OT: How do I retrieve archived e-mail?

My XP system asks me at intervals if I want to archive old e-mails. I finally said yes, and now I've lost a lot of my inbox. I've looked through the help files, and loaded the "import" functions from the MS Office disc, but I still can't seem to figure out how to retrieve my older e-mail. The import function does not seem to allow the right file type. Any of you gurus know how to do this? Thanks.

-- Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

I don't know XP but did it ask for a filename when you did the archive? If so, go find that file and see what is in it. Otherwise, the microcrud website may provide some info if the Help program on the computer doesn't.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

I'm using Windows XP but Outlook 2000 so it may be different. Here's what you would need to do for mine:

Click on Tools and then Options on the menu of Outlook. Select the "Other" tab. There should be an AutoArchive button. There is a checkbox there to tell it whether to auto archive and below it there is a window showing where your archive file is with a Browse button beside it. Mine are stored into the following file:

C:\Documents and Settings\kmars\My Documents\Archives\outlook_old.pst

Now that you know where the messages are stored they're easy to access. Close the AutoArchive and Options dialogs by clicking on cancel and the go to the Folders window in Outlook. Right click on the main folder. Mine is Outlook Today [Personal Folders]. On the popup menu select Open Personal Folders File (.pst)...

Now use the Open File dialog that pops up to open the file that you found above.

After this you'll have two main folders in the Folder List window and you can open messages in the folders of either main folder and you can drag and drop them between the two. After you're through just right click on the archive main folder and select Close "your archive folder".

Be careful after you do this though because if you've dropped any files into any of the archive folders the archive folders will now be in the "recent" Move To list and if you select Move To and send a message to one of those folders it will go directly into the archives file and you won't find it where you expect it to be. In other words whenever files are archived they are put into a duplicate folder in the archives file so the InBox you see listed in the Move To list may be the archive InBox instead of your realy InBox. I hope that makes sense. It's easy to demonstrate but tough to explain. :-)

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Keith,

Thanks for the tip. I found my archive file (not where yours was, but at least I found it) and used the "right click on the top folder" method of opening it. I still haven't found where it tells you to do that in the help files. Don't you just love Windows? Oh for a help file with a decent index.

-- Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

index. Keith,

Reply to