OT: Important health warning!

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 07:45:31 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

are you claiming you can _walk_ 5 miles in 15 minutes ?
goarilla wrote:

No, I meant to say 15 minutes each way. Rarely did I have to walk the whole way, so the average was 15 minutes per direction. That day it was well below zero, and very few cars were on the road.

Can we please get this thread back onto the topic of Obama, please?
Phil
--
Any true emperor never needs to wear clothes. -- Devany on r.a.s.f1

Hallo, Phil,
Du meintest am 25.10.09:

And can you please continue this thread only in "on topic" newsgroups? Thank you!
(ok - maybe there is no fitting newsgroup. But then it's the best solution not to continue the thread)
Viele Gruesse Helmut
On 25 Oct 2009 13:12:00 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@hullen.de (Helmut Hullen) wrote:

Hear Here! There, there!
http://www.republicans.waysandmeans.house.gov/News/DocumentPrint.aspx?DocumentID 0826
Aparently, 49 of 50 states have lost jobs since the pork spending bill was signed.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Don't worry the Florida government will prevent anyone with a profit motive from bringing food, ice, generators, flashlights, batteries or any other items you would be in need off. It's Price gouging! http://www.800helpfla.com/price_gouging.html Let's say I'm in Northern Alabama, I run to my local generator dealer and load 10 $600 generators in the truck and go to Florida, I sell them to people for $900. The buyers are happy until the state tells them they got gouged. They complain now I'm liable for $1000 fine per generator. Forget it! Most of them are transplanted yankees anyway. I'm from the government and I'm here to help you. (NOT) Mike PS. (a transplanted yankee)
amdx wrote:

It was wore than that. The cheap $300 Chinese crap that run about two weeks before it's output dies, or the engine seizes were sold for $1,200 to $2,000 around here. FEMA did deliver ice & bottle water by the tractor trailer load. They also brought in loads of MREs, and the Red Cross brought in some hot meals but those do no good until you can leave your home or neighborhood. We had huge trees down and laying across the only road out of here. The county told us were were low priority, and it would be two or three weeks before they got to us. So, a bunch of senior citizens and disabled were out there in the rain with chain saws cutting our way out of here. There were piles of wood along most of the road by the time we finished. Then FEMA contractors finally showed up to haul it off. The lazy bastards would drop the bucket on their front end loader on a pile and drag it down the street, to their dump truck. In the process they destroyed most of the asphalt on owner maintained streets. Then we found out that they weren't 'responsible'.
If the people selling things sold it at their regular price, then itemized the additional delivery costs it would have been another story. Also, none of them had a tax number so the state didn't get their 6.5%. Some of the 'dealers' brought opened boxes with defective merchandise, then hightailed it out of the area before people could find gasoline to find out they were defective. It didn't take them long to get rid of a dozen or two in a half hour.
Some gas stations tripled the price of their remaining inventory, and pumped until the tanks were dry. A lot of cars and generators were damaged by contaminated fuel.

I'm a believer in the free market. Don't want a $2,000 generator? That's fine. Just don't buy it. But, price caps prevent people from moving to fill the demand.
I do believe in honesty in sales -- if it's a defective reject, it should be accurately described and labelled.
Same with gasoline. Don't like $6 a galon? Buy some where else.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You seem to have a limited and constrained idea of how libertarianism really works in practice. In real life, the guy trying to sell the $600 generator for $2,000 would be given a choice: either sell the $600 generator for $650, allowing for his trouble, or give it away for nothing to keep the third shot, after his two front tires are shot out, from being accidently located in his chest.
That's the real spirit of it. That's what arming oneself against tyranny is all about. We see things like that threatened here every day from the hard-core libertarians. The ones with the guns get to decide who's being a tyrant, after all.
--
Ed Huntress

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Great overpay for all the crap you want. Why should people who don't know any better get ripped off?

Where else would that be? There were only a couple stations in the area with any gasoline and electicity for their pumps, and it was over $10 a gallon for their dregs. So much for your 'religion'.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Great overpay for all the crap you want. Why should people who don't know any better get ripped off?
CY: The government is not responsible for education, even if they think they are.

Where else would that be? There were only a couple stations in the area with any gasoline and electicity for their pumps, and it was over $10 a gallon for their dregs. So much for your 'religion'.
CY: And, if people could sell for a fair market price, they could afford to put in a backup generator, and sell after the storm. So much for your price fixing, which prevents people from meeting the demand. Thanks for proving my point.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

The only point proved is that you are a classic carpet bagger.

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 20:37:56 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Because that's the only way to teach them to know better than to get ripped off! Duh!
It's called, "Tuition in the School of Hard Knocks."
Cheers! Rich
We have to do the same. Keep generators and gasoline food and supplies and ammo for the guns. A big storm might fell trees on thousands of sections of power line.
The last three hurricanes (lived through that many Typhoons as well) were interesting. Rita and IKE that last two were the worst. Ike ripped trees left and right here - bursting trees 24" in diameter twisted and snapped the trunks high in the air. I lost a lot of good tree. Now a lot of it is rotting - since there is to much to get and it would just rot in the stack. I save and use what I can.
Wish I had a bandsaw saw mill. That would be nice.
Martin
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 12:37:17 -0700, mpm wrote:

I grew up in Minnesota, and my Dad grew up in Austin, MN and worked at Hormel many years ago. Ergo, we used to have fried Spam for breakfast.
So, I like it. It's convenient, nutritious, affordable, and tasty - what more could you want? :-)
Monty Python seems to not like it, but then again, the Brits eat kidney pie. ("you have to soak them to get the ... pee ... taste out of them." - actual quote; we once had a Brit couple next door who were the spittin' image of Andy and Flo Capp.)
Cheers! Rich
<snip>

I think that's a bit strong. It's just a sketch.

Not this one, pal. If it's all the same to you, I'll stick to chocolate fudge cheesecake, straight from the fridge.
<snip>
--
Richard Heathfield <http://www.cpax.org.uk
Email: -http://www. +rjh@

Then there is the British habit of eating Spotted Dick....
What have the Brits come to? Sigh..no wonder some of my ancestors fled that country....
Gunner
"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
or about Sat, 24 Oct 2009 03:51:51 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    The States. Southern Africa, (but the descendents are leaving there again.)

    We didn't so much 'flee' as 'seek new opportunities" to set things up Right. For God and The King! (even if the King is mendacious in his assurances of retributive justice.)
pyotr

Spam <
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

Cheers