OT: Static First

I've always been careful about static when grubbing around inside computers, changing out/upgrading hardware etc. Always touched the case before
touching any card/module whether it's already inside, or sitting on the table.
Last night I was putting the side cover back on the server machine when, ZAP, a bolt shot out at least a quarter inch from my index finger to the computer's case. Killed the CPU right quick... as evidenced by my ssh connection being killed, no ssh could be reestablished, and a command to reboot was refused. Fans came on, indicator LEDs came on, but not a pixel on the monitor.
Oh well. It's been on my roundtuit list for awhile to swap out that old VIA-750Mhz w/512MB RAM running FreeBSD 7.0 for the "new" one: a VIA 1.5 Ghz w/2GB RAM which I was going to get all set up with FBSD 7.2 before putting it into service. As it is, I just swapped a line in rc.conf for the ethernet, deleted the old Xorg.conf file (onboard Chrome video on the new MB doesn't like a conf file for the old addon Matrox card), and everything works the same as before, except leafnode serves up the new headers twice as fast as before. That's nice. Anyway. I guess the moral of the story is "grounding" yourself to the computer case isn't such a good idea on those really, REALLY static-filled days.
--
☯☯

What is the %RH where you are working?
2010 19:57:23 -0500, Wes, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

No idea except for "VERY low." weather.com used to have a calculator that would tell you what your indoor RH is based on outdoor RH, temp, and indoor temp. I can't seem to find that anymore.
--
☯☯

Steve Ackman wrote:

It's not surprising.
Looking at the weather map, it's damned cold and *dry* almost everywhere.
Get thee a humidifier before fixing anything else... :)
--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb /
19:27:42 -0600, cavelamb, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote:

I have one... in storage. ;-/
--
☯☯

Boss comes in the CAD room holding a hard-to-get sample of a new device I'm drawing the schematic for. He starts explaining something and points to the device symbol on the 21" glass CRT screen and
SNAP,
the component in his hand is fried by its image on the screen. Those big CRT monitors built up a very substantial charge on the face of the glass.
At least I had a mechanical sample for the PC board layout. It was a difficult board, 1.5 GHz all over it.
jsw
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 18:51:05 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yup, big dust magnets they are.
--
☯☯

A few products may be worthwhile to use regularly, or when working around sensitive assemblies.
Some type of Static-Gaurd liquid sprayed around on the chair, bench area, floor, clothing, hair and shoes can reduce static buildup. Avoid creating any sparks for a while afer this product is applied (don't hose yourself down, then ligh a smoke or candle, etc).
Avoid polyester fabric clothing.
Wear a satic dissipating wrist or ankle strap.
Humidify the work area to a safe level.
--
WB
metalworking projects
21:49:30 -0500, Wild_Bill, wb snipped-for-privacy@XSPAMyahoo.com wrote:

Fabric softener is a good thing too. As I now realize, I was wearing a brand new flannel shirt that hadn't been laundered yet. No fabric softener within the matrix.
--
☯☯
Unlimited webspace - Unlimited bandwidth

Last Monday I thought I would print out a few pages for a friend that doesn't have net access. Hooked up my printer (normally setting off to the side, out of the way) and then hit the power strip for the computer. ZAP! Sounded just like a fuse blew, but the pilot light was still on for the outlet strip. After I collected my thoughts, tried powering up the computer. Keyboard error, no mouse, no serial port, no parallel port... but the hard drive, video, keyboard sorta work. Wasn't a bad keyboard, mouse, serial connection either.
I'm an old electronics tech... pulled the motherboard out, nothing obvious, was hoping to find a burned/open trace for signal ground maybe...
Ended up getting my old 486DX40 out running Win3.1x. It will have to do till I figure out something else. Think I'm going to try getting something used that I can try putting Umbunto on or some other form of Linux. I've been putting off learning Linux, time to get on with it I guess. I've been using a lot of Unix type programs/ports for years now anyway.
Big ZAPS! really aren't much fun :(
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI | Zone 5b
Leon Fisk wrote:
(...)

http://www.ubuntu.com / http://www.linuxcnc.org/content/view/2/4/lang,english /
Works great!
--Winston
--

You taught me tolerance, kindness, generosity and optimism.

By example, yes?
Winston, snipped-for-privacy@bigbrother.net wrote:

Hmm... User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (Windows/20090812)
--
☯☯

Steve Ackman wrote:

Busted!
I use Ubuntu to control the mill and on SWMBO's notebook. XP on this machine because I use Rhino3D every day.
So there. :)
--Winston
--

You taught me tolerance, kindness, generosity and optimism.

By example, yes?
17:01:06 -0400, Leon Fisk, snipped-for-privacy@no.spam.iserv.net wrote:

Was this a static discharge from you to the power strip, or some unknown ZAP from powering it up?

From an Aug web page of mine: This VIA micro-ATX motherboard w/ integrated 1.5 Ghz C7-D CPU was $10.50 through eBay, shipping included. The 2 GB RAM was $20.38, shipping included, and the $16.98 power supply I'm waiting on (this board needs the 24-pin plug -- power supplies I have are all 20-pin) was also purchased through eBay, also, shipping included. So, grand total for the server "upgrade" (pretty much a whole new computer) - $47.86. Can't beat that!
Since servers run 24/7, I like the VIAs' low power consumption. CPU + PS + fans + HD draws 42 watts @ idle.

Ubuntu or more specifically Kubuntu is generally considered the easiest transition for Windows users. I hate KDE though, so put Xubuntu on my wife's computer. PCLinuxOS is also very user friendly. I don't like it as well (comes with KDE), but it's the distribution that "just worked" on the wireless card in our Acer laptop.

I first heard about it around '93, but it wasn't until '97 that I had a computer that could run it. After all, you needed FOUR MEGABYTES of RAM... (Anyway, I was pretty happy with PCGEOS at the time.)
--
☯☯

<snip>

Some sort of power-up problem. I've had the printer hooked up numerous times, but can't recall having the printer plugged in (to a different outlet via a three-prong adapter) and data cable hooked up before powering up the computers strip. The three prong cheater really shouldn't matter, unless there is something not-quite-right somewhere :) I'll have to check into that aspect, thought before trying that combo again.
The computer has had some strange quirks powering up right along, I kinda got use to them though seeing they didn't seem to change any. Haven't gotten around to seeing if the printer still works or not. It does power-up, but haven't hooked it to a known good parallel port yet. Doesn't really matter, in all my years working on electronic stuff I've yet to figure out a way to undo a zap or put the magic smoke back.
It was just an old Compaq Presario, AMD-K6 500mhz running WinNT4 and 98 (for USB). A friend gave it to me several years ago for doing a few favors. But it WAS working pretty well for the stuff I putz around with. Fastest computer I've ever used.
<snip>

<snip>
I'll probably try resurrecting it somehow after I pout for awhile. Got way too much stuff on the hard drive I don't want to part with and I know that part is still working okay. Your fix/build is cool if you have enough info and parts to scrounge from. I'm just a one man show anymore with very little budget. I already have enough white-elephants around that sounded like they should work but didn't quite.
We have a big electronics recycler in town that has a Thrift store. I'm going to try stopping by and see what kind of stuff they may have when I get a chance. Good a place as any to start I guess.

I'm pretty comfortable working from a prompt. Just have to find/learn a bunch of new utilities, tools, proggies to get back to what I am accustomed to being able to do.
Umbunto seems to have a pretty good following right now and seems like as good a place as any to start. Almost seems to be too many ~Linux choices nowadays, but I enjoy tinkering for the most part (shrug).

I heard about Linux around the same time but didn't really have any reason to try it. This machine (486DX40 16mb RAM) would have worked well back then. You really wouldn't want to know how many $$$$ I have invested in this old clunker through the years. Probably why I still have it :) Even the clock is keeping up again now that it gets powered up most every day. Awful slow though and the OS is far from being stable.
Just though you might take heart in knowing that someone else was having a bad week with their computer too.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI | Zone 5b
Steve Ackman wrote:

Was that the GEOS that had the banner program? I've looked for a replacement many times, nothing is as good.
technomaNge
--
Due to anticipated high turnout in 2010's election,
the Electorial College has scheduled:
-0600, technomaNge, snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com wrote:

That was the GEOS that came with Desktop Publishing, Spreadsheet, and Database. That's the GEOS that the aol frontend was built on... and yes it did have a banner program.
--
☯☯

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 19:33:14 -0700, Steve Ackman

If you want a FAST and easy dual boot windows/linux install...try Mint Linux.
Works great!
Its what Im using at the moment..with Agent under Wine <G>
Gunner
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766
13:19:28 -0800, Gunner Asch, snipped-for-privacy@lightspeed.net wrote:

What's windows?

I'm happy for you.

What's Wine?
;-)
Anyway, I've never owned windoze, and never will. If $IT requires Windows, I don't require $IT.
--
☯☯

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 16:05:34 -0700, Steve Ackman

An Apple fanatic is a terrible thing to watch, when he starts asking questions 95% of the rest of the people already know.
Rest easy old chap..keep on taking the bite out of the apple and no one will bother you.