Skilling Indicted

42 counts. Something ought to stick.

HOUSTON (Reuters) - Former Enron Corp. Chief Executive Jeff Skilling, who led the company as it veered from fraud-fueled boom toward bankruptcy, was charged on Thursday with fraud, insider trading and lying about Enron's finances ahead of its spectacular collapse.

A sullen Skilling, 50, turned himself in to the FBI early on Thursday and was taken in handcuffs to the federal courthouse in central Houston.

``I plead not guilty to all counts,'' he said in a firm, defiant voice at a hearing before U.S. Magistrate Frances Stacy. Skilling occasionally shook his head ``no'' as the judge read through the charges in a

42-count indictment.
Reply to
Jim Stewart

Grant Erwin

Please label at OT!

Reply to
Lane

Next step, skilling rats out lay, the same way that fastow ratted out skilling.

Then who's lay gonna rat out????

Three guesses!

Jim

jim rozen

I find it fascinating that so many people here said all the Enron boys would get a pass from the current administration.

Seems it aint so. I wonder if they will apologize?

Gunner "To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

I suppose you opened this thinking it was something about skill saws being indicted?

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

No, not at all. Just trying to preserve some decorum, as if that is possible on this NG!

Lane

Reply to
Lane

i thought it might be about "indicating", maybe with a skill saw? --Loren

Reply to
Loren A. Coe

That is paid for by the service fee for regulation that you say is not needed. But maybe you are due a refund from the Agricultural Inspection Service for that mad cow you ate. ;-)

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

"Loren A. Coe" snipped-for-privacy@C1932201-A.attbi.com

I'd indicate that you can indict with a skill saw, it just has to be a GrandJury skill saw. FM (see amendment V, first up)

Reply to
Fdmorrison

Hang it in your ass, lane, nobody likes a net-nazi.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

Actually, I eat my own beef.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Maybe skilling, fastow, and lay will apologize to all the folks they bilked. Then again, maybe not.

Those guys got greedy and got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. But they already *have* the cookies my friend. Slap on the wrist, pay a few million in penalties, Next Case!

Jim

jim rozen

Sure about that Jim? I seem to recall you being one of them that said they would never even be charged.

So far. your batting average aint so good.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Hey! thanks for making me spit coffee onto my keyboard.... --Loren

Reply to
Loren A. Coe

One guess will do. Although that probably won't happen. Too much power at the top. Abrasha

Abrasha

Interesting that the activity that ultimately brought Enron down is clearly documented to have occurred between 1997 and 2000 as these were the first 4 years worth of earnings re-statements that Enron posted in November 2001 - look it up, its in Enron's SEC filings as well as having been widely reported in the business press.

I'm sure you were trying to point the finger at the Bush administration. However, it is very clear that although the problems were made public during Bush's tenure, nearly all of the illegal activity actually occurred under the Clinton administration, under Clinton's energy policies.

Having said that, I don't for a moment believe that either administration had anything to do with the situation. The facts simply don't bear it out.

Robert

Stewart

Reply to
Siggy

While gwb does seem to have been caught up the maelstrom, and will no doubt be discussed when lay comes up on deck, the real start of enronian economics happened when bush sr. decided it would be a great idea to eviscerate the SEC.

Relax all those bad, bad regulations and business would go about doing what business is so good at.

Ripping off investors by lying about the pofits and debts of the company, actually.

Jim

jim rozen

You were the other one that said none of them would ever get nailed....snicker

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

\ Which with or without the SEC, is still illegal and has been since

1934 and before.