OT Frozen Pipes - WOW!

Yes I think it was and about 60 miles north of Green Bay. I get the chills just thinking about it. My girl friends' parents had a doberman that stayed out by the garage in a box that blocked the wind like a pallet. I have no idea how it lived , maybe they were feeding it anti-freeze. I was always bitching that they could at least have got a dog with some fur on it.

Reply to
Sunworshiper

One thermostat in series with a 1200K resister across your telephone line is a nice alarm system. Set the thermostat for whatever makes you comfortable above freezing.

Call your phone number. If you get a ring just hang up. If you get a busy signal the temperature at the thermostat has dropped low enough to put 1200K across the phone line and that creates a busy signal. You have a problem. Either go home or call someone who can go there.

This requires an old fashioned type thermostat which makes metal contact and can carry a modest current.

If I leave home even for an overnight trip I shut the water off.

Reply to
Don Wilkins

That should be 1200 ohm resister.

Reply to
Don Wilkins

Same thing happened to a friends Florida house. He had the water shut off when he left, but a contractor doing some outside work turned the water on - and the ice-maker let go. What a mess - in Florida it only has to be wet for a day or too for the mold to get REAL bad. A long trip back from Wellesley to fix everything ------

Reply to
clare

SiL had a double wide in a park in Kissimmee, the water heater sprung a leak and the sawdust board floors all sagged. After that was repaired the dehumidifier overflowed and guess what - another three sheets. Most of those "Manufactured homes" are POS especially if they were made in Florida. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Turns out it was the regulator on the side of the house. Covered it with a horse blanket and a small space heater. Took about 10 minutes and the gas started flowing again. Must have been some moisture in the lines somewhere. I will have my gas supplier check into it. Can't be having this....

JW

Reply to
Jeridiah

Apparently they save the well and the lot. Now that should be worth at least honorable mention if not a blue ribbon.

Reply to
Don Wilkins