OT Pyrodex question

--Well I've determined that a good load for my cannon is 50cc of Pyrodex, F grade. Now what would that equate to in Grains? Couldn't seem to locate a conversion on google...

Reply to
steamer

"steamer" wrote: (clip) Couldn't seem to locate a conversion on google... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You're converting a volume to a weight, so you need to find the density of Pyrodex,

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

AFAIK, Pyrodex is equivalent to black powder on a weight-to-weight, Grain size (F, FF, FFF) basis. Weigh the 50cc charge of Pyrodex and express the result in pounds (decimal part of a pound, actually). Multiply the result by 7000 which is the number of grains to a pound.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Anyone got a Lee powder dipper set? The dippers are in cubic centimeters, so a weight per cc extrapolation can be made off the chart that is in the kit.

Viola!

See if that works. Found it here
Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

DoH!

No Pyrodex F on the chart.

You could just take a full can of Pyrodex, and see how many charges that would make with the 50cc measure.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Probably because you are mixing volume and weight. cc is volume and grain is weight.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

Specific gravity of Fg black powder measure is about 0.98.

50 cc * 0.98 gram/cc = 48 grams = 741 grains.
Reply to
Richard J Kinch

6000 grains in a pound. CC is volume measurement, not weight.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

7000 grains to a pound. Watch that touch typinh.

Ws

Reply to
clutch

Bulk density of Pyrodex is 0.75 grams/cc. 50 cc would therefore be

578.7 grains.
Reply to
Don Foreman

Pyrodex is 0.75 gram/cc.

Don Foreman

yup..only missed it by one key..sigh

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Now is that the same for Priming, R/S or Cannon?

Lots of empty spaces in 50 CCs of Cannon, damned few with Pistol

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Good point, Gunner ! Whaddaya say, Don ? BTW, good to see you again on RCM.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Heck, just dip a 2-lb coffee can in the powder and toss it down the bore. Be sure to post a followup, with links to the video.

Reply to
Rex

I have no idea.

Might be best to measure out 10 cc or so of the stuff in question and then weigh it on a powder scale. Then you KNOW it's right. If you don't have a small graduate for cc (ml), you can make one easily enough. A tube or hole with 0.500 ID and length (depth) of 3.108" would be 10 cc.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Don, I would tend to believe that this may be a good time for Lloyd S. (a regular on this newsgroup) to chirp in on this subject, also it might be a good question to post on rec.pyrotechnics.

I myself, although having been involved in pyrotechnics and firearms for more than 50 years, would be reluctant to make a definitive comment on the subject.

Pyrodex is a black powder alternative to conventional black powder, most in regard to firearms. While it seems sensible to compare the weight of a volume of Pyrodex with that of black powder, I really don't know of any valid comparison between the two. In firworks and muzzle loading rifles, most of us use various grain sizes of black power, usually measure by weight. I really don't know how the two compare.

I would suggest that either Lloyd S. or Mike Swisher might be of more information here, since they both know their stuff. For me, I would be hesitant to use anything but cannon grade black powder in a cannon, but that may be being ultra-conservative. I think that you may find that the issue here is where does Pyrodex fall between black Powder and smokeless powder, and the difference can be very significant.

I'll grant you that I have had only a year or two experinece with cannons, and each of them were fired with cannon grain black powder, while shooting blanks.

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

Pyrodex is a 1 for 1 substitute for blackpowder, based on volume. Substituting an equal weight of Pyrodex for blackpowder could be dangerous.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

According to The Blackpowder Handbook, a 100 grain measure (volume) of Pyrodex RS weighs 70.0 grains, RS select is 67.0 grains, P is 73.5 grains and a 50/50 (50 grain voume equivalent) pellet weighs 37.0 grains. I don't think they make a cannon grade (they have a disclaimer on their web site regarding cannons).

I just weighed ten 50/50 pellets and the average weight is 38.65 grains.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

More importantly, how does one make a cannon on a lathe? Seen the price of brass lately?

John

Reply to
Hogleg