly carried out by distracting me. really nasty when you're a bit "under the weather"

And the other one is to be talking to somebody after a game of darts. Start talking about what having a dart in the guts would feel like. As you talk, quietly unwind the tip from the flight and throw the flight.......make sure you get themn separate tnd that you throw the right one.

Both simple but worked on me, when done well.

Reply to
Old Nick

OK, I've got to ask. What is "some cotton and a drawing pin"? I know what cotton is, but what exactly is used here? Is this cotton thread? A drawing pin is what? Some details please on how this one was done!

Lane

Reply to
Lane

It's brit- or aussie--speak for "needle and thread", I'd expect. Those guys never did learn to speak english properly :)

Reply to
Don Bruder

Naw, cotton *is* thread, but a drawing pin is what used to be used to hold drawings down to a drawing board before they invented drafting tape. Nowadays they are called "push pins" or "map pins" and look like:

I bet he pushed the pin into the edge of the tabletop where the mark couldn't see it then looped the cotton thread attached to the matchbox around it so that when he pulled the free end of the thread the box moved *away* from him, reinforcing the image that it wasn't he pulling it toward him.

'Course if I had to do that stunt today, I'd probably use a box of paperclips and move a rare earth magnet in my hand (or taped to the tip of my shoe) under the table.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

A "drawing pin" is what you would probably call a "thumb tack". (Not a "push pin")

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
Jeff R.

Thanks Jeff and Don for clearing the picture for me!

Lane

Reply to
Lane

This just reminded me of a similar school trick.

In 6th grade I took the dog "jerky treats" to school and handed them out to the class as real beef jerky!

Tim

Reply to
TheMan

What about throwing dry ice into the toilet. Makes great thick white fog that floats out of the toilet bowl down to the floor. Completely unreal. Try doing this in a public toilet...

Ignoramus23411

Somewhat related, when I was a computer service technician I dared another tech to take a bite out of a new donut a customer left out on their desk (we were repairing a PC). He did one better, picked up the donut and LICKED the underside. Then he put the donut back on the desk for the customer/victim to consume. To this day (8 years later), at work, I will not consume any food or beverage that has been out of my sight for more than 2 seconds. If I have to leave my desk I actually lock up anything I'm eating or drinking in a desk drawer...and if I forget, when I get back I have to throw it away, knowing what indeed can happen to your unprotected donut...among other things.

Tim.

Reply to
TheMan

Gunner, simply awesome. I spent four summers of my youth working at a local sailboat shop filled with a**hole customers like this. I'd woulda pay real money to see this!

PS. What is it about the Hunters brand that brought out the best in people?

Tim.

Reply to
TheMan

Never ever piss off the pizza faced munchkins working in the fast food joints.

Gunner

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, nonaddictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or the secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious or secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

May you have a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2005, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make the world great, and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, political belief, choice of computer platform, or sexual preference of the wishee.

By accepting this greeting you are accepting these terms. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for herself or himself or others, is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is under warranty to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and the warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.

Reply to
Gunner