OT Its getting bloody awful!

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 22:19:58 -0800, the infamous Winston

It's hard to get the scrap steel guys to ship same-city UPS, tho.

Oh, don't I wish? I'm gonna book 1.5 hours with a masseuse after the job is done, ah reckon.

Suuuure you were! ;)
-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943
On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 10:11:36 -0800, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.org scrawled the following:

Is $195 a good deal? Don't they rent for about $65 a day? http://fwd4.me/1KY from Discount Tommy http://fwd4.me/1Kj $189 + $89 s/h from eBay http://fwd4.me/1Kp $159 + free shipping from Max Tool. WOW! They're $300 at HF and Homey's Despot.
I can happily say that I've never used or needed one. I hardly do any drywalling, and then it's only pieced repairs. 2' squares at waist height (teens punching walls) sure beat full panels over your head.
-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943

One question: Have all your posts been on topic? I know mine haven't. But I'm on a path to getting better. If we all would, this would lessen here. If we simply quit responding to the known trolls, they would go find another bridge.
So, I'll TRY to do my part. Not guaranteeing you perfection, mind you.
How about it, everyone?
Steve

No, sometimes grossly off topic. Sorry, will try to do better.
Andrew VK3BFA.
On 3/3/2010 9:07 AM, Steve B wrote: (...)

I commit to 2 or fewer posts a month attacking someone on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation or political affiliation.
It will be a struggle, but with your support, I think I can do it.
--Winston <-- Tapering off

Okay, just to make you happy. ;)
I've been looking high and low for my 6" 3 jaw scroll chuck. I know I have one because I have photographic proof it was on the lathe when I brought it home.
http://wess.freeshell.org/clausing_6900.jpg
I pulled it off over two years ago to use the 4 jaw independant chuck in rebulding the lathe and sorta lost contact with the 3 jaw. Well, I *thought* it was in the rear of the chip tray until I started looking for it.
Finally I gave up looking for it in my garage and called my uncle to ask if he remembered if I did anything with it when we rolled the lathe to the rear of the garage last fall. He didn't remember anything other than he thought it was sitting in the chip pan.
He mentioned he needed to bring over some tools he borrowed to work on his house and I piped up, while you are over, take a look around and see if you can find the chuck.
I come home today, took a quick look in the machine room and didn't see the chuck so I poked around for a while and gave uncle a call. Uncle tells me he found it and laid it on my lathe. Yup, there it is.
So I ask him, where did you find it? He tells me, on the shelf behind your bridgeport. You had the lid to a cased set of micrometers open that obscured it from view. Hidden in plain sight. I kept thinking the chuck was on the shelf but I didn't see it and I did look. Just didn't fip that lid. Sheese.
Now for the metalworking stuff. The poor chuck is a bit covered with drywall dust. That is the result of me building the heated room for my machines with the machines in them. So I took it apart and cleaned it. While I had it apart, I could see the jaws are damaged. I have a bit of bellmouth at the end. At the rear of the jaws clamping surface, they look fine.
I'm not sure who made this chuck. It was made in England and shows fine workmanship.
Fine enough that the back of the jaws where there are scroll cuts are, the flat surfaces are ground parallel to the slots that the jaws ride in the chuck body which means they are 90 degrees to the damaged clamping surface.
I measured the height of each jaw for reference using the undamaged clamping surface.
Then I put it back together and mounted to my lathe. It has consistant 0.007" run out on various diameters. That could be fixed by bumping the chuck body a bit in relation to the backing plate.
I still have to clean up the jaw surface to get rid of the bellmouthing. For that, I can take a 3x3" right angle plate and stick it to the magnetic chuck on his grinder, then clamp the jaw using the flat surface of the scroll side while using a machinist square to orient things properly. Then grind to clean up, measure, make sure the other jaws are taken down the same amount.
For extra bonus points, I can carefully measure the run out and relationship to each jaw and calculate the amount of grinding variation to get the chuck to center w/o moving the body around.
I'm still looking for the box with all the reamers, dowels, hex bushings, spring wire, fasteners, ect for my gatling build. I now I boxed that stuff up for the time I had my lathe running and in a heated enviroment.
Wes

Wow - that was a mental exercise there - (the latter) - I knew what you were talking about, but had to actually "think" while I was reading it - (an arduous task I prefer to avoid). You are fortunate that you are able to do these things in your own shop,... But thanks - a good exercise in finding, testing, planning a job. Logical thinking - you probably do it automatically after all these years.
AND - as for "losing" the 3 jaw chuck - Sorry Wes, it aint going to get any better. Same here, hate it. The worst is when the phone rings while you are holding something - you put it down automatically to answer the phone, and then it vanishes, sometimes for ever......
My current job - not nearly as grand. Cut sheet of 3mm aluminium, used a flycutter to cut 2 holes, the same exhaust diameter of 2 hard rubbish PC power supplies. This was then mounted, recessed, into the original vent outlet plate on the caravan refrigerator. And a bastard of a job that was - the plastic was brittle, in the end the only thing that could touch it was the Dremel with mini-cutoff wheels - still finding bits of them everywhere.. The thermo syphon fridge does like hot weather, it cant get the heat out of the back, so the fans should help. Also welded up a frame to hold a portable mast for when I go bush amateur radio - its hanging on the clothes line, the first coat of paint drying.
So. My commiserations on finding the lost chuck, and thanks for a nice metalwork story.
Andrew VK3BFA

I don't do it automatically. While I do have an associate degree related to metalworking, it wasn't what I did for many years. In the last 7 years, 15 years after I earned the degree is when I actually started using some of what I was taught.
I primarily diagnose and repair things. A bit of machining is like icing on the cake.

Oh if that isn't the truth. My machine room is fairly tiny by American standards. Eight foot by 11 feet with a lathe and a bridgeport. Heated and insulated. I can loose anything in that room in a second and take minutes to find it again. Heck, I spent more time in that room this winter than the rest of my garage and I couldn't find that darn chuck.

So you cut outlets for two muffin fans to help out your fridge's efficency using the fly cutter as a treplanning tool and did some welding for a portable mast for field days and such.
What bands and modes do you work? I only have a technican class license and I'm currently not radiating. One of these days really soon I'm going to start studying to upgrade to General class before I have to renew my tech license. Might as well get full value for my money ;)
Sounds like you had a "Good Day in the Shop (TM)". ;)
I'm still looking for the box of Gatling parts and tooling.
Wes

Much more elegantly put, and with greater economy of words than I did, but yes. The fly cutter was $5 from the markets - did the job, but was certainly not a precision tool, as is usual in these things the centre hex bolt holding the bar was made of cheese, so rigidity was terrible. Need to get a decent hardened bolt, then should be better. Have also installed 2 big SLA batteries for remote power, when the price of solar panels drops a bit will recharge from them, otherwise a little Yamaha 4-stroke generator and mains power when available. FFR, or Fitted For Radio as they say in the Army.

80m at night, 40m during the day, 20m if theres not too much QRM from the "big boys" - hence the need for a portable mast, you try and set up near a big tree, but sometimes it ain't possible. The mast is telescoping aluminium, a club project, hopefully get about 18ft from it. 2m and 70cm in the vehicle for local contacts - we have a pretty good repeater network here in VK.
You will upgrade when you feel the need to do so - its a hobby, after all. No pressure, enjoy what privileges you have. When they are not enuff, then you will do the upgrade.
HF radio is useless in the city, especially 80m - so much radiated garbage from virtually every modern household gadget, so going bush is the answer - you turn on the radio, and its so quiet you think the receiver has died. S9 qrm in the suburbs...

It was more than a day, still a relative novice at metalworking, make too many mistakes and have to figure out how to do things. But, enjoying myself in the process - so much to learn, so little time. Wish I had started years ago.

Take Care Wes, good luck with the search.
Andrew VK3BFA.

As you said earlier about upgrading my ticket, metalworking is a hobby after all. Enjoy using your mind as you use your hands and machines. It will keep your brain young.
Even when your approach works, you often figure out, during or after, the way you could have really have done the job efficiently. The fact you figured it out a bit late means you learned something from the experience. Nothing wrong with that.

Found the box today. In plain sight with a top layer of other stuff in the box making me think the box was full of computer parts.
Wes