pool motor starter cap

Hi all ,

My pool pump has been playing up for a day or two , runs for an hour or so then shuts down , (overheating) I have taken motor out and the starter capacitor is ruptured i think it is

60uF 450VAC cant read much else , motor is a 4.3Amp Model LTP750 made bY ONGA pumps . My questions are

  1. Should i just change starter capacitor and refit

  1. What could cause overheat problem ( bearings aside)
  2. Do i need exact replacement capacitor

thanks

Reply to
sticks

Richard Bennett

Depending on when you last serviced the unit. It could be time to check the pump, bearings and etc. I toasted my pump a couple of years ago. Took it out and down to the pool place as I was leaving town (again, work related). They politely told me that the motor was fixable but the pump was shot. So no matter what I did to the motor the pump was not going to do the job. For me it was easier to replace as a unit with new warrantee and be done with it.

Reply to
SQLit

Don't know the particular motor, but it seems possible that the failed capacitor is a "run" capacitor which should be constantly in circuit with the second "run" winding to provide phase shift to that winding. The motor would be in essence a pseudo two phase motor. Failure of the capacitor would explain the overheating. The voltage rating of 450v also indicates a "run" cap, but 60 uf seems a bit high.??

Failure of a "start" cap would mean the motor would not start, just hum & heat up. I would expect a "start" cap to have a value of 150-200uf & 250v.

Have you considered contacting ONGA or one of their agents?

Reply to
Chas

Hrm .. sorry to hi-jack the thread a bit, but just curious .. If the starter cap is gone, would it cause it to start only sometimes? perhaps failing/damaged but still able to work? Sometimes it starts fine, sometimes it does exactly what you said above .. humms for a while, then clicks off from overheating .. then re-tries a few mins later .. If you give it a flick by hand it will always start going .. and sometimes it starts fine, othertimes it jams like this ..

Where do you go to get a suitable starter cap if this is the case?

Thanks :)

Reply to
Lord-Data

That sounds more like a start-cap with a defective centrifugal switch. When the motor shuts off, if the switch doesn't re-close, the next start will fail and just 'hummmm'. Manually spinning it will start up the motor. Then when it shuts off next time, if the switch *does* re-close, it will start normally.

Some motors have a sleeve that slides along the shaft to close/open the switch. If that sleeve gets gummed up and doesn't move easily, you get the symptoms you describe.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom