Dennis Hastert indicted by Feds

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/dennis-hastert-us-house-speaker-indicted-feds/story?id1376076
Without knowing much detail, I find this article to be deeply
disturbing.
It seems that the crime that Dennis Hastert is accused of, is being a victim of a successful blackmailer, and "structuring" his cash withdrawals that he made to pay off and appease the blackmailer.
Added to that is "lying to investigators", which seems like a garden variety retort that he "kept the money for himself".
Is that really the kind of criminal behavior that endangers our society? What else is going on, is he falling victim to powerful enemies?
I read some other stories recently, where "Muslim extremists" are similarly pursued by the FBI and put in prison for some ridiculous "crimes" like lying to the FBI. OK, in that case at least these "extremists" are sworn and overt enemies of the USA, so I wrote that off as a new normal.
But what about Dennis Hastert?
Ignoramus17447 wrote:

Sounds to me like it's politically motivated - he's a republican in Illinois ... not that I'm condoning what he did , but are they going after the extorter too ? If not , why not ?
--
Snag

Looks like he was covering sexual misconduct with a male student when he taught high school. Hard to see how this could be politically motivated since Hastert has been long out of office.

If you use your right to remain silent you can not be charged with lying to the government. Everything you say to any LEO will be used against you. Save your explainations for the court room.
Best Regards Tom.

You are right, but it is easier said than done.

Indeed, the urge to vindicate oneself is difficult to overcome. You have to remember you are dealing with trained interrogators that want to extract information to trap you. Did you know that the LEO's are under no legal obligation to be truthfull with suspects or persons of interest. Our legal system has become very skewed in favor of the prosecutor.
Best Regards Tom.

I heard of a guy that went to the police with some drugs he found hidden in an imported food package (quite a high street value). The police threatened to arrest him for possession of drugs unless he wore a wire to get the owner of the store to implicate himself. He did it because he was afraid (hope the guy doesn't have some buddies who will get pay-back on his car, wife, house, kids etc. And you wonder why people sometimes show a lack of interest in illegal goings-on.
--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

===============Repeat after me:
"On advice of counsel I decline to answer any questions without the presence of my attorney, and I wish all questioning to cease."
then Lawyer--Lawyer--Lawyer--
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,

Better call Saul.
Best Regards Tom.

I have never been arrested, or under investigation that I know about, but I was interrogated once, a long time ago, in a matter concerning someone else. Nothing ever came out of this (for me). Fortunately, I did not know much.
I am sure that "not talking to investigators" is a lot harder than it seems. They do not come out and say "you are investigated for a crime", they come out and say "can you help us with investigation". They are trained to make you talk. This is what "Reid techniques" are about.
On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 9:59:31 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus17447 wrote:

Did you ever try to keep track of those who interrogated you and others that they've interrogated? Because you may have a right to sue if it was later found that illegal procedures were followed during the questioning.
tOn Fri, 29 May 2015 11:12:25 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I believe that there was a U.S. court decision that up held the Interrogator's right to lie to the individual being inebriated while if the individual being inebriated lies to the interrogator he is committing a crime.
When I was in the U.S.A.F. I believe it was a regulation or policy that the Interrogator was required to inform you, before you were questioned, that you were not required by the regulations to answer.
At least when my wife backed into a guy's fender and we called the Air Police to report it that was the first thing that the A.P. said when he arrived.
--
Cheers,

John B.

John Burge got faster results, old school but he did get a lot of confessions.
Q: Can you help us with investigation.
A: I have to ask my lawyer.
Best Regards Tom.
On Thu, 28 May 2015 19:00:43 -0500, Ignoramus17447 wrote:

feds/story?id1376076

You only get blackmailed if you fail to tell your blackmailer "publish and be damned". That's like, a courageous thing to do, so it's hard to see a political hack doing it.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
On Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 7:00:44 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus17447 wrote:

His crime was being a Republican.

And Billary will likely get elected on her stunning Benghazi record.
--
It takes as much energy to wish as to plan.
--Eleanor Roosevelt