OT internet site blocked

=========== you can down load an antivirus for free from microsoft if you are running:

Operating System: Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)*; Windows Vista (Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2)*; Windows 7*

For Windows XP, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 500 MHz or higher, and 256 MB RAM or higher. For Windows Vista and Windows 7, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher, and 1 GB RAM or higher. VGA display of 800 × 600 or higher. 200 MB of available hard disk space. An Internet connection is required for installation and to download the latest virus and spyware definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials. Internet Browser:

details

Seems to work fine for me and picked up 3 infections I didn't know I had with a paid commercial program.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Use Revo Uninstaller to remove AVG, or there will still be thousands of entries in the registry. There are four levels it can operate at. You want the one at the bottom of the list. You run Revo, and wait for it to load a list of all programs. Then right click on AVG and select uninstall, and follow the instructions.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm able to get there and I run AVG...

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Thanks everybody for all the help. All is well in my little computer world.

Don't know why, but i really dread computer problems. Mostly because I often fark it up worse flailing around.

Thanks again

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl, I use XP, Firefox, and AVG and I just went to centerfiresystems.com and had no problems. Check your settings in AVG.

Reply to
Bob Millerremove.us

So what was the problem and what was the fix? I know the result of the problem but not what caused it ion the first place. Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

I first found it worked with a proxy server, proving it was a problem on this end. Went though a very long list of items and accidently stumbed over turning AVG off fixed it. So I now have a new microsoft virus software running.

For me, working on puter problems is stumbling around in the dark. just glad its over.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Thanks Karl. I've had trouble with AVG on one of my machines too. I may need to reinstall it. It is supposed to scan at midnight but instead waits until I start to use the computer, even though the computer is always on. And when it scans it really slows the machine up. GRRR. Eric

Reply to
etpm

I've removed AVG from over a dozen computers in the last couple months. It wouldn't update without uninstalling it, and reinstalling, then doing it again a few days later for the next update.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Delete AVG and then reinstall the latest version.

I run AVG and I have no problems getting to centerfire

Gunner

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire

Reply to
Gunner

Thanks!! Works a treat cleaning up some bits and pieces I downloaded and could never quite get free of!

Many thanks!!!

Gunner

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire

Reply to
Gunner

You're welcome. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been using Advanced System Care 5 for removing tidbits from my registry files. Any more reviews on that prog, guys? Freeware or Pro, which is $13 on sale. Annual update.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've used Revo (free) for about two years, and it's been a great reapir & maintenence tool. It has saved me from reinstalling the OS on a lot of computers. I've never tried Advanced System Care 5.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

FWIW, the free version did not see my AVG. I had to download the 30 day trial of the paid version.

But I'm sure if I had just used windoze uninstall a ton crap would have been left behind Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Definately. AVG adds over a thousand registry entries, and doesn't unistall them all. AOL was worse. Especially on computers with a lot of versions installed.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm running AVG on this PC and I had no issue visiting that site.

Reply to
Bob La Londe