OT Its getting bloody awful!

Much more elegantly put, and with greater economy of words than I did, but yes. The fly cutter was $5 from the markets - did the job, but was certainly not a precision tool, as is usual in these things the centre hex bolt holding the bar was made of cheese, so rigidity was terrible. Need to get a decent hardened bolt, then should be better. Have also installed 2 big SLA batteries for remote power, when the price of solar panels drops a bit will recharge from them, otherwise a little Yamaha 4-stroke generator and mains power when available. FFR, or Fitted For Radio as they say in the Army.

I'm currently

value for my

80m at night, 40m during the day, 20m if theres not too much QRM from the "big boys" - hence the need for a portable mast, you try and set up near a big tree, but sometimes it ain't possible. The mast is telescoping aluminium, a club project, hopefully get about 18ft from it. 2m and 70cm in the vehicle for local contacts - we have a pretty good repeater network here in VK.

You will upgrade when you feel the need to do so - its a hobby, after all. No pressure, enjoy what privileges you have. When they are not enuff, then you will do the upgrade.

HF radio is useless in the city, especially 80m - so much radiated garbage from virtually every modern household gadget, so going bush is the answer - you turn on the radio, and its so quiet you think the receiver has died. S9 qrm in the suburbs...

It was more than a day, still a relative novice at metalworking, make too many mistakes and have to figure out how to do things. But, enjoying myself in the process - so much to learn, so little time. Wish I had started years ago.

Take Care Wes, good luck with the search.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

No, sometimes grossly off topic. Sorry, will try to do better.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

On 3/3/2010 9:07 AM, Steve B wrote: (...)

I commit to 2 or fewer posts a month attacking someone on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation or political affiliation.

It will be a struggle, but with your support, I think I can do it.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 10:11:36 -0800, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.org scrawled the following:

Is $195 a good deal? Don't they rent for about $65 a day?

from Discount Tommy
$189 + $89 s/h from eBay
$159 + free shipping from Max Tool. WOW! They're $300 at HF and Homey's Despot.

I can happily say that I've never used or needed one. I hardly do any drywalling, and then it's only pieced repairs. 2' squares at waist height (teens punching walls) sure beat full panels over your head.

-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 15:19:37 -0800, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Sure you would (as long as you don't figure in gas/trips.) $4.99 for casters ($10) at HF, $5 for 1' 1/8" sheet, $5 for 3' of 1" sq. tube, $2 for a pair of nuts and bolts, plus some rod to put it together and a $1.38 rattle can from Wally World to make it your fave color.

Good for you, Gramps.

(I took out a 6x22' porch today and then reloaded the scrap into my truck for recycling and unloaded it there. I'm feelin' it.)

-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 18:55:45 -0500, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:

That's an understatement. Mine's 18" on an HF stand, before they discontinued them. I think the wheels are 2.5" and I can tell the color of the grain of sand which stops the thing by the sound of the skidding wheel.

after 20 years,

Amen to that. I finally reroofed the pumphouse and can store misc older unused "stuff" out there. But I've been too busy making money the past several months (about freakin' time!) to get out and do it.

I'm storing about 8 gallons of solvents in an old fridge. I'm still looking for a small flammables cabinet but won't pay $500 for one. That would give me at least 3 more square feet, plus some cabinet space on the wall.

I, too, probably have a couple trashcanfuls of "stuff" which could be stored on someone else's shelves. I need to do a Freecycle weekend some time soon...

-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 05 Mar 2010 00:19:31 GMT, the infamous "RAM³" scrawled the following:

That's only true in 20% of the cases. I've proven that to myself since the last move and I'm still 80% ahead.

-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

Ah! Bingo. Sometimes it's better to let the UPS guy do the driving.

I hope you installed a hot tub, first.

:)

Just trying to be helpful.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 22:19:58 -0800, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

It's hard to get the scrap steel guys to ship same-city UPS, tho.

Oh, don't I wish? I'm gonna book 1.5 hours with a masseuse after the job is done, ah reckon.

Suuuure you were! ;)

-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943

Reply to
Larry Jaques

As you said earlier about upgrading my ticket, metalworking is a hobby after all. Enjoy using your mind as you use your hands and machines. It will keep your brain young.

Even when your approach works, you often figure out, during or after, the way you could have really have done the job efficiently. The fact you figured it out a bit late means you learned something from the experience. Nothing wrong with that.

Found the box today. In plain sight with a top layer of other stuff in the box making me think the box was full of computer parts.

Wes

Reply to
Wes