English engine awards

On the ATIS list a few Americans have imported British engines. The attached has just been posted by a USA collector. As Richard Bamford is not as well as he was I thought to ask here for a reply!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Bamford is proud of the silver medal they won. I've got a couple questions on the medal they won. Was the silver medal the highest award? In today's ranking of medals, a gold medal would be first place and a silver is second place. So was Bamford proud of a second place finish (in which case I wonder who won the gold) or at that time was the silver medal the highest honor?

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

AFAIK the silver medal was the highest award at some shows and gold at others. I'm sure Bamford wouldnot have boasted about a second placing on their crankguards!

Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton