OT: R134a Conversion

No, not really Ted. Although it certainly appears that the HC refrigerant lobby* got to somebody.

Just thought the OP might like to know the legal implications.

(* easily found at any flea market)

Reply to
aarcuda69062

No, DuPont got to congress. They have the patent on R-134a and the patents on R-12/22/etc. were expiring.

I can't find the reference but I believe I read that some refrigeration units for 18 wheelers use propane both for the refrigerant and the compressor motor. In case of an accident, the propane in the cooling system is not going to make a noticeable difference when the propane tank is dumping it's contents.

Teri

Reply to
mschips

Oh, probably a Ford of some sort. (:

Reply to
B.B.

No, but my brother's '65 Ford pickup (yeah, I know it was 40 years ago) as well as all others at the time had the gas tank directly behind the seat inside the cab. I don't know when they changed but it was probably gov mandated instead of simple common sense. GM then put the tank outside the frame rails about at the gov mandated passenger car bumper height. Seems that GM simply didn't have much common sense :-)

Reply to
mschips

Plain isopropyl alcohol makes a dandy flush for these systems. Add dye when you refill it so leaks later are easy to spot. Double check all of your lubricants and desiccants if you decide to convert. Any mistakes there will ruin your day.

Reply to
B.B.

The in-cab tanks were still present for at least several more years. These are easily seen where the filler necks/cap are coming out of the cab corner, at least as late as 1969 (but I think longer than that).

WB ...............

Reply to
Wild Bill

Fuel lines plumbed thru the passenger compartment aren't good design work.

So just have the fuel tank top shell as the floor of the trunk or the rear section of a hatchback.

WB ...........

Reply to
Wild Bill

Boy that old myth just keeps hanging on. DuPont had NOTHING to do with it. The feds mandated a different refrigerant because of the chicken little greenies complaining about the ozone. DuPont also do not have the "patents" on 134A. 134A is available through at least the companies other than DuPont, just like R-12 was (and still is in other countries). When it first came out they had a 2 year exclusive manufacturers allowance. After that it was fair game for anyone who wanted to produce it.

Oh and to dispel another myth - Yes R12 is still available. You do need a 609 card to buy it.

The propane powered units only run the engine off propane. The compressors are all 110volt AC units. The engine runs an alternator that powers the motor. They use R-22, R134A, R12 in the US.

Reply to
Steve W.

I bought a VW in '63 and when they installed the gasoline fired heater (Canada, you know) in the luggage compartment, aimed at the front passenger's feet, the tee'd into the fuel line between the fuel pump and the carb. then ran the branch through the roof edge channel back up front beside the fuel tank. When I think back, I shudder at all the possibilities. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Right. R-12 was around before WWII.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Still sounds like DuPont got to some comgressmen, exclusive "allowance" indeed! Sure, others can make it under licence and PROFIT (Ferengi's fav word) for DuPont.

May your PROGENY and theirs curse you for suffer Boy that old myth just keeps hanging on. DuPont had NOTHING to do with it. The feds mandated a different refrigerant because of the chicken little greenies complaining about the ozone. DuPont also do not have the "patents" on 134A. 134A is available through at least the companies other than DuPont, just like R-12 was (and still is in other countries). When it first came out they had a 2 year exclusive manufacturers allowance. After that it was fair game for anyone who wanted to produce it.

Reply to
mschips

I think my Ford is a '73, it's got the tank in the cab. It's a good place for it, 'cause it stays dry and clean, but when you get hit in the driver's side it's a bad place for it.. pretty efficient carburetion inside the cab when the rubber tube seperates from the tank neck and the tank gets quickly compressed.

John

Reply to
JohnM