OT Ford adhesive-removal of

Just discovered the rear quarter window on my '95 Ranger PU uses four threaded studs to hold the window gasket to the body, sealed by putty and the glass is GLUED to the gasket. Broke the window and have not been able to disolve the glue to get all the little pieces of broken safety glass off the gasket. Tried Acetone, cleaning solvent, and carb cleaner. BTW, the local Ford dealer quoted me $734 for the window!!!!! Any help appreciated.

Reply to
Roger Hull

You'll probably find it's a poly-eurethane(spelling???) adhesive. In which case the only reliable method to remove it, is to cut it off. I don't think there's any solvents that will dissolve it.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Find such a solvent, and Ford will likely dump millions in hush-money on you... They intend that stuff to be *FOREVER*.

I'd expect you're going to have no option but to replace the gasket and window as a unit - Also according to Ford plans for generating revenue long past the time the model has been discontinued.

Reply to
Don Bruder

Perhaps this is something special, but in general the auto dealer is the last place I would go for auto glass (or most anything else). Have you tried an auto glass place? Failing that, ask at a collision shop and/or an insurance adjuster where they would go to get the job done.

Reply to
Vaughn

I second this notion. I had a windshield installed parts and labor for about $225 in my Mercedes and they came to my office.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Reply to
william_b_noble

No idea where you are at..but in California...most of the Pick A Part places have subbed a couple guys to install glass. Cheaper than even the glass shops for new and you can get used glass VERY cheap.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

Glued in glass is the rule nowadays, and you can get it done for a lot less than the dealer wants - heck, they often don't do it themselves, they call the same mobile glass company and mark it up.

An important tip for big pieces of glued-in glass: When they tell you not to move or drive the car for a day, and leave the windows down, they're not kidding... If the body racks on a driveway or you slam the door with the windows closed, the glue bond can pop between the body and the glass before it's fully set. Resulting in odd wind noises and rain leaks, and a rusted out pillar if water gets trapped.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

And...if the volume of, I THINK "Modern Miracles" that I saw on Discovery Channel a bit ago is correct...it can impact the rigidity and strength of the vehicle itself, as the glass IS a structural element in the vehicles now (got to love that tinfoil, unibody construction!) However, I suspect that in the overall sense, the worst annoyance WOULD be the whistles and leaks. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

Thats what duct tape is for.