OT: Newsreader

Hello rcm

Outlook Express is slower than the second coming... Can any of you recommend a good Newsreader?

Thanks, Jay

Reply to
jvjamt

James P Crombie

Microplanet Gravity. Fortunately, it's free. Unfortunately, it's no longer supported by the company. But the feature set and stability are excellent, and it is supported somewhat by one of the original developers. I like a lot better than Forte's offerings. OTOH, I haven't used Agent in about two years; maybe it's better now.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Agent. Supports email as well.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see: Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs

Ontario

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Er.. what computer you got? An old 486 or P120 won't do crap for a group as big as this, whatever the newsreader. If download time is slow, get a better connection (I think shaw.ca is cable/DSL so that shouldn't be an issue).

Tim

-- "That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson Website @

Tim Williams

Agent is the news reader of choice for virtually every serious newsgroup user I know.

Good stuff Maynard.

Gunner

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Reply to
Gunner

Huh?

Gunner, posting this on a 120, 64 megs, and dialup.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Reply to
Gunner

I've read RCM, back when it was almost as large on a 488/33/16Mb laptop. Admittedly not fast, but perfectly using tin/linux. Now using a PII/300/192Mb subnote, which does everthing I want in a laptop. If it had USB2, then it'd be perfect.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

--If you don't mind raw text try putty. Works really fast.

Reply to
steamer

Aside from the suggestions which you have already received, I find myself wondering if you're finding it to be much slower than usual. If so -- there is a good chance that you've been bit by one of the virii running around, and your computer is now working for others at the same time it is working for you. It could either be trying to infect other machines, or sending out spam for a spammer.

Do you have a good virus checker -- with *up-to-date* virus signature files? Outlook Express is the targeted program for many of these virii, because it is the easiest email/newsreader to infect of all that are out there.

And once a system has been infected, several of the virii disable most of the common anti-virus programs.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Netscape. I actually use an old version (2.2) with no Java or script so the b&^%$ who post there junk on the NGs don't get to have any fun. The last thing in the world I would use is OE - it's just too bloody dangerous.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Tim's been listening to the Simpsons too much. Computer speed has got to get awfuly slow before it is going to affect text downloads.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Well, bloatware though it is, OE can't have possibly come up with the

14.5MB the RCM file contains. Note I keep message data for a week, if you set that for less it would surely be a bit smaller.

Tim

-- "That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson Website @

Tim Williams

Why on Earth would you download the whole NG rather than just the post or threads that had more than passing interest to you? If it's because that's what OS does, then toss it and get Netscape.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I don't.

Often it's easier to zoom by threads by jumping to the next unread message, downloading and 'reading' it (whether or not I'm actually reading it) and skipping along until I find an interesting thread. Note I have essentially unlimited BW, as opposed to dialup. I don't have to wait for posts to download (unless Charter is being bitchy). So the 15MB might just be a side-effect of my reading habits. I also have headers back to January(!), that's Charter.

Tim

-- "That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson Website @

Tim Williams

Under Netscape, you can select "Show only unread messages". This keeps me from seeing all 5532 headers lines currently on the news server. Only the 17 I didn't already read this morning or wanted tr re-read. Also, when I see a thread I am not interested in, two key strokes will mark the whole thread as read.

When I see a bunch of messages in a thread that I would like to keep, I simply highlight the ones I want and save them to a file.

You really can't do much worse than OE and dumping it might save you a lot of contamination - assuming you aren't already infected.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Forte' Agent is pretty slick, it downloads only the headers & you click on the header to retrieve the message/binary. Might take a bit of experimentation to adjust it to your preferences, but it is nice!

Bart

I prefer seeing the structure, so in case I missed the context I can go back easily.

Same here.

Here we go again... SIGH...

Tim

-- "That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson Website @

Tim Williams

Even better, one keystroke ("K") will mark it to "ignore" and you don't see any subsequent posts in that thread either. I use it a lot ;-)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Reply to