Neuromancer: Suits made of mimetic polycarbonat - just a fiction?

Hi,

I have read the science-fiction novel Neuromancer from William Gibson.

In this novel there is a group of people, who wear suits made of mimetic polycarbonat. These suits are used for cloaking by changing colour / absorbing light.

Are such suits just a fiction?

Can anybody give me a hint where I can find information about colour changing materials for clothing?

Thanks in advance.

Jörg Reimers

Reply to
Jörg Reimers

Hi, Jörg, Thermochromic inks have been around for some time, certainly since the late eighties. They are used for printing on fabrics, so that a pattern appears where the fabric touches the body, or changes colour in the same way. Try searching for either "thermochromic ink" or "thermochromic fabric", with Google. You will find links to a number of books.

A company > I have read the science-fiction novel Neuromancer from William Gibson. >

Reply to
Bill

Check out the National Geographic--I think within the last year or so, they did an article on clothing that would take on the coloration of the background and possible use by the military. The front cover may have said something about fabricsas the article covered fabrics in general. I know it was the Geographic and not all that long ago.

Reply to
Fobg2000

Buy a suit from Burtons and attach a lot of live chameleons ! This will provide you with a equivalent to a Romulan clocking device ! Don't know what you are going to put on your head though ;)

Reply to
Tone