OT: More DEEP FAT frying questions

That depends on how hot you got the oil, for how long, light exposure, and the exact type (or types) of oil you are using. In other words, there isn't a short answer.

Yes, the exact type does make a difference. Olive oil has a fairly low smoke point for a frying oil, but because of the nature of its fatty acid composition it resists rancidity for a longer time than other common cooking oils.

At the same time though, rancidity can be difficult to detect in refined vegetable oils until it reaches a rather advanced state. It's possible if it were very well stored for ten year old olive oil not to have developed any significant degree of rancidity, but your statement "...i have been using some 10yr old olive oil. not great, but no rancid taste,..." makes me wonder. It's been my experience that many people simply have difficulty noticing rancidity in vegetable oils until it's pretty far gone.

There are oil/oil mixes to be found that can go for quite a time before they need to be filtered or replaced. Your best bet along these lines is to talk to folks in the commercial foods business. A restaurant/institutional foods supplier could probably make several suggestions.

But were it me, I'd stick with peanut oil or the like and refrigerate it between uses. Rancid oil is not acutely toxic, but it has been implicated in several of the more serious long-term health problems that commonly plague the developed nations. Kept cold, in the dark, in a gas tight container you can make cooking oil last a long time.

Olive oil is not the best choice for deep frying, but it can be used for such. Don't spend money on unrefined or virgin oils - they contain too many compounds that will burn at low temperatures. Use the most highly refined olive oil you can find - the more tasteless and colorless the better.

I have yet to find a brand of lard in a grocery store here in Florida that hasn't been at least partially hydrogenated. Lard, properly packaged and stored, can keep for quite a while since it's fairly saturated. Beef fat (tallow), properly packaged and stored, will keep even better since it's still more saturated. Coconut and palm oil are highly saturated and will keep well too. Of course, there are the dietary implications of saturated fats to be considered as well. Pick your favorite theory and go with it.

Crisco is highly hydrogenated and in an unopened can stored at any reasonable temperature will keep for at least five years, maybe longer. Once opened I'd store it in refrigerator unless you have a cool kitchen. I know a lot of people keep their Crisco, lard, cooking oil, whatever in the cabinet, but if you're wanting the greatest possible shelf-life then refrigerate it. I'm steadily eliminating hydrogenated fats from my diet. The evidence is not fully in yet, but so far there's enough of it to indicate that hydrogenated fats may be worse than the most saturated fats for long term health. We've gone back to butter or non-hydrogenated margarine (yes, there is such a thing).

If you've just got to have the maximum possible shelf-life in your cooking fats then add preservatives. BHT is very common in food use and is on the FDA's Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) list and is fairly easy to add to your cooking fats yourself. Google up the Prudent Food Storage FAQ at Walton Feed where I give instructions for doing this. I don't use BHT myself, but there are some folks who feel a need for it.

.....Alan.

Reply to
A.T. Hagan

thanks to Alan for a very informative post, much of which is snipped for brevity.

....> until it's pretty far gone.

while i hate to admit it, that's probably me.

okay, i will not start w/olive oil. i am just learning to cook for myself the past few years, still much to learn, but i did find that pancakes are better with another oil.

maybe just me, but as i get older, the less i care about just how healthy it is. i may think i have paid "in advance" for a little saturated fat. the salt is what bothers me, too much in prepared and canned food, esp. soups. the irony is that i _like_ salt, just not so much.

that's a nice sanity check for me, at least i am not the lone ranger.

food service folks use it. taste in many things is almost completely aquired, as it is for margerine. you could probably learn to like almost any of it. we got used to "Imperial", a relativly cheap spread these days, over 30yrs ago and still use it. the low cal margerines do lose, imho. i would rather use less and not pay a premium for the added water.

thanks to everyone who has responed, i have learned a lot. Regards, --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

snip

Olive oil imparts too much flavor for something like that (as you now know). hmm... Was just trying to 'picture' the taste of those pancakes. Probably would have needed LOTS of maple syrup. :-)

kb9wfk

Reply to
KB9WFK

i ate them but was disappointed. i make the thin type, not much syrup required in any case (imho). the cake style can be really gross, and no amount of syrup will save them (or you ;-).

okay, just fired up my GE "restaurant style" cooker, and am going to prepare some fries for my (late) supper. the owner's manual does not recommend olive oil, lard nor peanut oil(!). go figure. they give you a cover for the well, but tell you _not_ to refrigerate, but keeps up to three months. duh....?

it did come with a magnetic power plug, a break-away safety feature, good idea for the brain-dead or intoxicated. i guess the temp/thermostat is the real question, all of these are now made in China. they are basically

3 or 5 qts. this is 4 litres. more will follow. --Loren
Reply to
Loren Coe