OT: politicly controversial - CAUTION!

Help me settle an argument. I have researcher this for months without a definite answer.

Are chicken wings light meat or dark meat?

My research sites light, dark and half-and-half.

Metalworking content: The true answer will dictate the alloy, size and construction methodology of devices for cooking these critter parts.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

There is no real meat on chicken wings. This is a trick question!

Jim

jim rozen

Breast and wings are whit and legs and thighs are dark according to the local fried chicken house. That said, I wonder what the back is-white or dark? I don't ever remember seeing a magic line on any of the chickens that I have cut up serving as a light/dark boundry

Reply to
GMasterman

You mean people actually eat chicken wings?

Lane

Reply to
Lane

It would depend on how much the chicken used the wings. Dark meat comes from well exercised muscle, white meat comes from unused muscle. The breast muscle is white cause the chicken doesn't fly much, I guess the wing cant be dark for the same reason.

Those of you who shoot things might comment if wild duck has dark breast meat?

Then again, my brain may be white meat, so the above may be pure nonsense!

regards,

John

Reply to
john johnson

From one of my food/cooking technology books chicken breast meat is white because it lacks the myoglobin found in muscles used for sustained activity (legs & thighs). Consequently the breast meat (a flying muscle) is only useful for short flights. The wing muscle has a greater myoglobin content than breast meat, but much less than legs/thighs. Based on that I'd tend to classify wings as white meat.

Reply to
Jim Levie

Ha!

Not only do they eat them, they're willing to pay top dollar for the *white* meat on chicken wings. What was that saying, there's a sucker born every minute?

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Chuckle!

My white brain says that the breast of wild ducks is dark, at least those that I used to cook were. I no longer hunt them, can't imagine why I'd want to kill them now. The texture of the breast is in keeping with that of chicken, but darker and certainly stronger in flavor. You may be on the right track with color versus the degree of use.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

John is on the right track here. You get a Rhode Island Red and let it run and fend for itself in the barn yard and it will have a darker wing and breast. Raise a Cornish cross in the chicken shed with no exercise and you get much whiter meat. Me I prefer the old style birds that are raised free ranging, roost in the trees and scratch through the dirt and manure for feed and bugs. The commercial birds are very highly engineered to give you the plump white breast meat and the fast growing animal. Another animal that is very highly engineered is the pig. When I was growing up pork was dark meat, now it is the "other white meat" . lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 02:16:42 GMT, "Tom Gardner" calmly ranted:

Reminds me of the Hillary Meal at Mickey D's:

2 small breasts 2 large thighs and 2 left wings.

So, in rephrasing your question, we get:

Are chicken wings light, dark, or left?

Any old metal will do.

-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-

Wondrous Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Only if they are still there, and I am still hungry after eating the thighs and legs. Kinda reminds me of my preference in, uh, nevermind.

michael

Reply to
michael

The inner joint is white and the middle joint dark and outer joint is bone and skin. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

I MUST protest! Chicken should be fried in cast iron skillet and to maintain propper tolerances the cast iron must be aged for at least 5 years by regular heating to 350F in a bacon grease bath.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

I eat my chicken just like I do my women, with a leg in each hand!

Reply to
Backlash

White meat is fast twitch muscle, red meat is slow twitch. I believe the mix found in a given muscle is a function of both genetics and conditioning, so just as there's a difference between the leg and breast meat in a chicken, you'd see a higher proportion of white meat to dark in the leg muscles of a sprinter vs. a marathoner. I've no personal experience cooking athletes' legs, so can't say whether the distinction is as clear in humans as in birds.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 07:25:24 -0400, "Backlash" calmly ranted:

As we say in France, "If you can't join 'em, lick 'em!" (I have about 0.001% Franch blood.)

-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-

Wondrous Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Here's a classic math problem...

If your neighbor's rhode island red rooster is roosted in a tree 30 feet from your bedroom window, crowing at 4am on memorial day, how many times do you have to nail him with a 3-cell industrial flashlight before he'll either shut up or leave?

If you told me that you could not budge a bird with a 2 pound flashlight, I'd have told you to go pound salt.

I really wanted to give him a 45 caliber 200 grain semi-wadcutter, but I'm on top of a huge hill, with no appropriate backstop in any direction. Of course, had I positioned myself so as to place the trajectory in the general direction of the farm, in hindsight, I could have placed a safe shot.

I'd have gone out and bought a shiny new 12-guage shotgun that week, but the neighbor loaded all dem chickens on a truck that very same morning.

It would seem he bought 30 chickens, and after 2 months was down to only 12, so he just gave up. He told me something has been dining on his chickens. It wasn't me, honest. Oh, the temptation was there, but I don't know squat about cleaning a chicken...

Reply to
Jon Grimm

||> You mean people actually eat chicken wings? ||>

||> Lane || || Ha! || ||Not only do they eat them, they're willing to pay top dollar for the *white* ||meat on chicken wings. What was that saying, there's a sucker born every ||minute?

If you think we are going to Hooters for the chickens wings, you'd be wrong ;) Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

||Breast and wings are whit and legs and thighs are dark according to the local ||fried chicken house. That said, I wonder what the back is-white or dark? I ||don't ever remember seeing a magic line on any of the chickens that I have cut ||up serving as a light/dark boundry

Any older Southerner can help you deine that light/dark oundary ;)

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

nospam