OT-How to set up my first web site?

Ah, I understand the principle now: Post to any non-related group you want and mark the subject with the group where the question belongs to. Clever! Sorry that I didn't understand this, I thought that the group's name cares for that.

Pure egoism. I subscribe to the groups I want to discuss (umm, judging from the group's name). I do NOT intend to get _all_ groups and have a positive filter for metal-content. Might be me who got the principle (of groups) wrong. But chances are __very__ low.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Just go to my web site, there are ads and/or pop-ups advertising free web site space up to a certain limit, far more than I use. Cut off the back part of my web URL to get to Geocities home or what you need.

Reply to
Nick Hull

You seem to have ignored my entire main point about asking a known group of friends. I wonder why you snipped that whole part out.

Yes, filters definately improve signal:noise ratio, I suggest you try them. Here, I'll show you how it sounds:

Buybye Nick. See how easy that is? Now I don't have to see you going on and on about something I don't want to read. I identified a header text element (in this case your name, just like you could use OT in the subject line you see), and told my newsreader to mark those as read so they never show up in my listing. Rumor has it that you can even block specific threads if they wander off topic but of course, again, dispensing advice along these lines is horrifically off-topic for the froup.

Technology is wonderful.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Because this isn't a bar or pub, it is a discussion group with a subject. Got that?

No, filters just filter, they don't prevent that POS being spread all over. You are ruining this group, but you will show that it is your intention ...

There's no better way to prove your ignorance. Anyhow, regarding your 99% of OT-postings, you ain't a big loss.

Stupidity is unlimited.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 14:09:28 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Eric R Snow quickly quoth:

As others have said, keep it simple. Grab a copy of Netscape 7 (free) and use the built-in editor. I hand-code sites using NoteTab Pro, but I've been doing 'em for 11 years now.

Check with your host for your Internet access. Most give free websites away with the account so you may already have one and don't know it. (I have a 5MB site space with Starband but don't use it.)

About 7 years ago, I found Jennifer Niederst's book and wish I'd seen it 11 years ago instead. It covered EVERYTHING I'd learned in the first 4 years of learning web design. She has a newer copy out now called _Web Design In A Nutshell, Edition 3_ and she's now called Jennifer Niederst Robbins. My, my! It is the very best book on web design that I've seen in over a decade. O'Reilly pubs, $22 @ Amazon.

Call me if you want to talk about it, Eric. I could do up a quick template for you to fill in later if you like. Just don't call me today. It's me birfday and my gf is coming over. I'll be busy getting a full body massage+. ;) See my website for the number.

--- - Friends don't let friends use FrontPage -

Dynamic Website Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques