OT: Green Washing

Awl-

Apropos of the tumblers/washers threads, and previous posts on the win-win-win-win scenario with frontloader washers, I saw a fairly stunning Bosch ad for their front loaders:

They have calc'd, for the 10 million washers that Merkins buy each year (wow!), that using their frontloader would save 900 billion gallons of water over the lifetime of the product (presumably 10-15 yrs), which is enough to supply all of Britain's drinking water for a lifetime!! And proly their bathing water, as I unnerstand Brits don't bathe much. And France's.... But I'm guessing Bosch didn't want to offend anyone, esp. considering certain historical events....

Haven't done the calcs, but I can tell you that a top loader uses 40-80 gals a load (which I know from filling dat muthafucka up manually--but you can check it via a water meter--convert from cu ft to gals by multiplying by

7.5), which is enough to flood some septic systems after just a couple loads. My Miele uses, I think, less than 5 gals for a typical load, altho Miele says 5 or 7 to 12. It seems like much less than 5. I really should measure it.

Ironically, I believe that the real energy savings comes not from the inherent efficiency of the frontloader itself, but on the energy it saves when drying in a dryer. The very high spin rpms result in perhaps in a

75%--or more--reduction in drying time/energy.

Send me your top loaders. I like to take'em apart. Brilliantly designed. (metal/parts content). :)

Reply to
Pre-Meltdown

You could save more water if you stopped drinking Coke. It takes 250 Liters of water to make a single one liter bottle of the stuff. No shit...

Reply to
J. Carroll

Not to mention yer teeth and bones, and diabetes meds. But that's a fascinating stat. Do you have a cite, link, or general explanation?? I thought they just poured water into their chemical soup.

Reply to
Pre-Meltdown

NPR did an hour on water usage that I happen to listen to in the car. You might be surprised at the water usage stats for some very common industrial products.

Another common myth is that refineries haven't been built in the US for 30 years due to the enviro's. That simply isn't true. We haven't been building refineries because there has been a significant refining overcapacity until very recently. That industry has become a model for effeciency in production. They don't waste anything, which has the effect of adding capacity without building new facilities.

Here in California, where we have an absolute ton of refining capacity, they closed a couple dozen or more refining operations dring the 80's and 90's because the costs of improving throughput and efficiency was not supported by demand. These were facilities built in the 1910-1930 period for the most part. Until very recently, refining was truly a shitty bussiness to be in financially speaking. The margins were absolutely cut throat.

Reply to
J. Carroll

"Large computer chip fabrication plants, or "fabs," often use 1 million to 2 million gallons of water a day to clean and rinse silicon wafers. As much as

2,000 gallons of ultrapure water can be used to clean a single eight-inch wafer. These wafers contain more than 100 fingernail-sized microchips that run everything from personal computers and cell phones to traffic lights and coffee makers."
Reply to
PrecisioNmachinisT

They need a better brand of soap.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

So those 250 liters of water are gone for good? Depleted from the planet?

Wow..Ive used Coke to free rusty bolts, to eat tires off their rims...but I didnt know it would destroy water too!

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

They evaporate and then it rains over the ocean. Then it evaporates again and it rains in Spain. But mostly in the plain, where it never reaches the ground.

The evaporated rain then makes new clouds, which hide the sun over solar energy projects. Then it rains -- but right into a nuclear fuel-rod storage pond.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Up your meds.

Reply to
J. Carroll

They had one. It was called Freon TF.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

After the washing..the "utra pure water" is then destroyed?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

An interesting Q. The manufacture of semiconductors, fwiu, is among the chemically most noxious, exceeding that of tanneries, etc. Boucou HF acid for starters.

Where do they physcially make the wafers themselves? Hopefully in Asia.... I think thailand? Man, ahm startin to itch already.

Basically, even w/ solar cell type energy, there's no free lunch. Or the lunch is free, but it's toxic. :)

Reply to
Pre-Meltdown

well, making solar cells is very close to making chips, so the energy cost of that process is quite high also.

chips are made all over the world. in this country, there are large chip fab plants in arizona/texas.

regards, charlie phx, az

Reply to
charlie

And in Albuquerque NM. Realy over the river in Rio Rancho. :-) Intell. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Etc. Etc. Etc. As Yule Brynner (sp?) said in the movies once. :-) ...lew..

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Actually the big energy savings comes from the energy used to heat the water. A btu is 1 degree F per lb of water. 8 lbs of water in a gallon. A kilowatt/hour is 3450 btus, you do the math.

Gary H. Lucas

Reply to
Gary H. Lucas

It's all good, we're in the wastewater business.

Gary H. Lucas

Reply to
Gary H. Lucas

I did not check the calculations, but the last storm here is said to have dumped 8.5 billion gallons on Seattle. If one did the calcs for the whole state, it would be about 900 billion.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Refineries -

During the cold war - 1/3 of all Air Force bombers were in the air at a time. Sometimes more in local area as an exercise or war.

B52's drink gas.

Normal airline dropped off big time when the Government deregulated them and stopped paying their way to fly the mail and reserve themselves for troop transport.

Tons of gas have stopped flowing and the libs cry we run out. Our usage is way way down.

There were two or three refineries in El Paso. A 3 wing B52 base at one time.

Ship traffic - Naval - down. Some converted to Nuke.

Martin

Mart> Pre-Meltdown wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

That is a bunch of bunk. First - yes lots of water but it is recycled over and over. It is cleaner that way.

And 8" wafer - what a laugh!!! Not many house use 8" anymore.

300mm is the standard now. Now that is big. Try picking up a cassette of 50 of those! - you can't. Robots do that work.

San Jose - silicon valley - was home to lots of fabs. There are 2 or 3 fabs in San Jose. One small one for diodes and RF transistors, another one owned and run by Cypress as a valley training center and R&D. Most all fabs are in TWN and South East Asia. India is becoming a giant.

Just wait - we get in a tiff with someone and no more silicon. Micron and TI still have some fab here... Small ones in Texas.

Samsung was putt>> NPR did an hour on water usage that I happen to listen to in the car.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn