OT Frozen Pipes - WOW!

Came across the photo below today. I don't doubt that it's real.

The home next to us froze up a year ago this January, when the owners were away for the winter. I was the one who first noticed it when I saw three large dirty brown frozen "waterfalls" on the outside of one of their garage doors. It's a year later now, the house is still unoccupied, and the owners are still negotiating with their insurer over the issue of "abandonment" without taking any appropriate safeguards to prevent the several hundred thousand dollars of water damage which occurred.

Sure convinced me that the next time we leave home for more than a day in the winter I'm gonna remember to at least close the main water shutoff and invest forty bucks in a low temperature alarm which will dial up a buddy with a key to our place.

See:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

That picture could'a come from around here ! It got to -44.2 C last night in Saskatoon. The wind chill numbers are real stupid, well into the -50's range (that's somewhere in the -60's F ) as there's been a bit of a breeze, which tends to be uncommon when it gets this cold. Tomorrow we are supposed to be a balmy -26C, I can hardly wait ...

Dave

to place the blame on."

Reply to
Dave Keith

Reply to
Jimbo

A rather silly climate where you can jump in the freezer to warm up...

Reply to
Ian Stirling

If you want to scare the crap out of yourself get a certified copy of your house insurance policy. They are all different but they all contain a time period when the house must be inpected. The time period could be every 48 hours or once a week but it is very impotrant to know what your contract says. Only the super rich can afford a loss like that and the legal bills and time to fight their insurers in court.

Jimbo

Reply to
Jimbo

I got exiled to Wis. on the worst winter in a hundred years. It was like 40 below F and my mom's new car would hardly crank in the garage. It was about -47 out the garage door and I had to get out of there. Walked out to my '47 Chevy PU and broke the door handle right off the truck . Praying at the passenger side I got into the truck and it fired right up. Oh, and 40 mph winds ! No surfing that day that's for sure.

Reply to
Sunworshiper

i particularly like the Triple-A sign on the back wall(!). maybe it was added for effect? --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

Wow, indeed. I'm so happy to live in California when I see a picture like this.

Abrasha

Abrasha

It was over + 10 C here today. Next Sunday, the low is predicted to be -2.

Steve R.

Reply to
Udie

Got all the way up to about -10C here. Cold enough that the recoil starter on the blower was frozen, lucky for me because it brought to my attention that there was only one strand of rope left. Got that back together, then went across the road to play in the double drive, they got well pushed in by the plough overnight. Took about an hour but it helped out the wives who normally do the shoveling. I have a corner lot and keep the bank cut back to the curb upstream and on around the corner, this way when the plow goes by, I get very little dumped in my double wide driveway. SWMBO thinks I have away too much fun playing in the snow, she would rather be in Florida but our accommodation (her sister ) moved back to Canada. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Yeah, but remember how nice the summer is up here? Uh, besides the black flies and mosquitos that is. -19 this fine morning.

Jim Kovar Vulcan, Mi

Reply to
Jim Kovar

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "on ice".

Hey, you Canuks, quit sending that cold air down here to New York. I don't think I've seen it this windy and cold in a long time around here. Even I'm thinking of warmer climates.

Bernd

I know someone who's entire basement was flooded when their icemaker supply line popped. Totalled the whole house. They were gone on vacation for a week, and apparently the line had started leaking right after they left. There was about 3 feet of water standing in the basement. The water had wicked itself up the walls and ruined all of the walls on the main floor as well.

JW

Reply to
Jeridiah

Yeah, it is -12F right now w/ a -30+F windchill. A little north from here they are saying it is -30 actual w/ -60+ windchill.

It's cold enough where I think it may have frozen my gas supply line. Currently there does not seem to be any gas in the house and the tank is full.

JW

Reply to
Jeridiah

"Sunworshiper"

Would that be the winter of '81-'82? That was the one that drove me out of Milwaukee to visit my mom in Sedona, AZ. I stayed until the construction biz recovered in '85, nice vacation that was. Tom, shoveling at -5 F.

Reply to
Tom Wait

"Jeridiah"

Buddy of mine rented an old farm house for a while. It was heated with a wood stove. One fine winter day he came to the city to visit me. While he was here a blizzard left a couple feet of snow. He decided to stay till the roads were plowed. He was here three days maybe. Meanwhile back at the ranch, the pipes froze in his basement and burst. The deep pump started and kept on running. A neighbor checked up on the house, and called to tell Dale to get home now. I drove with him out to the farm. When we arrived we saw that the water had filled the basement to the first floor joists. The light fixture at the bottom of the stairs was burning under the ice that had formed on the water! The fire department was called to pump it out. Before they could get in, the county plow had to clear the 300' driveway. The owner got the bill from the county and the fire department and my friend was evicted. There is a moral to all this. Move to AZ Tom, freezing my ass off in Milwaukee.

Reply to
Tom Wait

This just stiffens my resolve to turn off the city water to the house if I'm going to be away for even one night.

Jim

jim rozen

Seems there must be some type of solenoid shut-off valve, maybe coupled with a basement floor water alarm. Gotta check into this.

Jim Kovar Vulcan, Mi

Reply to
Jim Kovar

Good luck.....

Up here in Edmonton it has been hovering around minus 35 the past number of days and we have had three major fires this past week.

A major Condo complex, a food store complex and today a chicken processing plant.... all burned to the ground.

Our fire department has sure been earning their pay this week.

Reply to
Shivering in Canada

Greetings Jeridiah, I don't know how cold it has to get to lower the pressure enough to stop gas flow but I had a problem with water in the propane. It was a new bottle and the gas company changed the reg, lines, and valve. It still would freeze up when the furnace started. I called the reg manufacturer and they said it had to be water. I called the gas co. and told them. They came out with a new full tank and it worked perfect. Later, they told me there was indeed water in the tank. At least a couple gallons. And their supplier guaranteed dry tanks. Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow