Triming or deleting a hatched area within a hatched area, after the fact

Dear all,
How do I trimall with one or two clicks inside a polygon drawn within a hatched area in AutoCAD 2000. Case in point, On my front elevation
of a house I decided to dress it up and add shutters. So I want to draw an appropriate rectangle and delete or trim-all with one or two clicks within that space before inserting the block of the shutter. ( This reminds me of the fence command in MicrostationJ but I'm not sure it works the same way)
Any thoughts please are greatly appreaciated.
Kevin snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com
Are you trying to trim the hatch? I think the only way to do that is to explode the hatch first, then you can trim.
Start your trim command (you can press Enter a second time so that you don't have to select a cutting line) and type in F for fence and hit Enter. You can then draw a fence line and it will (most of the time) trim all the lines it crosses.
Relz

don't
lines
But in most cases you'd be better off rehatching the area after the shutters are in. Exploding hatch and trimming would work but makes future changes much harder.
Michael (LS)

shutters
Yes, I agree. Re-hatching is definitely the better way to go. (Where is my mind!)
Relz