Airfix 1/32 Old Bill Bus and Dennis fire engine

I see this are being re-released as a pair. Anyone know of any build-up reviews of either kit? Detail parts that are suitable?

As I can remember these in the sixties, I guess any reviews would be "period". If you can get hold of them old "Airfix Magazines" (from the period of the red cover, small format) carried some conversions for these, I did (my second conversion) of the bus into a WD truck.
Both these kits have been very hard to find in recent years, and I think (but happy to be corrected) that the bus was only available once in it's wartime configuration, later releases were the civilian version.
Incidentally, one of the original buses is on display at the Imperial War Museum in London, sadly in civvy clothes!
Cheers
MH

<snip>
The WD bus is a real sod to find. Off the top of my head, the bus was originally issued as the civvy version, then a seperate boxing came out for the WD bus. After that, both versions came in the same box. Later, the WD bus was deleted. I've got my fingers crossed for one of two things. The bus is supplied in both versions. The plastic is grey instead of red (I HATE painting red plastic). If I get both, then full marks to Airfix!!

<snip>
Thanks, that makes sense than my memory! I can remember the box tops though!
Thanks for the memory of the red plastic too, my conversion took a couple of coats of Humbrol's finest!
Cheers
MH
If you'd like to see those original boxart covers, go to http://boxart.miarroba.com /, hit Airfix, then Airfix Vehiculos 1964-1973 (its in Italian - sue me!) and go to page 4 for the Dennis, the old Bill and the WD all together.
-- John

Is that site in Italian? Really?? I must have spoken Spanish since when I was born, but nobody made me notice it :-P
-- Luca Beato - http://members.xoom.it/huey / FAQ del plastimodellismo su http://www.ipmsitaly.com/faq/modelfaq.html
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign \ / X No HTML in / \ email & news
Sorry I misread it. I only speak American English, a bit of high school German (after a couple of beers) and a reasonably strong amount of profanity. My Spanish (as well as other Romance languages) are terribly weak. Oh yeah, my ex used to tell me that I spoke enough Quebecois French to insult the locals! Sorry!
Old Timer wrote:

I've heard it doesn't take much to insult the locals there...;) I had some German in school and picked up some Spanish from Sesame Street and all the signs in offices nowadays. The other Romance tongues aren't too hard to pick out if one does any general (not General) aviation reading.
Bill Banaszak, MFE

About 30 years ago I remember the catalogue listing the bus kit as an either / or. I wanted one for my birthday and the folks found it was OOP. Eventually they tracked down on old stock one which was just the civvy kit. I infer that the civvy-only was the first one and the military version got added later, but I could be wrong.

Ah, that's worth knowing, thanks.
FWIW I have found a website dedicated to vintage fire engines and the site owner reckons the Airfix fire engine was based on a specimen in the Science Museum which has since gone to a private collection. Also it apparently has a bit of artistic licence.
I was intrigued because I remember both kits from being a kid and 22 for the re-released pair strikes me as a steal compared to what old stock goes for on eBay - quite often you pay more than that for one of them.