OT: fuel shortage in Phoenix (humor)

Many companies and/or insurance companies even have rules regarding the use of product involved in an accident. Liabilities abound. Food products generally must be destroyed with an inspector present. Other products have equally strange use rules after an accident. There's a dollar amount assigned to new vehicles - if transit damage exceeds a set limit, the vehicle is destroyed. If it happens on the truck and meets that limit, they crush it. If it happens 5 seconds after it was unloaded from the truck and signed into inventory, they fix it or discount it. What a system.

WTB - serial PCI card.

Reply to
hank

Where have you seen this on an underground pipeline? Being in the pipeline business I have never seen an expansion loop on an underground line (with one exception being a short hot water heating loop, not a x country pipeline). To gather a little more info I ask one of the welders that often works for me, he has over 35 years pipeline experience and has seen more than I have, and again, never seen a loop on underground pipe. Pretty common above ground tho, and anymore they are not normally a loop, they are fabbed with 90's. I've made a bunch of these. So please tell me more. I like to learn something new at least once per day.

regards, JTMcC.

Reply to
John T. McCracken

IMO, taking the hit from a supplier not keeping up for a short time is far better than keeping an inventory and paying the taxes and paying a real smart guy to figure the overly complicated taxes on a constantly coming in and constantly going out inventory. That IMO is the major driving force behind JIT. So, I say, not thanks to Sony, thanks to the run amock IRS. And, it is more cost effective, and the majority of America seems to be going for the (Wally World) low price leader. As with most business decisions that the average worker guy doesn't understand, blame usually lies with the IRS.

regards, JTMcC, paying much more than his share.

Reply to
John T. McCracken

I think this is because if the temperature never changes, nothing expands.

Jim

jim rozen

Best not to listen to them... mine has already referred to me as "old and slow" and he's not nearly into double digits. Not that I can catch the little so and so..

It's a heat treating (tempering?) process they do by moving the furnace (and controls) to the metal rather than the other way around. Just some 'metal' content..

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

: )

I know and understand stress relief of welds and have done it many times, but I've never seen nor heard of it on a pipeline, it's a normal procedure on the chrome piping common in powehouses. I'm wondering about the reference to stress relief as it relates to this pipeline, I very likely missed something. That line, and the others in that corridor were mostly laid between 1955 and

1965, the All American Line being the exception. They are all reaching the end of their service life. That's bad for Kinder Morgan, but good for those of us that build pipelines!

regards, JTMcC.

Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

John T. McCracken

I'm guessing a bunch of Rosebuds or a big honking induction coil.

Tim

-- In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!" Website @

Tim Williams

Yea! a bunch of rosebuds! give me a break, you don't heat treat pipeline welds, there, I said it! : ), if anyone has first hand experience doing so, I want to hear all about it! You do often pre heat and post heat tho. When you stress relieve welds, it is to a certain temp, for a set amount of time, no rosebuds allowed please! : ) Heaters made for the job are used.

regards, JTMcC, who is trying to be polite to those talking about underground expansion loops and stress relieving line pipe! : )

Reply to
John T. McCracken

We just supplied a whole whack of controls for it, I've never seen the process in the field. It used a bunch of three-phase electric power.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

The other day , mon. I think , nope it was Sat. I was digging for change for ice and power aids to make it though the day and then I would have $. I could have swore I saw gas under $1.50 for the first time in a long time at that same store. So, after I finished the job and a fist full of cash and only thinking "wow, gas $". I had to stop cause the gas gauge was on walk. It was $1.78 maybe 6 hours later!

29 cents in 6 hours... They say Vegas gas comes from Kalf. and the price is cause of their problems ( which I never could figure out with the Alasken pipe line and all ). Oh, now it's from Tx.
Reply to
Sunworshiper

And lo, it came about, that on Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:04:06 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking , "gglines" was inspired to utter:

That's the point of the "gouging" - rationing by wallet, rather than by government fiat. People will make decision based on the cost/benefit comparisons they do. "I'll sit in line for an hour for 1.91 cast, two hours for 1.75 gas, but fagedaboutit at $3.50" Also, it "saves" gas. I remember during one of the big price hikes/shortages, reading of a station which was charging 4 times the going rate. But they were also open 24 hrs a day, and they did have (and sell) gas.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

And lo, it came about, that on Wed, 20 Aug 2003 06:03:15 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking , Gunner was inspired to utter:

You understand, This never would have happened if it weren't for the Recall.

There was this pipeline break in Arizona, and combined with the blackout in New York, and the war for oil in Iraq.

???

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

The gas companies - liquid or pressurized all rise the price of their ware when a butterfly flaps its wings in Montana. To get them to drop it, it takes 6 months of pressure until a time they praise themselves for a quick solution.

I think any other business that did that billing method would be tossed out.

I don't think the Government - state or federal want to mix it up with them to much.

Don't expect much unless they start a price war - but then most of the stations are company owned now - fewer and fewer places exist. The local Exxon died - actually the name changed - same owner, workers, Exxon said 100% company or 0%. Since the owner had several stations and had his children at all of them - he decided to go independent. The people never noticed a change except for the change in signs. New shirts on the guys and the like.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn

What oil? It's a four stroke. Also, it's a tiny bike. I wouldn't worry about the cops, it would be making out at 35 MPG on the freeway.

George

Reply to
gglines

Of course it is, but there is a bit of rationale for it.

Gas stations price the gas based on expected replacement cost rather than aquisition cost. The reason they do that is so they'll be able to buy gas to sell next week.

The margin on retail gasoline is small, so the gas station operators are seldom flush with cash. No one in the supply chain wants to supply gas to the retailers on credit, and a lot of gas stations don't have a strong line of credit with their banks. So they have to operate this way.

Unless the station has a firm price futures contract (and they almost never do unless they're a large chain operation), expected replacement cost is uncertain, so the stations err on the side of high rather than low to cover them in case their price prediction is wrong. That's why it takes a while for the prices to work their way back down.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

So I guess I had better not bitch about DSM IA gas going from 1.49 to

1.59 after NYC blackout. It was >
Reply to
pat

Hey. I just bought a tank full at 0.78. That is £0.78/litre. Lessee that's

0.78*3.632*1.57=$4.45/US gal

Have a nice day!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

How much of that goes to your stink'n government. Ever thought of thought of tossing a few tankers in the ocean? Worked for us.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Course the language took a beating,.... ;)

Say, the fixed pipeline broke again and they plan on putting in a bypass. There was also something about a truck running into the big pipe to California. Will the lucky breaks never stop?

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Must be. Gas here in Georgia just hit $1.42 a gallon at the Quik Trip. The pundits are saying it is because more people are driving instead of flying this summer. But air traffic is up compared to last year, so if that's the reason, gas should be cheaper than last year. It isn't.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman