OT Funny foamy story

from HSM - found on the net

A friend of mine once built a canoe. He spent a long time on it and it was a work of art. Almost the final phase was to fill both ends with polyurethane expanding foam. He duly ordered the bits from Mr Glasplies (an excellent purveyor of all things fibreglass) and it arrived in two packs covered with appropriately dire warnings about expansion ratios and some very good notes on how to use it. Unfortunately he had a degree, worse still two of them. One was in Chemistry, so the instructions got thrown away and the other in something mathematical because in a few minutes he was merrily calculating the volume of his craft to many decimal places and the guidelines got binned as well. He propped the canoe up on one end, got a huge tin, carefully measured the calculated amounts of glop, mixed them and quickly poured the mixture in the end of the canoe (The two pack expands very rapidly). I arrived as he was completing this and I looked in to see the end chamber over half full of something Cawdors Witches would have been proud of. Two thing occurred to me, one was the label which said in big letters: "Caution - expansion ration 50:1" (or something similar) and the other that the now empty tins said "approximately enough for 20 small craft" Any comment was drowned out by a sea of yellow brown foam suddenly pouring out of the middle of the canoe and the end of the canoe bursting open. My friend screamed and leapt at his pride and joy which was knocked to the ground as he started trying to bale handfuls of this stuff out with his hands. Knocking the craft over allowed the still liquid and not yet fully expanded foam to flow to the other end of the canoe where it expanded and shattered that end as well. A few seconds later and we had a canoe with two exploded ends, a mountain of solid foam about 4ft high growing out of the middle, and a chemist firmly embedded up to his armpits in it. At this stage he discovered the reaction was exothermic and his hands and arms were getting very hot indeed. Running about in small circles in a confined space while glued to the remains of a fairly large canoe proved ineffective so he resorted to screaming a bit instead. Fortunately a Kukri was to hand so I attacked the foam around his hands with some enthusiasm. The process was hindered by the noise he was making and the fact he was trying to escape while still attached to the canoe. Eventually I managed to hack out a lump of foam still including most of his arms and hands. Unfortunately my tears of laughter were not helping as they accelerated the foam setting. Seeking medical help was obviously out of the question, the embarrassment of having to explain his occupation (Chief Research Chemist at a major petrochemical organisation) would simply never have been lived down. Several hours and much acrimony later we had removed sufficient foam (and much hair) to allow him to move again. However he still looked something like a failed audition for Quasimodo with red burns on his arms and expanded blobs of foam sticking everywhere. My comment that the scalding simple made the hairs the foam was sticking to come out easier was not met with the enthusiasm I felt it deserved. I forgot to add that in retrospect rather unwisely he had set out to do this deed in the hallway of his house (the only place he later explained with sufficient headroom for the canoe - achieved by poking it up the stairwell. Having extricated him we now were faced with the problem of a canoe construction kit embedded in a still gurgling block of foam which was now irrevocably bonded to the hall and stairs carpet as well as several banister rails and quite a lot of wallpaper. At this point his wife and her mother came back from shopping...... Oh yes - and he had been wearing the pullover Mum in law had knitted him for his birthday the week before.

Reply to
Rex

Something similar, but less dramatic, happened to me when I filled two crosswise front trailer tubes with similar material called Great Stuff. I was not hurt (other than a mar on my shoes), but a surprising amount came out, fell down and glued itself to the concrete in a neat pile.

The foam came out of small holes on both ends of the tubes, so I was kind of impressed and think that the foam did a great job at filling the tube and protecting it from rust. I think that I will do the same with the two lengthwise tubes. Right now they are sealed with Great stuff on the rear end only.

Ignoramus27770

"Rex" wrote: (clip) A few seconds later and we had a canoe with two exploded ends, a mountain of solid foam about 4ft high growing out of the middle, and a chemist firmly embedded up to his armpits in it. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Does he realize that you may have saved his life? If any of that had solidified around his mouth and nose, the yelling would have stopped.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Speaking of brown stuff shooting out & filling things LMAO so hard now you owe me a new pair of underwear :).

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

I had a Ford truck that the armrest on the driver's door foam inside had failed. Easy fix I thought...I poked a hole in the plastic cover just big enough to get the tube for a car of Great Stuff in. Shot some foam in that and all looked good. I left and came back the next morning to find that the foam had continued to expand after I had left and I now and a huge goose egg under the vinyl. Had to make a 1/4" hole in the area and run a flattened welding rod through a tube to ear the foam into pieces I could suck out through a 1/4" tube. I would have been wiser to just go to a junkyard and buy another panel

Had a friend who tried to repair a Igloo icechest with the stuff with similar results.

The DPO of my MGBGT sprayed the stuff in body cavities trying to stop drafts. When it came time to repaint the engine bay I learned that the stuff has no solvent that will safely desolve it.

I don't like the stuff nearly as much as I used to.

Reply to
Gerry

At this point, I would seriously consider burning the house down, canoe and all.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Having worked with S-RIM techonology in the past, I am supprised that a fire wasn't mentioned in the list of calamities.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

and it just proves that education and intelligence are not the same thing.

Reply to
digitalmaster

Not the OP's story, unknown author ("I heard this from a friend who ...").

The Fuck-Up Protagonist (FUP) threw the directions away, but didn't notice the big letters on the label, which the author did right off?

How does the foam exert any pressure in an open space? It isn't a sealed compartment that it was expanding in. It's "still liquid" & flowing.

Likewise

4 feet high? If the original volume half-filled one end chamber, it couldn't have been more than 2 gallons. At 50:1, that would be 100 gallons (13 cu ft) expanded. The expanding & still liquid foam was flowing all over the place. If it only covered a 3' x 4' area, it would be 1' deep.

Skeptical, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Not quite so funny, but I was certainly directly involved. We had a 4,000 sq ft of surface of walls and ceilings of a new metal building that I wanted a 1" foam coating. Our existing building had been foamed 30 years ago and I liked it. Contact with Fastenal produced a price of $590 for a two tank kit purported to cover 600 sq. ft in a depth of 1". Seven kits were bought. Experience showed more like 300 sq. ft of coverage was obtained. Subsequent dialogue with Convenience Products, the source of the "Touch 'n Seal" foam kits, couldn't find anything that we were doing wrong and they ended up providing a total of 8 more kits and we finally got the job done. We couldn't get the expansion that was advertised no matter what we tried. Our experience with the throw away gun/hose assembly was negative as well as the propellant pressure decreased as the volume of chemicals in the containers decreased, but the expansion of the sprayed product also decreased. Evidently the proper mixture depends to a degree on the pressure. I couldn't recommend this process for spraying foam to produce insulation.

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Rex! You have GOT to put a warning in the subject line when a story of this humor magnitude is being posted! Do you know what happens when tears of laughter start dripping into a keyboard? It can be dangerous! Funny?!? That HARDLY covers it!

There's something totally British in doing an operation of this sort in the stairwell. No resident of the US could ever think of THAT detail! (We seem to have a number of stories about john boats and small aircraft being built in subterranean basements with tiny windows and no door, leading to tearing half the house down to get the project out.)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Oh dear god....Gunner...laying on floor in hysterics......

"Try thinking of the Libertarian Party as a rolled-up newspaper, useful in making the Republican puppy (I've given up on the Democratic bitch) go where he's supposed to -- not on that beautiful antique carpet we call the Constitution." -- L. Neil Smith, Bill Clinton's Reichstag Fire

Reply to
Gunner

Glad you enjoyed that. I can relate that it is painful to read something like that at work, with the boss prowling outside the door and his daughter facing me from her desk, through a window. I wonder if the resultant hernia would be covered by workers comp?

Reply to
Rex

Although this story sounds a bit suspicious, I enjoyed it.

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine. It's common practice to "pour" a seat for a race car using this foam. One puts a big garbage bag in the space for a seat (open side up), mixes some foam, pours it in to the garbage bag and then sits in the seat with the garbage bag arranged around one's body. The foam expands and fills the space available for the seat, giving one a perfect mold. You then remove the foam from the car, pull the bag off, trim the foam and then use racer's tape to "upholster" the insert.

My friend attempted this procedure but used way too much foam. The foam expanded enough to break through the bag in the area of his crotch and then pour freely into the foot well of his mid sixties sports racer. Apparently reluctant to ruin the insert he continued to sit in the car while the foam cured around his body but also around his shoes and lower legs. It took another friend an hour or so to cut him out and many hours to remove the foam from around the pedals, brake bias linkage, etc... His shoes remained in the foam.

Of course this guy was never the brightest bulb on the tree. He once burned a car to the ground by using a propane heater to dry the interior after leaving the sunroof open in the rain.

Peter

Reply to
pgrey