Any glue stick to nylon?

Hi, here's a question that is not 100% model related, but may be. I have a small white plastic gear (nylon I think) that is pressed on a metal shaft from a motor. The gear cracked between the teeth so it spins loosely on the shaft when friction is applied. Any way to glue this gear to the shaft? I cleaned all of the grease off of the shaft & gear but don't know what kind of glue will stick it together. Can it be heated & melted to the shaft? let me know. Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave

i've never had luck with that unless the gear moved slowly. if it is high speed, you're sol. i tried ca and epoxy.

Use a fine file or wet & dry sandpaper to roughen up shaft were nylon gear sits as ell as inside of the nylon gear to provide keys for the cement. Use either Stabilit Express or better, visit local dentist and beg for some of the powder and setting agent used to fix denture plates. refer also to = "Plastic Kits, Resin Kits, Photoetch + Plastic repairs" at Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

Alan T.

Reply to
A.T.

If you find a workable solution, please post it here. I've had the exact same problem several times before and could never find a glue that stuck to nylon permanently. The only long term solution I found was with one gear that had a collar. I drilled a hole through the collar and the axle and pushed a steel wire through pinning them together. The crack in the gear made 2 of the teeth slightly farther apart, so the CD changer mechanism the gear was in never ran quite as smooth again...but at least it ran.

Doug Wagner

Reply to
Doug Wagner

Reply to
Dave

Thanks Dave. I 'll have to keep that in mind for next time. I've used plain ol' Liquid nails before, and found it to be a hell of a tough glue!

Doug Wagner

Reply to
Doug Wagner