===== start of letter =====

To: Senator Roberts Senator Moran Representative Jenkins Representative Pompeo

From: Dr. George McDuffee

Date: Thursday, July 03, 2014

RE:

I know that you are concerned about the increasing arrogance of the IRS toward the peoples' representatives as evidenced by the disappearing emails. Another pattern of abuse of administrative digression has been discovered, namely the unwarranted delay and ultimate rejection of granting

501(c)(3) classification to open source [free] software projects. Please consider the following points:

  • Open source software is a critical component in driving computer utilization. American computer leadership depends on the common intellectual properties such as the Linux operating system, and a tremendous number of applications from the most basic text editors to

By such bureaucratic [non] actions, we are jeopardizing our future leadership in such critical areas as artificial intelligence, flight control systems and e-commerce.

  • Many, far less beneficial organizations such as the NFL [National Football League] and the NHL [National Hockey League] have 501(c)(6) non-profit tax exempt status. Section 501(c)(6) of the Internal Revenue Code provides for the exemption of business leagues, chambers of commerce, real estate boards, boards of trade and professional football leagues, which are not organized for profit and no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.

Therefore it is urged legislation be immediately introduced forcing the I.R.S. to review non-profit tax status requests from open source software organizations in a prompt and timely manner [most likely will require a strict time limit

the IRS budget to the organizations denied timely review] and the mandatory granting of 501(c)(3) status to open source organizations meeting the public and explicit quantifiable requirements [which Congress may well also have to promulgate].

===== end of letter =====

Info about the tax exempt status of the NFL, PGA and NHL

F. George McDuffee

All I can say is OMFG!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Time for an end to the IRS! They are just the tip of the iceberg of this most corrupt administration. Disgusting!

Reply to
Tom Gardner