OT: Favorite practical joke

To me there is nothing more enjoyable than a GOOD practical joke. A good one involves no one getting hurt and everybody gets a laugh.

My very good friend Tom and I grew up together and stayed in touch at least monthly. He shows up at the shop every once in a while with two things in his hand that used to be one thing. I drop whatever I'm doing and wave the wand. He, in turn, has done mucho favors for me.

A few years ago, Tom bought a new S-10 pick-up that he waited for months. God, he LOVED that truck from the get-go. So, I would stop at his apartment complex every night and add 2 gallons of gas to his tank. Now he REALLY, REALLY loves that truck, after all, he's getting 50 miles to the gallon and he's telling everybody. I did this for a month then stopped. He's heartbroken and takes it back to the dealer that he bought it from and where he used to be a salesman. He complains the his mileage is now down to 22 mpg from 50. The service rep looks at him like he's from another planet. I never told him 'cuz I hope I can get him again.

Any other good ideas?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

$120.00 for a practical joke ........priceless! That is funny and I want you to try it on me next. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

I heard a similar story about a guy back in the early 60's that bought a Renault. The only difference was they kept track of how much gas they added and then removed the same amount.

If you have the old style phone where you can unscrew the cover over the ear piece, unscrew this and cover it with some saran wrap and replace the cover. Now in the little depression in the ear piece fill it with some sort of grease like Vaseline, butter, Crisco or if you really are a heartless SOB and your victim really deserves it some black axel grease.

When your victim arrives call the number from your cell phone and carefully observe the facial expression when he answers the phone.

I did this to my wife and actually caught her twice in one day on the same phone about 5 minutes after the first ear greasing. The only thing was I didn't make the second phone call.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Saran Wrap over the bowl, but under the toilet seat is an interesting trick as well......

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where." Scipio

Reply to
Gunner

I worked with a guy who bought a brand new GMC truck, our hero was an anal sort and would bug me whenever his truck hickuped. After 9 months of this I started bringing my oil can to work and putting oil on his front axle ( it wasn't a 4X4). At first he thought the front axle had sprung a leak, them figured it must be the engine. The people I worked with saw this happening and him asking me what it could be. I would always give the correct answer " watch your fluids, if none are going down don't worry". He would reply that he checked all the fluids and couldn't find any that were going down.

I stopped when he said that he was going to have the engine pulled to find the leak.

There also was the saab with Barny farts but I have to go. Pat

Reply to
Pat Ford

Back in the days when soft drinks all came in bottles one could smear a bit of black printer's ink on the rim of a full or nearly full bottle Coke and it would just disappear. Well, until the victim took a drink. The hard part was keeping a straight face until enough other people had seen the victim. Best to do this to someone who can't run as fast as you.

Reply to
Jim Levie

When I was at college many years ago the car park didn't have any lighting, so it was great fun in winter when it got dark early to jack up someone's car and stack the rear axles up on piles of bricks. Stones in the hub caps was another jape.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

Tom

I have a 1998 "S-10" and get over 29 MPG as averaged over several months.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes

bought a

Another good joke for a brand-new-car person is to always keep brand new shiny 8-32 machine screws in your pocket. Whenever you get a ride, or the door is open, drop one on the floor, then watch them go crazy looking for the part of the dash that's falling apart. Also as devious for the phone trick is a little Prussian Blue on the receiver. There was a time in one shop where I had worked that you didn't dare answer the phone, grab any handle on any machine or use a loupe without wiping it off first, or you got blueing on your hands/ear/eyelid. And this was BEFORE the hiding of toolboxes (once found mine on the other side of the plant in the men's room stall, so I retaliated by using straps and the overhead crane and "hid" the box 20 foot high) or the removal of the screws on the casters (not recommended for really heavy boxes, we want to be funny, not send someone to the hospital), the grinding of flat spots on the casters for that wonderful thunka-thunka-thunka sound when wheeling the box, loc-tite in the locks of toolboxes, vaseline on toilet seats, or the ever popular empty-the-gojo container and refill with clear rtv (most effective right before lunch or the end of the day hand-washing session). We really DID get some work done, too. Ron

Reply to
doo

One of the coldest and most clever I've heard of was to put a live fly inside the windscreen of a recording engineer's microphone.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Did you fill anyone's toolbox with 2-part packing urethane?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I bet you live close to Tom :) Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
rex

One rubber band to depress the handle of the kitchen sink sprayer. Everyone has heard of vaseline or saran wrap on toilet seats but if you can write backwards you can put interesting mesages with silver nitrate. Or a single small drop of super glue which tries to remain liquid for a few minutes until someone's butt wrings it into a thin film.

Reply to
bamboo

We have a good one that hangs on the wall. Nicely coiled loop of copper tubing. Trombone or tuba mouthpiece. Some interesting holes bored in a cross piece of copper, nicely soldered in. Could probably have a funnel or such for a horn bell, though ours does not. Keep a small quantity of water in the "horn" at all times. The true outlet is directed at the blowers face.

Always fun to have a really big fella give it all he's got to get a big sound. Helps to suggest that you really need to get a lot of air going to get a good tone.

DanG

A friend was going on vacation and mentioned that his cats would be at a boarding kennel. The thought that they would be lonely kittys crossed my mind and that blossomed into The Lonely Cat Society.

I wrote to friends across the USA and as far away as South Africa. In each letter was a return letter and enelope for sending back the letter of inquiry for more information about the Lonely Cat Society.

About thirty of these things went out and started coming back to him when he got back from vacation. After about ten had arrived in his post box he figured out who the culprit was and begged me to stop the madness.

Of course at that point I had no control over it and the letters continued to arrive at irregular intervals for several more months.

A whole lot of fun for not to much $$$.

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff

Record you victims answering machine message. Phone them and either play back their message or leave their message on their answering machine.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

That sounds similar to the Hydro Discomforter that was sitting on the table of the firehouse I belonged to years ago. It was a well made metal box about the size of a toaster oven with the words Do Not Open on the outside. Needless to say, one of the more curious firefighters (not me, btw) just had to see what was in the box. He was met with a shower of water from the paddles inside which activated when the lid was lifted. One of these days I will have to build one of those things..... Jim

Reply to
Jim & Hils

Drill & tap toolbox for Zerk fitting.

Pump full of grease.

This is only done to folks who are *real* pains in the ass, and have otherwise transgressed in some major fashion.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Unscrew most of the nearby light bulbs to increase the chances for 'success' with this one.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

A few I've been a part of or witnessed:

A guy I used to worked with would put the smallest little pin hole just under the lip of a soda can when one was left unattended. The owner would return and take a gulp to have a small dribble on his chin. Would often take a while for them to catch on. Most thought they weren't holding the can right or something.

I had a manager that was retiring at the lazy B. On his last day I took a stiff piece of card board and rubber bands and paper clips to improvise a paddle wheel affair for the top desk drawer pencil tray. Clip the paper clips to the outer edges of the pencil tray holding the rubber bands that were attached to the cardboard that was cut to work just right. Wind it up, then filled tray with paper hole punches from all the paper punches I could find. Sliding the drawer closed kept the cardboard from unwinding. When he came in and reached for a pen, whoooosh..... paper punches all over his cubicle and a smile on all his employees faces. He took it well.

Again at the lazy B. We used two part commercial epoxy to glue a quarter to the floor of the shop in the main isle. Fun watching people either try to kick it or bend over to try to pick it up. Then they are embarrassed and look around to see who was watching. After three days it was finally gone when we came in in the AM. Someone must have taken a hammer to it.

I saw a guys lunch box glued to the lunch table. He went to pick it up and the handle came with him but the rest didn't.

Lane

Reply to
Lane