OT: old time picture of a woman and her lathe

Clark Magnuson

wearing that hair net, I'd hate to think about her ample head of hair getting into the flat belts!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Reply to
Mickey Feldman

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

There was a vibrating feed belt to the rear of her - no shielding....

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Mickey Feldman wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Notice the swing isn't very large - just a very powerful lathe for the size. You can see the ? jack pulley ? in the deep background ?

My guess - WWI or WWII.

Martin

Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Mickey Feldman wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

At least there are no washing machine wringers around, only belts.

John

Reply to
John

Yeah, the thing at the bottom of the pic is the COMPOUND slide! Note the swivel below the slide! That compound is bigger than the main ways on many good-sized lathes.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

It' hard to tell since the flat belt machines were used well into the fifties. I would guess that it would be around the beginning or WW2 early forties.

John

Reply to
John

The archive has it as c1914, if it was, it would be late 1914.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I had some work done by a classic old flat-belt machine shop in Venice, California, in 1974. A few months later the building was empty and I was never able to find out where the machinery went.

Tom Dac>>

Reply to
Tom Dacon

Reply to
JR North

At the back of the lathe is what seems a flexible arm with at the end an open gas flame. Would that have been for lighting purposes? George

Reply to
George

Flat belt machines lost most of their usefulness in the industry because they couldn't turn fast enough for carbide tooling.

John

Reply to
John

The ladies clothing style reminds me of early to mid WW-I era England.

England was cranking out lots of small anti-submarine patrol craft during that time frame. Which makes me wonder if she, and the out of focus gentleman in the background, may have been turning out prop shafts for them.

Len

Reply to
Len

Id vote for WW1, based on clothes style and background.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I'm wondering if the yolk shaped assemblies on the table in the background are breech blocks, so I'm thinking she's making a cannon barrel. World War I, I guess, but for which side?

doodooron

Unable to find link. However the barrels, if they are such, are too small to be 75mm guns, of which the French 75 is best known.

This looks more along the lines of a 2 pounder

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

Yep, I don't know what I did wrong with the link. but I googled the image of "breech block" and hit a pic at

Nice little article about th Swedish 105mm Howitzer m/10. Sorry the link doesn't work. Ron

Reply to
doodooron

Very short for a cannon of any type.

I'd bet an axle for a tank or field cannon.

barrel lathes are really really really large. They are something to see! Some years ago someone posted a link to one - been a while - search for BIG lathe...

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

snipped-for-privacy@fr> I'm wondering if the yolk shaped assemblies on the table in the

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn