OT-Hollywierd Fact or fiction?

That would mean this statement is technically correct then, since Canadian forces and US forces(along with all the other Allied forces) were landing in Normandy on D-Day in 1944. Unless Doohan was with the Axis forces on D-Day, he was with the US Army on D-Day. ;)

Reply to
The Watcher

On Sun, 01 May 2005 08:02:11 GMT, the inscrutable Gunner spake:

A nice, light, (and loud) KelTec P-11. I've wanted something on me when I go out to photograph the backwoods with a couple grand worth of camera equipment.

The guys at the range asked me about the 4" dia. pole sticking up from the back of my pickup bed. I was going to tell them of my little M2

and watch their eyes light up (as they'd ask me to go shooting with them, and BRING THE TRUCK!, I'm sure), I would have laughed and told them the truth: It was the pickup crane mount. Instead, I just told the truth.

I found that my welds didn't hold on that puppy, either. I think I'll do some more practice welding today, then re-weld the bracket.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

| >a wannabe) will at least have some perspective to argue with. | | Found those "WMDs" yet?

I'm still waiting for some reasonable discussion from your direction, but all I keep hearing is the same old thing. As a matter of fact, the _exact_ same old thing. There's no point in using facts and logic with folks like you, so we don't even bother trying to refute your arguments anymore. If you could use your brain instead of letting "journalists" who publish their crap on the web think for you, it might actually be enlightening. I know that when you wake up in the morning you need to decide whether to stay in bed or go piss (well, you could do both, but I'll give you some credit) that is actually free will and independent thought, and the relief from letting the drug residue drain from your body is a direct result of that minute decision, and you still have the option to continue to think for yourself for the rest of the day. Some of us have more experience at it than others, noted merely by the nature of our responses. I'm paraphrasing here, but someone once said "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Reply to
carl mciver

Let's not forget, based on Soviet archives made available to researchers in

1991, McCarthy proved to be WRONG in every case but one (possibly two) about WHO those people were.

He knew something was going on, but he destroyed a lot of lives and careers because he really didn't care who he painted with his brush.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

The 9mm out of that short barrel is not known for being a critter stopped of any note. But if you are comfortable with it..shrug. Lots of online projects for the KelTecs btw

Also known as Ma Deuce. Not real concealable, but in certain situations...invaluable

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner
1) The conservatives have an advantage on the home turf of logic and responsibility. 2) The liberals have an advantage on their home turf of emotion and indulgence.

Actors, who's trade is in emotions, might be more likely to liberal. The exceptions are when testosterone is needed to play the part, like Bruce Willis, Steven Seagal, Tom Selleck, Kurt Russell, etc. Those guys are not going to play the role of a Jewish hairdresser/lawyer from New York. They don't look like liberals. They look like men. Hollywood must make money, and despite the pinko agenda, they must hire real men to play real men.

Reply to
Clark Magnuson

Don't forget SFC Sabu Dastigir, AKA Sabu the Elephant boy from Tarzan movies. SFC Dastigir DFC was a ball turret gunner for a full tour.

BTW, according to an essay in the web page "Tender Tales", Tony Curtis (real name: Bernard Schwartz) served aboard sub tenders although he was qualified to serve on subs.

Russ

-- Russ "Two-fifteen, no ambulance needed!" (G. J. Golden, ECPD) Subtract all nines to reply

Reply to
carlzomer

Well then, if history is any guide to the future, several of the soldiers in the Iraq war will become famous movie actors, no?

Reply to
ff

ff

What are you talking about? McCarthy was damned because he refused to name them. The one he did name was dead on a soviet agent.

Perhaps you're thinking of the House Un-American activities committee, which DID make mistakes.

Now I know you're talking about the HUAC. Senator McCarthy was a senator, not a member of the house.

Reply to
Stuart Grey

This is a myth. McCarthy's committee publicly named 83 individuals because they had invoked the 5th Amendment in private hearings. He specifically accused these people of treason: Howard McMurray, Mary Jane Keeney, John Service, Gustavo Duran, Julian Wadleigh, and Harlow Shapley.

He also gave additional names to the Senate -- 81 of them -- accusing them of communist "involvement." Some had, indeed, been communists during the '30s. Most had nothing to do with communism.

Although McCarthy did try in the early days to keep names private, he loosened his grip on that effort as he came under more political heat. Eventually, he was accusing everyone in sight.

Another kettle of fish...and reptiles, amphibians, and bird-brains.

Nope. The McCarthy committee was a Senate committee.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Like Rock Hudson?

Reply to
Tom Miller

LOL. Good one.

Reply to
Kathy

Polar. WWII was a democrat war. FDR & Truman.

Rick Bowen TSRA Life Member lex talionis.

Reply to
rickb308

Right. The Germans and Japanese had nothing to do with it. If there had been a Republican in office, would he have promised not to fight, and begged the Japanese not to invade California?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

It was Cliffy, as usual.

Rick Bowen TSRA Life Member lex talionis.

Reply to
rickb308

Yeah, we haven't seen one of those for a long while, maybe 60 years or so. Oh, I think I'd count the little wars with the various pieces of the former Yugoslavia. They probably were worth fighting, but it was the Western Europeans who should have been fighting them, not us.

Unless you count the glorious conquest of Granada. . .

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Gets us back to 'square 1' is all.......

Who gives a flying rat's ass about dead Hollywood actor's service records anyways...if anything, this is simply random data presented in a manner meant to support an agenda...

Rightfully, it should be pre-supposed that some that are fighting now might become famous actors on the silver screen...someday.

Still meaningless should it come to pass for those alive some 60 years from now.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Its not all that much fun.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

Ah, you have to get with the new program. There's so much data accessible to every cyber-cowboy with a computer today that stocking up data-ammunition and firing it across the Internet like bullets from a GE Minigun is becoming a substitute for honest debate. Nobody thinks about the words, they just listen to their sound.

Gunner is the prototype. He's actually an experimental bot, which the New Media Owners are trying out to see if they can run these things on the contents of dumpsters instead of electricity.

Yes, like Clark said, there's a niche in the movies for experienced killers. Authenticity is big right now.

Probably.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress