OT-Hollywierd Fact or fiction?

Posted with no comment

"In contrast to the ideals, opinions and feelings of today's "Hollywonk" the real actors of yester-year loved the United States.

They had class and integrity as well as brains and talent. With the advent of World War II many of our actors went to fight rather than stand and rant against this country we all love.

They gave up their wealth, position and fame to become service men & women, many as simple "enlisted men".

So, while the "Entertainers" of 2003 & 2004 have been in all of the news media lately I would like to remind the people of what the entertainers of 1943 were doing, (60 years ago).

Most of these brave men have since passed away.

REAL HOLLYWOOD HEROES:

Alec Guinness (Star Wars) operated a British Royal Navy landing craft on D-Day.

James Doohan ("Scotty" on Star Trek) landed in Normandy with the U. S. Army on D-Day.

Donald Pleasance (The Great Escape) really was an R. A. F. pilot who was shot down, held prisoner and tortured by the Germans.

David Niven was a Sandhurst graduate and Lt. Colonel of the British Commandos in Normandy.

James Stewart Entered the Army Air Force as a private and worked his way to the rank of Colonel. During World War II, Stewart served as a bomber pilot, his service record crediting him with leading more than 20 missions over Germany, and taking part in hundreds of air strikes during his tour of duty. Stewart earned the Air Medal, the Distinguished Flying Cross, France's Croix de Guerre, and 7 Battle Stars during World War II.

In peace time, Stewart continued to be an active member of the Air Force as a reservist, reaching the rank of Brigadier General before retiring in the late 1950s.

Clark Gable (Mega-Movie Star when war broke out) Although he was beyond the draft age at the time the U.S. entered WW II, Clark Gable enlisted as a private in the AAF on Aug. 12, 1942 at Los Angeles. He attended the Officers' Candidate School at Miami Beach, Fla. and graduated as a second lieutenant on Oct. 28, 1942.

He then attended aerial gunnery school and in Feb. 1943 he was assigned to the 351st Bomb Group at Polebrook where flew operational missions over Europe in B-17s.

Capt. Gable returned to the U.S. in Oct. 1943 and was relieved from active duty as a major on Jun. 12, 1944 at his own request, since he was over-age for combat.

Charlton Heston was an Army Air Corps Sergeant in Kodiak.

Earnest Borgnine was a U. S. Navy Gunners Mate 1935-1945.

Charles Durning was a U. S. Army Ranger at Normandy earning a Silver Star and awarded the Purple Heart.

Charles Bronson was a tail gunner in the Army Air Corps, more specifically on B-29s in the 20th Air Force out of Guam, Tinian, and Saipan

George C. Scott was a decorated U. S. Marine.

Eddie Albert (Green Acres TV) was awarded a Bronze Star for his heroic action as a U. S. Naval officer aiding Marines at the horrific battle on the island of Tarawa in the Pacific Nov. 1943.

Brian Keith served as a U.S. Marine rear gunner in several actions against the Japanese on Rabal in the Pacific.

Lee Marvin was a U.S. Marine on Saipan during the Marianas campaign when he was wounded earning the Purple Heart.

John Russell: In 1942, he enlisted in the Marine Corps where he received a battlefield commission and was wounded and highly decorated for valor at Guadalcanal.

Robert Ryan was a U. S. Marine who served with the O. S. S. in Yugoslavia.

Tyrone Power (an established movie star when Pearl Harbor was bombed) joined the U.S. Marines, was a pilot flying supplies into, and wounded Marines out of, Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

Audie Murphy, little 5'5" tall 110 pound guy from Texas who played cowboy parts?

Most Decorated serviceman of WWII and earned: Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, 2 Silver Star Medals, Legion of Merit, 2 Bronze Star Medals with "V", 2 Purple Hearts, U.S. Army Outstanding Civilian Service Medal, Good Conduct Medal, 2 Distinguished Unit Emblems, American Campaign Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with One Silver Star, Four Bronze Service Stars (representing nine campaigns) and one Bronze Arrowhead (representing assault landing at Sicily and Southern France) World War II Victory Medal Army of Occupation Medal with Germany Clasp, Armed Forces Reserve Medal, Combat Infantry Badge, Marksman Badge with Rifle Bar, Expert Badge with Bayonet Bar, French Fourragere in Colors of the Croix de Guerre, French Legion of Honor, Grade of Chevalier, French Croix de Guerre With Silver Star, French Croix de Guerre with Palm, Medal of

Liberated France, Belgian Croix de Guerre 1940 Palm.

So how do you feel the real heroes of the silver screen acted when compared to the Hollypansies today who spray out anti-American drivel as they bite the hand that feeds them? Can you imagine these stars of yester-year saying they hate our flag, making anti-war speeches, marching in anti-American parades and saying they hate our president?

I thought not, neither did I!

If you enjoyed the story send it on.

Believe it or not, they were all registered republicans. " "At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

The original author forgot one: Richard Todd (The Dam Busters, The Longest Day).

We all remember the scenes in The Longest Day where Richard Todd portrayed British Glider Troop Major Howard with orders to "Hold until relieved" at the Orde River Bridge.

LT. Richard Todd was the Commando officer who actually relieved Maj. Howard (whom he portrayed in the film) on 6/6/44.

Reply to
RAM^3

Naw, they were a bunch of Communists!!

Didn't you hear?

Reply to
EskWIRED

Look it all up d*****ad. Oh, sorry, I forgot that would require you to have a synapse of some kind.

You've been shot in the arm?

Reply to
Roedy's Master

Reply to
Roedy's Master

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 18:12:32 +0000 (UTC), the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@spamblock.panix.com spake:

I'm surprised that the heroine, Jane Fonda, wasn't mentioned.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No, I didnt. According to the data..the ones mentioned were Republicans (not counting the Brits) However, it is well documented that there were many many actual active Communists in Hollywood. But I rather doubt any of them were landing on beaches etc. They tend to want to save their own skins......

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

Reply to
carl mciver

You got one thing wrong. Doohan was a Canadian and served in the CANADIAN forces on D day. The Americans were NOT the only forces there at the time, despite what Hollywood would have you believe.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Miller

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 22:43:47 GMT, the inscrutable Gunner spake:

--snip--

Sure, why not? Wherever there's money to be spread around, there they are. Kinda like politicians on both sides of the aisle, wot?

Sure they'll be landing on beaches. In Santa Monica, Newport, and Laguna, and (most importantly) Malibu, right? ;)

To get it back to a metal content, I'm now licensed to pack it. Took the NRA course the 15th, got the paperwork, got it filled out and was printed on the 18th, and my license came in the mail today,

2 weeks earlier than promised. AFAIK, they didn't even check my references. That surprised me.

---------------------------------------------------------------- "Let's sing praise to Aphrodite ||

She may seem a little flighty, || Full Service Websites but she wears a green gauze nighty, || PHP Applications And she's good enough for me." || SQL Database Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

In fact, the top four names on that list consists of three Brits and a Canadian.

Not to take anything away from the ones listed below, but what do those four have to do with American actors in Hollywood?

(Also, FWIW, Alec Guinness did NOT operate a British Royal Navy landing craft on D-Day, unless it was in Sicily. )

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

In OT-Hollywierd Fact or fiction? on Sat, 30 Apr 2005 09:22:48 GMT, by Gunner, we read:

Other Notables:

Jack Palance Robert Mitchum Roy Rogers Dean Martin

I find it fascinating to watch war films made after WWII featuring war veteran actors who actually experienced many of the scenarios depicted.

Reply to
Strabo

I decided to spot check the first three of these citation to see if they are on the up and up, and indeed they appear to be so: Comments and references are inserted below.

John

I found plenty of references to Guinness joining up with the Royal Navy in WWII, but couldn't find anything about his activities on D-day, which does not mean that the original post was wrong, but simply that I couldn't find more details in 10 minutes of googling.

See for example:

Almost right. Doohan was a Canadian and served in the Canadian military were he rose to the rank of Captain.

See:

Looks exactly correct, see:

So, to those who claim that the list is a bunch of lies .... I think not!

John

Reply to
John Horner

Hmmm, I just checked the first three references and they seem to be materially correct.

John

Reply to
John Horner

An excellent idea, especially given the transgressions of this source in the past. d8-)

He was not in Normandy on D-Day. His boat commands were in Sicily. He was also involved in supplying Yugoslav partisans. It's in his biography, through a paid service that I have access to through my work.

I must have missed the people claiming it was a bunch of lies. What it is, is a bunch of Brits and a Canadian represented as the old Hollywood, during WWII. At least regarding the first four, we can say that foreign actors were convinced that WWII was a war worth fighting. So was almost everyone else in the Allied countries.

The premise of the essay, if it's worthy of that name, is that today's Hollywood actors are somehow less principled. That may be, but WWII versus the wars of today is not much of a litmus test. When the US, the UK, and the Commonwealth countries were under attack, a large percentage of men in those countries enlisted and served, actors or not. When we're not under attack and we go to war anyway, it's a bit harder to meet recruitment quotas...actors or not.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Strabo,

You did get one right. Jack Palance was a bomber pilot in WWII and suffered burns in a crash that gave him his famous gaunt looks.

However:

Robert Mitchum was drafted in 1945 after spending most of the war acting movies and theater. He spent only 8 months in the military, mostly promoting a war movie he made.

Roy Rogers never served. He spent the war years making singing cowboy movies, filling a vacancy left by western actor Gene Autry who did join up.

Dean Martin was excused from serving due to a hernia.

Just the facts, man, just the facts.

Fred

Reply to
ff

Cliffy has never let facts stand in the way of his inflexible spoonfed opinion.

For an exhaustive review of the article, see:

I'd makeashorterlink of it but my clipboard isn't working. If the hand-typed link doesn't work, just Google Groups search alt.folklore.urban for a post that includes all the words: niven doohan guiness murphy

TK

Reply to
TDKozan

Bravo!!!

Whatcha carrying?

Feel free to email, if it bothers you to post here.

Gunner, normally with an AMT .45 DAO somewhere about his person. Though there may be a custom Series 70 .45 tucked away, depending on location, season and risk factors. Or a 57 S&W, or....

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

In Re: OT-Hollywierd Fact or fiction? on Sun, 01 May 2005

06:58:21 GMT, by ff, we read:

Then that's two. Service: U.S. Army (WWII, PFC, 1945 Apr-Oct)

I couldn't find anything on Google confirming Rogers or Martin though I read that they served.

To make up for my deficiency I found others (confirmed).

Gene Autry - Sgt. Autry was in the U.S. Army Air Force, flying supplies in the China-India-Burma theater of war, and served for

4+ years.

James Arness (Marshal Matt Dillon of Gunsmoke and brother of Peter Graves, the "Mission Impossible" guy) was involved in the landings at Anzio and was wounded there.

Richard Boone served as a tail gunner in Navy Torpedo planes and saw action during W.W.II.

Trevor Howard served in the British Airborne Division and saw action in W.W.II. He was medically discharged after he received the Military Cross for Valour in the field.

Mel Brooks (Yes, Mel Brooks) was in the Combat Engineers and saw action in the Ardennes in the "Battle of the Bulge" He deactivated mines and helped to clear mine fields. He used to answer German propaganda that was broadcast at regular intervals with a oudspeaker shouting "Toot Toot Tootsie goodbye!" I guess Mel Brooks was Mel Brooks even back then.

Neville Brand fought in the European theatre of operations in W.W.II from December 16th 1944 onwards, he fought in the Ardennes aka "The Battle Of the Bulge," also in the Rhineland and Central Europe. He received the Silver Star for Gallantry while in hospital for his actions in combat. Also he was awarded the Purple Heart, The Good Conduct Medal, the American defense Ribbon, the European/African/Middle Eastern Theatre Ribbon with three Battle Stars, one Overseas Service Bar, one Service Stripe, and the Combat Infantryman's Badge.

Richard Attenborough served for 3 years in the RAF during W.W.II.

Gene Audrey was a pilot in the USAAF.

Pat Brady, Roy Rogers partner, was awarded 2 purple Hearts while in combat in France.

Raymond Burr served in the US navy.

Robery Clary who played ' Lebeau' in Hogan's Heroes spent 3 years in a concentration camp and still had the tattoo on his arm.

Jackie Coogan was a glider pilot and served in the Pacific.

Tony Curtis served in Submarines aboard the USS Dragonette.

George Kennedy served under General Patton.

Walter Mathau was a gunner and radio operator over the skies of Europe and he was awarded 6 battle stars.

Rod Steiger Joined the US Navy and fought in the Pacific Fleet in W.W.II. Information is a little sketchy about his exploits except to say that he was a torpedo operator and that he fought in the Battle of Midway.

Reply to
Strabo

He was also a survivor of the Bataan Death March.

(snip)

Reply to
The Watcher