OT relocating a deck/pool

My parents have a 4 year old 16x32 doughboy oval pool. They have torn the liner inadvertantly cleaning it and have decided they dont want it anymore. They just put a salt water system in it last year. The deck completely encirles the pool and cost a lit of money.

How hard would it be to take this apart and reuse both the deck and pool at my house? How would you go about taking apart the deck in pieces where it could be reassembled? I have a tractor and trailer at my disposal. I appreciate any advice.

Do these things increase/decrease the value of your home?

Reply to
stryped

Vinyl repairs kits are available for these which are effective, and reasonably priced.

I might be interested in the generator cell and controller if it ends up for sale

They are not very difficult to take apart and re-assemble provided they haven't been sitting there rusting for going on several years--I did one about 20 years ago....bought it used off the nickel ads, no problems to speak of...IIRC I had to patch the area where the skimmer attaches to the sidewall before we bolted the skimmer back on was all...

If the deck surface is made of wood and screws were used then you should be able to salvage most if not all of the decking--although the joists might need to be cut down a bit in which you will end up with slightly less square footage on the platform.

Depends a lot on the prospective buyer IMO....

FWIW, I've no doubt that even if you don't want to take it home it's still definately worth some fairly serious money if you can line up a buyer....so you might want to check craigslist and see what these are going for in your area--usually, it is stipulated that the buyer needs to tear it out...

--so unless it's totally trashed then at the very least you should be able to find someone that will haul it away for free because they also make excellent reservoirs for rainwater irrigation systems and also can be adapted for potable water storage in desert climates.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Liners are usually more or less generic, you just need the pool dimensions and style and get a new one.

The pool shouldn't be that hard, most are designed to go together real easy, Mark EVERY joint and part location.

How would you go about taking apart the deck in

Well the easy way would be to go under it and section it out. Since you have a big truck available I would go under there and see what the joists and posts look like. Post wise you would pick the shortest one, then mark and cut them all the same length. When you lay out the deck at your place you dig the footers and install the concrete tubes to a level height with a post plate on top.

For the deck itself you pick locations with the fewest cuts, then cut the joists STRAIGHT and take down the deck. When you place it back together just sister each joint with a new section of wood and secure it with glue and stainless screws.

I have a tractor and trailer at

Usually they increase the value BUT many times they also increase your taxes. Check your local laws regarding fences. alarms and the like.

Reply to
Steve W.

Why don't you ask on news:alt.home.repair or some other, more appropriate group?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Mark it - HOW?

I got called on that once too.

Might be a good chance to discuss technique?

How do you mark something you are going to take apart so that you can put it back together again?

Reply to
CaveLamb

Draw a line where everything will be cut or unbolted, and with a bold marker, mark them

1 ->||
Reply to
Rich Grise

Let me put it this way. I did it once. I would NEVER do it again. That was just the pool. The deck would be a separate nightmare.

YMMV

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

They make these items called Felt Tip Markers, They can be used to draw shapes or to write on objects....

First grab your camera and take pictures of the items as they sit.

Next pick one of the joints on the pool and start with a simple number and arrow matching scheme.

(like Rich shows)

So you take one of the uprights, tag one end as the bottom, then mark the top where the pieces join under the trim caps. Mark the trim caps and sections as well, and make SURE you get all the parts. Most of the older pools have a rim and brackets on the bottom and they may be covered with sand/dirt. There are usually a few cross pieces as well.

Easy you use number/letters/combinations and if you really get stumped add colors to the mix.

For the deck it will be easy, unless it's a huge deck you can probably move it in 4 - 6 pieces.

Reply to
Steve W.

Recently I helped a friend remove an old round aboveground pool and move the deck around. On his pool at least all the pieces were identical and wouldn't need to be marked for reassembly. I cut up the steel liner into easily handled 8' lengths with an air shear while he held the remaining wall upright.

The crew that installed the new pool placed two planks inside and stood the rolled-up wall on one. After pre-placing stakes, ropes and spring clamps to guy the wall upright one slid the roll down the plank while two others set it in the lower guide rail and attached the ropes.

I raised and moved the ~8'x24' curved deck with floor jacks on planks. The job didn't go well enough to describe here, though we did manage to put it back in position without damaging it. Had it been my deck I would have reworked it into manageable independent pieces that bolted together, the way I built raised platforms for theater scenery.

I first did that to build the three houses in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, and coincidentally watched a good performance of it last night.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

[...]

With Phil Silvers or Zero Mostel playing Pseudolus? I never saw it in New York, but I saw it on summer tour at St. John Terrell's (no relation, by my guess) Theatre in the Round, with Silvers. I'll never forget it...especially the mail-order virgin, who was over 6' tall. Jeez.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Given option A and option B, I'm the guy at work that always comes up with Option C.

Instead of thinking about disassembling the deck, cut it into modular sections that 4 guys can handle and get onto the trailer, where cut sections include the decking and the joists, but maybe not the next level down of support (larger beams) unless maybe the joists terminate on them with joist hangers.

If you need to add some material to make the sections self-supporting before cutting out sections, I think you'll still be ahead of the game as you have a good shot at tying sections together halfway decently (metal plates for the under-bits, just let the decking have a slightly- gapped butt joint) compared to disassembling and re-assembling (and all those individual pieces will never ever go back together quite right).

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D

They were locals, and very, very good.

seacoast is a popular Boston and New York vacation area that supports several excellent summer stock theatre companies. The one I was in had a number of members who had returned from the Broadway stage for family reasons. Doctors and lawyers can be remarkably talented actors.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Aha. A current one. I saw it in 1967.

It is a classic comedy.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

They were locals, and very, very good.

seacoast is a popular Boston and New York vacation area that supports several excellent summer stock theatre companies. The one I was in had a number of members who had returned from the Broadway stage for family reasons. Doctors and lawyers can be remarkably talented actors.

jsw

I was a teenager when I saw it live onstage in Las Vegas, at the Riviera, IIRC. Dick Shawn was hilarious as the shifty slave. Two people, with dinner, toke, and $5 to the maitre'd was about $35. Saw many broadway show plays in Vegas, and thoroughly enjoyed every one of them. Back in the old days ..............

Steve

Reply to
Steve B