OT: Important health warning!

Dozens, I expect. How many Usenet articles have you completely misinterpreted?

Reply to
Richard Heathfield

Six times, altogether. (That whole 1976 fiasco doesn't count, obviously.) How many times have you managed to turn a light-hearted remark into a mud-wrestling match?

Reply to
Richard Heathfield

Sad part is dumb people believe it. Paris Hilton said she did not worry about swine flu as she did not eat pork. True story.

Reply to
Bill McKee

Oh, I thought that one was for women, some kind of anaerobic infection that caused mastitis and vaginitis.

Reply to
John Husvar

AArghhh!!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Then there is the British habit of eating Spotted Dick....

What have the Brits come to? Sigh..no wonder some of my ancestors fled that country....

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

None. I've never mud wrestled, and I certainly won't do it with any man. Apparently you've never been so sick that you could barely stand, and had to walk five miles to get groceries. A normal 15 minute walk took three hours, each way. I had spent five full days unconscious with a bad case of the flu and had lost over 20 pounds in five days. laugh all you want, and continue to think you're smart but you have no clue.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Actually, I have. But I'm bright enough not to do Usenet under such conditions.

Once, in my early twenties, I had to survive for three weeks on 80 teabags and a bag of sugar because I couldn't /afford/ to buy any groceries. If you're looking for symps, well, you've got them, but you make it difficult.

Next time, try walking in a straight line. Euclid and all that.

Last time I checked, unconsciousness is not a flu symptom.

At the supermarket I can lose that much in twenty minutes.

I don't know what you think I'm laughing at, but it certainly isn't you. You are not even remotely funny.

Reply to
Richard Heathfield

Don't worry the Florida government will prevent anyone with a profit motive from bringing food, ice, generators, flashlights, batteries or any other items you would be in need off. It's Price gouging!

Let's say I'm in Northern Alabama, I run to my local generator dealer and load 10 $600 generators in the truck and go to Florida, I sell them to people for $900. The buyers are happy until the state tells them they got gouged. They complain now I'm liable for $1000 fine per generator. Forget it! Most of them are transplanted yankees anyway. I'm from the government and I'm here to help you. (NOT) Mike PS. (a transplanted yankee)

Reply to
amdx

my impression of Ms Hilton is that she has a public persona - a stupid blond chick that show a lot of flesh from time to time - but that she is really pretty smart, and knows exactly what she is doing - I would not be surprised to discover that she thought carefully about what to say about swine flu that would be sufficiently "blond" to feed her public - think of it this way, if she was actually stupid, she wouldn't make (and keep) all the money she is making - it's not just Conrad's fortune any more.

Reply to
Bill Noble

It was wore than that. The cheap $300 Chinese crap that run about two weeks before it's output dies, or the engine seizes were sold for $1,200 to $2,000 around here. FEMA did deliver ice & bottle water by the tractor trailer load. They also brought in loads of MREs, and the Red Cross brought in some hot meals but those do no good until you can leave your home or neighborhood. We had huge trees down and laying across the only road out of here. The county told us were were low priority, and it would be two or three weeks before they got to us. So, a bunch of senior citizens and disabled were out there in the rain with chain saws cutting our way out of here. There were piles of wood along most of the road by the time we finished. Then FEMA contractors finally showed up to haul it off. The lazy bastards would drop the bucket on their front end loader on a pile and drag it down the street, to their dump truck. In the process they destroyed most of the asphalt on owner maintained streets. Then we found out that they weren't 'responsible'.

If the people selling things sold it at their regular price, then itemized the additional delivery costs it would have been another story. Also, none of them had a tax number so the state didn't get their 6.5%. Some of the 'dealers' brought opened boxes with defective merchandise, then hightailed it out of the area before people could find gasoline to find out they were defective. It didn't take them long to get rid of a dozen or two in a half hour.

Some gas stations tripled the price of their remaining inventory, and pumped until the tanks were dry. A lot of cars and generators were damaged by contaminated fuel.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm a believer in the free market. Don't want a $2,000 generator? That's fine. Just don't buy it. But, price caps prevent people from moving to fill the demand.

I do believe in honesty in sales -- if it's a defective reject, it should be accurately described and labelled.

Same with gasoline. Don't like $6 a galon? Buy some where else.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You seem to have a limited and constrained idea of how libertarianism really works in practice. In real life, the guy trying to sell the $600 generator for $2,000 would be given a choice: either sell the $600 generator for $650, allowing for his trouble, or give it away for nothing to keep the third shot, after his two front tires are shot out, from being accidently located in his chest.

That's the real spirit of it. That's what arming oneself against tyranny is all about. We see things like that threatened here every day from the hard-core libertarians. The ones with the guns get to decide who's being a tyrant, after all.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

are you claiming you can _walk_ 5 miles in

15 minutes ?
Reply to
goarilla

Indeed. I agree.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Sat, 24 Oct 2009 03:51:51 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

The States. Southern Africa, (but the descendents are leaving there again.)

We didn't so much 'flee' as 'seek new opportunities" to set things up Right. For God and The King! (even if the King is mendacious in his assurances of retributive justice.)

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

No, I meant to say 15 minutes each way. Rarely did I have to walk the whole way, so the average was 15 minutes per direction. That day it was well below zero, and very few cars were on the road.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Great overpay for all the crap you want. Why should people who don't know any better get ripped off?

Where else would that be? There were only a couple stations in the area with any gasoline and electicity for their pumps, and it was over $10 a gallon for their dregs. So much for your 'religion'.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

We have to do the same. Keep generators and gasoline food and supplies and ammo for the guns. A big storm might fell trees on thousands of sections of power line.

The last three hurricanes (lived through that many Typhoons as well) were interesting. Rita and IKE that last two were the worst. Ike ripped trees left and right here - bursting trees 24" in diameter twisted and snapped the trunks high in the air. I lost a lot of good tree. Now a lot of it is rotting - since there is to much to get and it would just rot in the stack. I save and use what I can.

Wish I had a bandsaw saw mill. That would be nice.

Mart> Richard Heathfield wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Can we please get this thread back onto the topic of Obama, please?

Phil

Reply to
Phil Carmody