OT Its getting bloody awful!

Very slick. However, at 5' 9", I think I'm better off with the device on my side of the panel, so I don't have to reach over it. Either that, or I need stilts to go with it. I use the device I described on the side of the panel that I'm facing, and use my other hand to stabilize the top of the panel.

Yes. If you're working on construction jobs or re-doing the walls in your whole house, I can see it. As it is, I can make one of those scrap-wood thingies in ten minutes, so I don't even keep them around from year to year.

Yeah, old copies are worth their weight in gold for things like that.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

(...)

OW! Wad I do to you, Larry?

Um. Sorry.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

I didn't think of that.

Plus, tools tend to 'wander' on construction jobs.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

The wheels on the Troll appear to be ~5" diameter.

I like.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 19:42:59 -0800, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Nuttin', Winsome. You asked for political insults. Surely, _that_ was one, was it not?

-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You aim to please? :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Wow - that was a mental exercise there - (the latter) - I knew what you were talking about, but had to actually "think" while I was reading it - (an arduous task I prefer to avoid). You are fortunate that you are able to do these things in your own shop,... But thanks - a good exercise in finding, testing, planning a job. Logical thinking - you probably do it automatically after all these years.

AND - as for "losing" the 3 jaw chuck - Sorry Wes, it aint going to get any better. Same here, hate it. The worst is when the phone rings while you are holding something - you put it down automatically to answer the phone, and then it vanishes, sometimes for ever......

My current job - not nearly as grand. Cut sheet of 3mm aluminium, used a flycutter to cut 2 holes, the same exhaust diameter of 2 hard rubbish PC power supplies. This was then mounted, recessed, into the original vent outlet plate on the caravan refrigerator. And a bastard of a job that was - the plastic was brittle, in the end the only thing that could touch it was the Dremel with mini-cutoff wheels - still finding bits of them everywhere.. The thermo syphon fridge does like hot weather, it cant get the heat out of the back, so the fans should help. Also welded up a frame to hold a portable mast for when I go bush amateur radio - its hanging on the clothes line, the first coat of paint drying.

So. My commiserations on finding the lost chuck, and thanks for a nice metalwork story.

Andrew VK3BFA

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 20:14:58 -0800, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Ayup. With wheels, larger is almost always better. I use 5" casters exclusively. They'll roll my WW tools and mobile benches over the air hoses without much bother.

Well, that's when there's not so much crap in my shop that I have any place to move anything larger than a pencil.

-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 21:23:25 -0800, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Ayup, using a 1200 grit diamond paddle to hone it to a fine edge.

-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Perhaps you could try a design similar to the sheetrock lifts? Or maybe modify one of them for the additional weight and stresses.

I found out I'm too old to throw rock around like I used to and rented one last Summer. That's a tool I might buy if I stumble across a good deal.

Newb

Reply to
nobody

Which reminds me that glaziers also use a dolly for moving large sheets of glass and mirrors. I have no idea what it's called anymore.

Newb

Reply to
nobody

snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.org fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

$169 delivered to my door from Ebay. I often coveted one, but wouldn't pay the $500+ bill plus shipping from the likes of Northern Tools. Then I found the ones on Ebay, and couldn't pass up the opportunity. 'never looked back! I wouldn't part with it.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That's a good deal. I'll look into it, thanks.

Drove 250 miles to buy one from a rental company that was going under last year. The guy told me on three seperate occasions that it would go 10' high. I have to have that, anything less won't work. I get there and guess how high it went? Yeah, 8' 6".

Newb

Reply to
nobody

snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.org fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Mine goes 10'2", but even if it doesn't, you can either buy or easily build an extension to get another 4-5' out of it. It's a simple tool, and every one I've seen is _exactly_ the same design, even though the vendors are really cut-throat about driving down the competition's features and quality.

(ps... I got the "red" one. The "blue" one is inferior . Whatever... but I'm really happy with the "red" one.)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

(...)

I'm 'way lazier than you guys. Those 100 lb. sheets of plywood are about 30 lb over my max limit, even with a convenient handle.

Art mentioned the Telpro Troll model 49. As opposed to the Troll 29 or the Troll 112, though they are cool, too. (I'm sure glad they like that name.)

It appeals to my sedentary nature:

I wouldn't be able to locate the parts to build one for 37 bux.

I ordered one yesterday.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I don't do it automatically. While I do have an associate degree related to metalworking, it wasn't what I did for many years. In the last 7 years, 15 years after I earned the degree is when I actually started using some of what I was taught.

I primarily diagnose and repair things. A bit of machining is like icing on the cake.

Oh if that isn't the truth. My machine room is fairly tiny by American standards. Eight foot by 11 feet with a lathe and a bridgeport. Heated and insulated. I can loose anything in that room in a second and take minutes to find it again. Heck, I spent more time in that room this winter than the rest of my garage and I couldn't find that darn chuck.

So you cut outlets for two muffin fans to help out your fridge's efficency using the fly cutter as a treplanning tool and did some welding for a portable mast for field days and such.

What bands and modes do you work? I only have a technican class license and I'm currently not radiating. One of these days really soon I'm going to start studying to upgrade to General class before I have to renew my tech license. Might as well get full value for my money ;)

Sounds like you had a "Good Day in the Shop (TM)". ;)

I'm still looking for the box of Gatling parts and tooling.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I have 5" casters on my 20" vertical bandsaw. I sure don't want it to stop suddenly on some little bit of debris on my floor.

I have just enough space left to start moving things to the trash bin. If after

20 years, I haven't used it, it is time to refuse it. ;)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Wes wrote in news:gLXjn.6127$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-02.dc.easynews.com:

20 minutes after the trash is hauled away you'll have an urgent need for it and it'll prove to be made of Unobtanium. :(
Reply to
RAM³

good for you. i made something similar years ago for hauling sheetrock, a few scraps of 1x and some fixed caster wheels. too small a diameter wheels to do what you want though. the one you ordered is nice, i'm surprised it's only $37. i clicked on your youtube link, and then was scrolling down the "related" list and watched this one. made me laugh out loud (in particular, his frustration with a wedgie). silly.

William Wixon

(...)

I hope to continue being delighted by that price. :)

Or the n+1 TV commercials showing complete incompetents tackling you - name - it and failing miserably. The latest of which is implicit, showing a bunch of ingredients necessary to prepare authentic fried chicken, arrayed very messily on a table.

Identify the sponsor of this "finger lickin' good" ad...

--Winston

Reply to
Winston