OT: Shopping for a replacement for my Saturn

Darn,

I thought I was going to be able to aford a mini-mill this year to turn into a cnc but unfortuantly I was in a head on collision and my trusty old Saturn SL is done. Now I gotta buy another car.

I'm in somewhat better shape but laughing and coughing is a real pain in the chest.

Anyway, I'd be interested if anyone here that is into compact cars has a Ford Focus and what you think of it. I'll probably be buying one tomorrow followed by ordering the factory service manual. Having the manual set for my Saturn saved me big bucks over the years.

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Sorry to hear this Wes. No idea about small cars, I drive a pickup.

Ignoramus12759

The Focus has been a little trooper for me. I bought a 2001 with the manual 5 speed and SPI 2.0L engine, 34K on it. Now its at 112k and still rolling.

In the summer, it holds in the 33-35 MPG range, now in winter its down to 30-33 ish MPG. Starts in cold weather, runs long distance at high speed (920 miles in 16 hours, NJ to WI).

What has failed -

Ignition lock cylinder totally froze up one day in August 07. Original cylinders were too cheap. Replacement cylinder was built heavier. This sorta sucks when it fails, since it locks the steering column. The warning sign is simple - the key has occasional difficulty in turning. IIRC, NAPA replacements come from the same manufacturer that Ford uses to replace failed units.

Driver's side rear door latch wouldn't catch. This was due to corrosion caused by the component metal and lubricant amount. IIRC, using a good grade of lubricant solves the problem.

Vehicle Speed Sensor VSS This sensor sends speed to the ECM. Signs that its having problems - odometer stops counting, or goes to all "-----". If you have the automatic sound volume enabled on your radio, the volume drops when the VSS cuts out. Some cars react more to failure, like limp home mode or really crappy response. I let mine go too long, and it had melted inside the transmission case. Ford mechanics had to drop the tranny and chisel it out. $$$ If you get to it early, it can be removed with much less pain.

Not sure if this is common, but the shift lever spring broke. You can still shift and it stays in gear, but you will miss the shift gates. No speed shifting!

Check if the ECM has the latest version flashed to it. I had an erroneous coolant light in Jan 05, in freezing weather. Turn it on, and the light stayed on. New flash corrected it.

bucks over the

Reply to
Louis Ohland

The brake rotors might not be turnable. Mine were pulsing, took it in to the dealer, the tech had them turned, six months later they started to pulse again. Another tech told me they should not be turned, but replaced. Thank goodness I had bought the extended warranty when I bought it from them. Ford... decent products, but sometimes you find a dealership that can't effectively maintain them...

If you do a panic stop, stomp on the clutch pedal, you might break the clutch interlock switch that is mounted up on the clutch pedal arm. Engine will run until you shut it off, but won't start. Simple hack to get going, put it in neutral, apply parking brake, get under the steering wheel, push in the plunger on the switch, then start it.

Brake pedal has a similar switch, but it lights up the brake lights when it's broke. I got to speak twice to f> The Focus has been a little trooper for me. I bought a 2001 with the

Reply to
Louis Ohland

I got a used Escort ZX2, because when they first came out in the US the Focus was reputed to have quality problems (the design was good, but got lost somewhere in the migration to US manufacture). I've heard that they got a lot better after a year or two. I love my ZX2 to pieces, and I understand that people feel the same way about their Focii.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

How did you get in a head-on collision? Where were you looking when you were supposed to be looking in front of the car?

The most fundamental rule of driving:

  1. Look in front of the car.
  2. If there's something there, don't go there.

So, please, enlighten me - what would be your excuse for driving headon into another vehicle?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I beg to differ. The very first collision I ever got into was between the back of my mom's station wagon, and a fence (I was 14, my brother was teaching me out in the back field). Rule one should read

1: look in the direction the car is going

(I was looking in front of the car s I backed into the fence).

As I've stated it, rule 1 is even of some use if the car is skidding sideways into a telephone pole and you are a passenger -- it tells you un- clutch your hands from the windowsill, and get them _away_ from the goddamn pole!

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Sure glad you get to be holy than thou.

My wife had a driver pull directly into her front end. The vehicles were going opposite directions, each vehicle going 30 -

40 MPH. The air bag probably kept her alive, but she was pushing on the brake so hard that the collision broke her fibula and tibia (I'm not sure about the spelling). He had no insurance, she was in the hospital for over a week, pins in her leg, several months of recuperation, and she still has pain in the leg 5 years later. We never received a dime, our insurance valued our car at lowest possible NADA. Thank the good Lord our health insurance paid her medical. I don't wish bad on others, but you, sir, can only hope something similar doesn't happen to you.

I can't believe you would dare to ask or insinuate anything similar to what you did.

Reply to
DanG

Dan , is uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage available where you live ? I have this coverage on all our vehicles , it has saved my ass more than once . Basically , your insurance company pays your medical/property damage/P&S , then goes after the person/s that caused your injury/damage . Said person/s usually wish they'd had insurance , when they get a lawsuit demanding tens of thousands of dollars . Plus attorney fees ...

Reply to
Snag

My son has had his Focus for 9 years, is still very satisfied with it.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I bought one today. It didn't take long. I took it for a test drive, decided I liked it and an hour later I put money down, financed the rest. I could have paid it all off but after losing a job 6/2001 in Michigan, I'm pretty tight with cash reserves.

I spent more time driving mom's gmc home with the wash rack guy driving my new ride and delivering him back to work. He was pretty happy, paid for 90 minutes of driving and riding.

2009 Focus SE 28K miles. It will have 54K miles by this time next year. That is why I don't buy new. I still have some bumper to bumper and a longer power train warrenty.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Rich, do you think I'm freaking stupid? I know that. I'm a member or near member of the

1,000,000 mile club and I live in the snow belt. I've hit one turkey and one deer in all those miles and I live in the country, drive in darkness and all weather conditions that are not optional.

You will just have to wonder. My friends, if they ask privately, will get the run down. Ultimately, since I was the driver, it is my fault no matter how bad or how severely conditions changed in a matter of seconds. Even if the county abdicated their reponsibility on maintaining a major road way to balance their budget and pay bloated pensions. It is like the captain of a ship, some guy on watch is drunk on his ass and runs it aground, it is still the captain that gets hung out to dry.

Wes

Wes

Have your dealer throw in a set of manuals as part of the deal... only not a Ford dealer.

Have a Honda dealer get them for you, after buying a Civic or Fit. There should be three manuals... 'Service Manual', 'Electrical Troubleshooting Manual' or 'ETM' as they say in the Biz, and a 'Body Repair Manual'... the body book isn't all that important imho.

The salesperson will look at you like your from Mars, and probably say that no one has ever asked for anything like that before, but the manuals come from the parts like any other option. Be sure to heavily stress 'Service Manual' and 'Electrical Troubleshooting Manual' or they might just get you another owners manual or two.

If your going to spend quality money, you may as well get a quality product... and yes, I prefer to buy American if there is comparable quality.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Is an 'amature' an amateur armature, mon?

-- "A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." --Edward Abbey

Reply to
Larry Jaques