OT: Manuals for 2 Stroke Power Tools?

I have a number of Weed whakers, hedge trimmers , leaf blowers, etc. that are powered by very small 2 stroke engines which seem to always be in the need of some tinkering. Is there a book or web site that gives a good explanation of how to fix them? Mine seem to always have some sort of fuel problem that has me working on them more than using them.

TIA Jay Cups

Reply to
JayCups

Do a search at Amazon for " String Trimmer and Blower Service Manual " I have the 3rd edition of this book by Intertec which covers several brands. Intertec also prints manuals for lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc.

Bruce

Reply to
BJ

Several tips that may help:

(1) Use fresh 2-stroke mix. If its more than a month old you are likely to have problems. Even with a sealed can, in hot weather the volatiles in the gas will have evaporated and the oil concentration will have increased resulting in hard starting, low(er) power, and lots of smoke.

(2) Avoid high octane "blends" as these have considerable additives. You may be out of luck if you live in an area that mandates "clean" formulation gas.

(3) Use synthetic 2-stroke oil at the lowest concentration suggested by the oil manufacturer. Motorcycle 2-stroke oil [I like the orange Motul synthetic] has special additives that will keep your motors clean as well as keep them lubricated. Cheap oil is sure to cause problems. High concentrations required for cheap oil not only cause lots of smoke and foul the motors, they also cause the motor to run lean [hot] because the oil displaces the gasoline in the fuel mix. This is another reason to use only fresh mix because as the gas evaporates the concentration of oil goes up.

(4) Get an accurate graduate and accurately measure the gas and oil in the mixture. Eyeball mixes are almost always far too rich. Don't assume that the markings on a plastic gas can or pump readings are accurate.

(5) Be sure to adequately mix the oil and gas, and shake the can every time you use it.

(6) Use a fuel strainer every time you fill the tools up. One that will seperate water out is best. You will be amazed at what and how much gets filtered out. This is getting worse with the crap gasoline being sold in many markets.

Good luck.

Unka George (George McDuffee) ============================= When you give power to an executive you do not know who will be filling that position when the time of crisis comes.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961), U.S. author. "Notes on the Next War: A Serious Topical Letter," in Esquire (New York, Sept. 1935; repr. in By-Line Ernest Hemingway, ed. by William White, 1967).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Thanks George and Bruce,

I have ordered the book and will start using fresher gas and better oil.

Jay

F. George McDuffee wrote:

Reply to
JayCups

Another thing that has always helped me keep weed trimmers easy to start is to run them completely dry at the end of each long use. Dump the gas out and start it with just the fuel in the line. Sometimes I run a little wd 40 thru it. I have always had good luck using marvel mystery oil as two stroke oil. Same concentration. about an ounce to a gallon.

Reply to
daniel peterman